Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold sunday morning in ontario  (Read 5428 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Cold sunday morning in ontario
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:25 pm »

When the sky is blue, why does snow not-in-shadow not appear blue-tinged?

Is the reflection from snow not-in-shadow more blue or less blue than from snow in-shadow, and why?
When the sky is blue, the non-shadow snow is being lit directly from the sun, which isn't blue. The shadows are not in direct sunlight, so they are in fact being lit by the blue sky. Very simple.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:54 am »

When the sky is blue, the non-shadow snow is being lit directly from the sun, which isn't blue. The shadows are not in direct sunlight, so they are in fact being lit by the blue sky. Very simple.

Yes, the non-shadow snow is lit by "white" light directly from the sun.

The shadows by definition are not lit by direct light, the light that reaches the shadows is light that's been scattered in all directions in the atmosphere, and blue light is scattered more than other wavelengths.

Perhaps we should say that, we see the shadow snow as blue-ish for the same reason we see the sky as blue.

Now for the interesting questions:
- do we see the shadow snow as blue-ish on cloudy days?
- if not, is that because the clouds scatter and re-scatter light so much that the different wavelengths are mixed again, more white less blue?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:36:31 pm by Isaac »

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »

Love the old house. Not sure I'd venture out into that cold stuff to get the shot but since I haven't seen a snow flake this year I can sit back and enjoy your shots instead!

And there is blue snow because it's white and reflecting a blue sky. If the snow where blue, it would be white under the blue sky.. Seems right to me.. (-:}..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:36:06 pm by arlon »
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Fine_Art

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »

The original has correct color. If you are out with a rising or setting sun and blue sky, snow shadows appear purple-blue. If you think otherwise it is your imagination. You have to be there. As stated above, if it is overcast the shadows appear grey.

This shot has reduced purple in the snow from what it is really like. I reduced it only due to people thinking there is a magenta cast.

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 02:15:46 am »

Beautiful!  I adore them all, but especially #2.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up