Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer reccomendation for Hand Made Books  (Read 1425 times)

hacimd

Printer reccomendation for Hand Made Books
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:23:25 pm »

Hello.  I'm looking for some suggestions on a lazer jet printer that would be ideal for supporting a Hand Made Book course.  Currently the class is designing books using INDESIGN software and printing on the EPSON 4900, which seems to much more appropriate for printing photographs.  The ideal printer would be able to handle a variety of different papers, front and back printing options, somewhat reasonably priced and could handle the heavy usage of frustrated and overwhelmed students.  I know the last wish is not very realistic- ha.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank You.

JeanMichel

Re: Printer reccomendation for Hand Made Books
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »

Hi,
To print correctly from InDesign you need a printer that supports PostScript. Since you already have a 4900 you can purchase a RIP software for it and then you will be able use it effectively to print directly from InDesign. Check ImagePrint from ColorByte, in Canada the cost of their rip for the 4900 is about $900.
Jean-Michel

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:04 am »

There is no need to get any kind of special software to print from InDesign, and you don't need a printer that supports PostScript. That's what printer drivers are for :)

I believe the request is for a colour laser printer to do low-cost prints for a hand-made book course. I don't believe you will find what you want, Hacimd, if you want to print on a wide variety of paper. Colour laser printers are much more geared towards business printing than art printing.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:41:45 am »

The ideal solution would be light production digital press. I'm using Xerox DC252 + EFI Fiery EX260 controller - it offers good quality, low running costs, and it's pretty tough, so students won't brake it unless they do something really stupid. New Xerox 550 (succesor of DC252, virtually same printer) costs much, much more than SP4900, but I'd search for a lightly used DC240/242, 250/252 in your area.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:47:36 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

hacimd

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:18 am »

Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I appreciate your info.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

I've just finished my first book produced with InDesign and an Epson 4800.  It worked fine, other than the physical limitations of the Epson.  It won't print edge to edge.  There are always unequal borders on the leading and trailing edge of the print that need to be accounted for in ID.  If you're trimming the resulting prints, this is not a problem.  If you don't want to trim the prints, it's a PITA.  This may or may not be true on other printers.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:32:15 pm »

While I'm a die-hard water-based pigment inkjet printers aficiando, I must admit they're not designed for fast, convenient and inexpensive double side printing.

Small format digital press with a decent RIP controller is an expansive toy, but - contrary to inkjet printers - it's born for such type of job. It accepts PDFs, makes automatic imposition (as option), prints on various kinds of inexpansive papers, and (with optional finisher) sorts, folds, punches, and creates booklets. It can print 40-60 A4/letter pages per minute, and the "click cost" is very low.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:08:34 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up