Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to protect your digiback in cold climate ?  (Read 2689 times)

parkn123

How to protect your digiback in cold climate ?
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:42:47 pm »

Dears,
 Any photographer who can tell your ways to protect your digiback when taking photos in cold(snow) climate ? Is it the same as DSLRs ?

Regards,

Wilbur

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
Re: How to protect your digiback in cold climate ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:03 pm »

I've used my P65+, Aptus 12 and IQ180 in snow on many occasions, in temps down as low as -17C. I take no special precautions other than making sure I don't let much snow directly on the camera. Usually the cam is so cold the snow just sits there till you blow it off. I keep the camera inside a coat or camera bag thats been treated with water repellant or as I sometimes do, just carry it on my tripod with a plastic bag over it. If I am shooting in lots of falling snow, I usually hold an umbrella over it.
Keeping batteries warm is more of an issue......
Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

jsiva

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:40 pm »

I have used my DF/IQ180 in pretty cold weather for extended times.  Only issue I noticed is that the back goes through batteries very fast, otherwise nothing specific to report.  My problem is keeping myself warm :)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:11:39 am »

How about hasselblad users?

Gel

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:55:43 am »

I think my H4D50 would appreciate the cold.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:32:36 am »

Due to the design, you are warming the batteries with your hand when you shoot handheld.

So mostly your fingers fall off first, before your battery stops. :)

julienlanoo

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:49 am »

Well no real real precautions to the DB, it works fine, just batteries going faster..
To solve it a little bit, i use 2 of those "warming" pauches in my camerabag, ( you know the kind you shake and it gets hot for 3h), i buy them at "decathlon" sports shop.. 
Als use them to keep myself warm ...
works fine.. :)

I remarked my "copal's" had some miss-fires bellow -5 C, but same thing 5-10 minits in a hot camera back and that's solved.. :)

Since working on DB no real issues with warmth or cold,

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:07 am »

I had a shot in -26 with my 5D mkii last weekend and it was fine. You don't think the hasselblad will have any problems at that temp?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:36:52 pm »

I've shot in winter conditions in Jackson Hole WY the past 3-years using a combination of a P45, P65 and now an IQ160 with no problems.  The conditions include snow, sleet and way below 0 temps.  When going out for the day I always make certain the battery is fully charged and carry at least 2-more in an inside pocket to keep warm.  I'll switch batteries out as the morning goes on in order to reheat the battery being used.  Most of the time I gave up due to the conditions way before the back did.

Don

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »

Condensation is something to watch out for.

This can be an issue in both hot climates and cold but it's the same problem.

The problem is going form cold and dry air to warm/hot and humid.

In the summer this can be going form a very air conditioned car to a very hot and humid outside.
The humidity will condense in and on the cold camera. This is particularly a problem if you get out of the car and for example change a lens or battery etc.

In the winter the problem is still going from cold to warm and humid. Anywhere you see condensation on an external window is a potential risk.
For example a potential problem is being on a hike in very cold dry weather and walking into a hot coffee shop or restaurant.

IF the camera is really cold from a long time outside it takes a while for the body and especially the heavier back to warm up. During that time
condensation occurs. It may even be less visible outside where the camera warms up quicker.

Also keep in mind that putting a camera under your coat will expose it to body humidity especially if you are on an energetic hike.
What is worse is that body humidity is also somewhat acidic.

The can also be an issue for non weather sealed lenses. Humidity gets in and condenses on the internal parts. This in the long run leads can
lead to mold. Even nearly invisible mold will affect sharpness and contrast. In particular with lenses you have to be careful
due to the way they breath is they are not internal focusing and weather sealed. Set your lens to close focus before going from dry and cold to hot and warm.
What you really do not want to do is to have the cold lens at infinity and go into a warmer humid environment and close focus. This will
suck in warm humid air.
I've sen people come in off a mountain trail into a restaurant and start reviewing photos on their camera and have to wipe condensation off the screen.

Now I don't want to make this sound more dramatic than it is, but do keep in mind that the winter is when mold spores sort of "hibernate" and they
come to life when they are warmed up.

For MFD in these conditions the Pentax 645D with it's superior weather sealing is a good choice if a crop sensor is OK.

Dropping you camera into a ziplock bag with a pouch of silica gel before going from cold to hot and humid is a good idea.

Also keeping the inside of digital backs warm and powered while the camera warms up during the temperature change is a good precaution.

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

While cold in it's self is great for electronics..... less noise etc it is not good for battery life.

Keeping the battery warm helps, but they get cold quick when in use.

There is a really great workaround for P Series backs. There is a Canon battery charger that also works as an external battery holder
that uses the same batteries as P series backs.

It comes with a connector with a dummy battery on one end and connects to the back.

You can use your regular back batteries or buy huge ones. The charger also comes with a belt clip.

You can keep the batteries warm under your coat and with two hefty batteries you can keep going for a loooong time.
Makes a great dual battery charger two.

They go for about $ 80 on ebay. It's a high quality charger too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up