Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 279566 times)

billh

Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »

Thanks Rand. The subject is fascinating. I assumed images like the trees you posted were the province off view cameras, or perhaps the shift/tilt lenses. This really opens up possibilities for macro, and as you point out for landscape photography too.

Themsquaredgroup

« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »

I use photoshop and Lightroom. For these photos i just pulled back the saturation. Nothing else.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

Finally, Foveon's signature yellow-greenish cast put to a good use ;)

palpman

« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2013, 01:43:42 pm »

Fall is coming, I'm looking forward to using the DP3M for nature and landscapes.

Rand47

« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

Eight-frame focus stack in Helicon.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:38:38 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »

That's really fine lighting, composition and colors! Excellent!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:25:07 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rand47

« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2013, 08:55:27 pm »

That's really fine lighting, composition and colors! Excellent1

Slobodan,

Thanks very much, appreciate the comment all the more coming from you!
Window light with lots of reflectors and scrims to shape the light. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

francois

« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2013, 06:03:27 am »

Fall is coming, I'm looking forward to using the DP3M for nature and landscapes.

Where is it?
Francois

NancyP

« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »

Rand 47, everything about that shot is just right / harmonious.

palpman

« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2013, 02:29:01 pm »

francois:

This is in Switzerland, near Jaun to be precise. More pics will follow soon, the colors here are getting just amazing!

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:16 pm »

Rand47
Nice image! Looks great!
Rolleiflex USA

francois

« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20:37 am »

francois:

This is in Switzerland, near Jaun to be precise. More pics will follow soon, the colors here are getting just amazing!

Hi,
Thanks for the info… I'll try to visit that region and I'm eager to see new images!
Francois

billh

« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2013, 07:03:29 pm »

Eight-frame focus stack in Helicon.

I never much cared for this type of image in a painting, but here, this is simply stunning. Clearly every facet of this photo is technically perfect, but there is something beyond that, and this is what is so intriguing and beguiling.

Rand47

« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2013, 08:42:36 pm »

Nancy, Eric, Bill ...

Thank you for the kind words.  The little DPs are allowing me to move in a direction I've always loved - with the look, feel and detail I've never been able to achieve heretofore (at least in terms of affordable, accessible equipment and technology).  We live in amazing times.  

This was shot on my dining room table.  Window light with many little home-made scrims and reflectors to shape and balance the light.  The little camera looks ridiculous clamped to my large tripod!   ;D

Rand
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:49:07 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2013, 04:58:01 pm »

So I assume that there is no way of automating the individual focus points in the stack with these cameras, right? Meaning you used live view and manually set focus for each of the shots? Was that a difficult process, and do you think it could be achieved in the field shooting landscapes?

I'm renting one of these devils for a few days next month. Too expensive for me to just take the plunge without knowing if it's something I could use for sellable work, in a practical sense.

Rand47

« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »

So I assume that there is no way of automating the individual focus points in the stack with these cameras, right? Meaning you used live view and manually set focus for each of the shots? Was that a difficult process, and do you think it could be achieved in the field shooting landscapes?

I'm renting one of these devils for a few days next month. Too expensive for me to just take the plunge without knowing if it's something I could use for sellable work, in a practical sense.

Yes, manually set.  At any given aperture and distance-to-subject, a little practice makes it fairly easy & repeatable.  Even easier for landscape distances and takes fewer frames at optimum aperture (for sharpness) for good front to back depth.  I use a Hoodman loupe sometimes when I need to see my points more precisely.  For this image, a couple of practice runs got me dialed in.  I hate fly-by-wire manual focus in general, but the the sound produced by the Sigma's focusing actually helps me be more precise - go figure!

I think you'll easily get the feel for it.  I'd reccomend testing at home for landscape distances at you preferred aperture.  Being able to check stack quality immediately will go a long way toward getting a routine that will be dependable in the field.  

Let me add that the Foveon sensor is very sensitive to under exposure. So when your rental arrives make your first tests be to dial in an appropriate ex-comp setting.  E.g. w/ my DP2 I start at +.7, and w/ the DP3 it is +.3.
Under exposure will produce an inordinate increase in shadow noise, and when severe, ugly and uncorrectable banding.  These cameras have stunning image quality, but within very limited parameters.  I truly love mine and would probably give up my other gear before I did the Merrills.  Addictive.

Rand
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:55:21 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Vladimirovich

« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2013, 12:53:06 am »

Let me add that the Foveon sensor is very sensitive to under exposure. So when your rental arrives make your first tests be to dial in an appropriate ex-comp setting.  E.g. w/ my DP2 I start at +.7, and w/ the DP3 it is +.3.
next public release of rawdigger (www.rawdigger.com) will support Merrill's raw files, so you can see raw histogramm for the current generations of Sigma cameras and see how your metering + exposure compensation corresponds w/ raw channels saturation.

derAngler

« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »

I am thinking about buying a DP3 for landscape photography, but I am a little bit concerned about the color accuracy produced by the Foveon sensor. I use a Pentax 645D, so I have high expectations in this regard. How do autumn colors look with this camera?

Jan

thefl

« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:57 pm »

I am thinking about buying a DP3 for landscape photography, but I am a little bit concerned about the color accuracy produced by the Foveon sensor.
Colors usually look very true to personal impression, unless one of the channels gets clipped. If that happens they're totally off. Unfortunately the red channel clips very fast with the Merrills. Subjects like red flowers need consideration in this regard, subjects like bright lights are virtually impossible not looking severely clipped without rendering the rest of the scene unusable due to extreme underexposure needed for the lights.

For mentioned reason I tend to avoid scenes with bright lights (red backlights of cars are horrible) and too many bright and saturated reddish hues in them.
For landscape photography, these problems are hardly ever relevant and the Merrills can show their full potential in terms of the nicest, crispest and least digital looking images I have ever seen from a digital sensor this side of high end medium format backs.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Up