Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 279573 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 04:39:02 pm »

Hello Malina:

I don't think I said, nor SIGMA, that this kind of camera can be a competitor to a FF camera. Anyway, in studio, it blow away any camera under 30 MP, your poor a850 die hard face to him, sorry (just because you a850 do not have any kind of LV). That said, anyone see midnight at his door. I only use tripod in the studio though. Lets post some photos now, and less technics :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:41:25 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »

Just read your review, Hulyss. Thank you for sharing it. DP3m is another marvellous compact camera delivering stunning IQ like its siblings. Unfortunately, its slow lens (f2.8 and smaller), poor high iso performance, lack of IS, so-so ergonomics (for me) all are begging for a mandatory tripod and external light (flash) use. Combined with slow write speeds, I hardly see it as a competitor to any FF camera with a prime 85mm. What am I missing in DP3M that could make me abandon Sony a850?

Buy one and you'll find out  ;D

Of course is is not able to duplicate all the options available with a DSLR with an fast prime, but within it's operating window, the DPxMs can be the most magical, spellbinding cameras.  I recently sold my Sony A900.  You will find yourself searching out subjects to do the camera justice.  I went so far as to go on a weeks photo trip with just the DP1 and 2Ms as primary cameras - no DSLR or medium format camera, just a Sony NEX-7 which I used for a couple of shots only out of hundreds taken.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »

Good report, Hulyss   :)  Another success for Sigma.  Given my last two D800E lenses were also made by Sigma (85 F1.4 and 35mm F1.4) they really seem to be on a roll.

Sorry for the OOT comment, but as much as I agree with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 being a worthy challenger, IMHO you are really missing something by not using the 85mm nikkors. Both the f1.4 (I own one) and f1.8 (a good friend is shooting with one on his 5DIII, he sees it as the best 85mm ever made by anyone) and out of this world good.

To keep this Sigma, I still love my DP2m, but I am not sure I'll fall for the 3... yet.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:14:58 pm by BernardLanguillier »

K.C.

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »

What am I missing in DP3M that could make me abandon Sony a850?

I don't think anyone is suggesting you abandon any camera for any of the DPMs.

I love my A850 with the Zeiss 24-70 and I have no intention of selling it. I have bought a DP2M and had a heck of a lot of fun shooting with it. I'll also buy the other DPMs.

They're all different creative tools.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 07:27:29 pm »

Sorry for the OOT comment, but as much as I agree with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 being a worthy challenger, IMHO you are really missing something by not using the 85mm nikkors. Both the f1.4 (I own one) and f1.8 (a good friend is shooting with one on his 5DIII, he sees it as the best 85mm ever made by anyone) and out of this world good.

To keep this Sigma, I still love my DP2m, but I am not sure I'll fall for the 3... yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hehe I already told him that on an another forum but he seems to be in love with SIGMA for real ;)

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 07:40:11 pm »

I traipsed around all yesterday afternoon with a good tripod and the DP3M, and didn't use the tripod once.  It was just too much fun to hold the DP3M to my eye.  With the Voitlander 75mm silver viewfinder, which looks nothing short of great on the camera, you can catch the green focus confirmation out of the corner of your eye.  I set focus at the center of the field of vision, and recompose if needed.  Worked great.  --Barbara

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »

I traipsed around all yesterday afternoon with a good tripod and the DP3M, and didn't use the tripod once.  It was just too much fun to hold the DP3M to my eye.  With the Voitlander 75mm silver viewfinder, which looks nothing short of great on the camera, you can catch the green focus confirmation out of the corner of your eye.  I set focus at the center of the field of vision, and recompose if needed.  Worked great.  --Barbara

Can't wait to see your work Barbara. I will certainly purchase the view finder too.

Some B&W :

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »

Barbara, I have the Sigma viewfinder on my DP2 and it makes it so much easier to use the camera well. Would like to get the 75 mm Voitlander. The thing I like about the merrill is its so small and I'm afraid I might be put off my the size of the Voitlander. Any chance you could post a pic of the DP3 with the viewfinder?........Max

The Ute

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2013, 09:24:49 pm »

That pretty much sums up how I feel.

That the cameras can produce almost magical images when used within their window, and I find myself seeking subjects worthy of their ability.

I too was a Sony shooter (A850). I'm selling it. I prefer to use the DP2/1 combo.

Feel like I'm carrying around a secret weapon.

;)

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2013, 12:24:38 am »

When the sony rx100 came out I bought it right away and within three days I had my Canons and all my expensive lenses for sale. For me the new,larger sensor mirrorless camera and newly developed lens worked better then my DSLR. That of course led to my discovery of the Merrills. Fun trip

I lived in Port Townsand for years Barbara. back in the 80's.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2013, 03:41:24 am »

For maxgruzen, and anyone else interested:  I  haven't figured out how to upload photos (of course, I haven't taken the time to try, so perhaps soon), but I measured the Voitlander 75mm viewfinder.  It sits exactly 27/32nds of an inch above the top level of the hotshoe, and is exactly that same amount wide.  It is round, with a very attractive styling, posh looking, kind of Art Deco.  And, befitting its lovely appearance, it actually comes in a little cobalt blue velveteen drawstring bag like a piece of jewelry.  It fits very snugly into the hotshoe, more so than the black Voitlander I got for the DP2M (which wasn't an exact match focal length-wise, but close enough).  I wear about a size 7 ring, and that is the size and appearance of the viewfinder, just this small ring sitting atop the camera. --Barbara

Greg D

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2013, 07:53:01 am »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand why Sigma wouldn't make a version of this camera with interchangeable lens capability.  Does everyone who's interested in one either a) shoot at only one FL or b) not mind buying multiple cameras?

The Ute

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:04 am »

Who knows what Sigma has in the works ?

I own 2. The DP2/1. And yes I do not mind carrying both around. They compliment each other and they weight a feather compared w. FF DLSR and lenses.

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2013, 08:49:48 am »

Can someone post a picture or details of that cable release being mentioned in the article? Hulyss?
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:49 am »

Can someone post a picture or details of that cable release being mentioned in the article? Hulyss?

Do you mean the cable release for my flashs ?

Here it is :

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:22:33 am by Hulyss »

nandadevieast

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2013, 11:45:46 am »

Thanks Quentin. Yes the 35 and the 85 are marvellous but I would like to know when they will release the new 85 "Art" and how it will perform :)

Exactly what i wanted to say :) I am not buying Nikon 1.8G. Waiting for Sigma 85 Art.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2013, 01:53:13 pm »

Starting to get more comfortable with this little camera. I damn like it !

Norm Nicholson

• Photography By Norm Nicholson
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »

Marvelous, Hulyss.

Norm Nicholson

RobertJ

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »

Hulyss, I have a few questions:
Which hot shoe adapter are you using to connect the PC sync cord from your studio flash units to the DPM cameras?

I'd like to use the DP2M and DP3M as studio cameras on a tripod with my monolights.  I don't want to use wireless MicroSync transmitter/receiver because I'll be limited to 1/125th shutter speed (I think).  I want to use the PC sync cord so I can use the faster shutter speeds on the leaf shutter.

I think this would work, but who knows: http://www.paulcbuff.com/hsa.php

Are you using the camera in Manual mode when you shoot with the studio lights?  I read in the instruction manual that it has a "Flash" mode.  Do you have to use "Flash" mode when shooting with studio lights with the cord connected (I think flash mode is only for on-camera flash)?

I don't have my Sigma cameras yet... thinking about it, and I might sell all my Canon gear.  I want to go Nikon/Sigma in the future anyway.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice someone already asked about the hot shoe adapter, but I'd like to know which one that is?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »

Marvelous, Hulyss.

Norm Nicholson

Thank you Norm.

Hulyss, I have a few questions:
Which hot shoe adapter are you using to connect the PC sync cord from your studio flash units to the DPM cameras?

I'd like to use the DP2M and DP3M as studio cameras on a tripod with my monolights.  I don't want to use wireless MicroSync transmitter/receiver because I'll be limited to 1/125th shutter speed (I think).  I want to use the PC sync cord so I can use the faster shutter speeds on the leaf shutter.

I think this would work, but who knows: http://www.paulcbuff.com/hsa.php

Are you using the camera in Manual mode when you shoot with the studio lights?  I read in the instruction manual that it has a "Flash" mode.  Do you have to use "Flash" mode when shooting with studio lights with the cord connected (I think flash mode is only for on-camera flash)?

I don't have my Sigma cameras yet... thinking about it, and I might sell all my Canon gear.  I want to go Nikon/Sigma in the future anyway.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice someone already asked about the hot shoe adapter, but I'd like to know which one that is?

Hello T-1000,

Yes your hot shoe will work. I personally use this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109453-REG/Kaiser_201300_Hot_Shoe_to_PC.html and it work like a charm. Yes I use manual mode, from 1sec to 1/2000 sec at every aperture between f2.8 and f11. With this material you do not have to tweak anything inside the menus. It work like "plug and play".

Hope this help :)

;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23   Go Up