Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 279523 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »

At home  :) Will try it out tomorrow if weather is ok. First impression : files do not have the same behaviour as the DP2m files, as I suspected. Better colour quality / accuracy. It's like going from SD14 to SD15... a step forward, a big one.

The lens hood will be available around the 15th of march.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:50:03 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »

Some photos to wait till weather turn !

Colors are fabulously right out of the box, especially skin tones. Give me some days to test the the thing.

Jim Funston

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »

Hulyss, this difference in the way the files are do you think it is possible that a Sigma firmware update could make the 2 and 1 act as the new 3 does or do you think it is due to different hardware inside of the camera?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 02:52:14 am »

Hulyss, this difference in the way the files are do you think it is possible that a Sigma firmware update could make the 2 and 1 act as the new 3 does or do you think it is due to different hardware inside of the camera?

Hello Jim,

I hope, for the DP1m and DP2m and SD1m users that is firmware adjustment, and not hardware tweak. To know that we just need to wait the new batch of firmwares, I also suspect that the lens have something to do in that story.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 06:44:46 am »

Little update after the new DP1m and DP2m firmware. It seems that the colors are the same on the DP1/2 even after the update. Of course we need more feedback. For now here is what B&W RAW mode can bring out of the DP3 merrill (and the others obviously): The high ISO possibilitys :)

ISO 800

ISO 1600

ISO 2000

There is also absolutely NO BANDING on the photos I did since Monday, even at High ISO.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:33:32 am by Hulyss »

Aguirre

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:23 am »

Hulyss, thanks for the info. I can't view the shots from your last post for some reason; no problem with other posts.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 08:34:07 am »

Hulyss, thanks for the info. I can't view the shots from your last post for some reason; no problem with other posts.

I hope I resolved the problem now :)

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:48 am »

Hulyss, Thanks for the updates. I was impressed by the skin tones in the example you posted, since I have had such poor luck with them with my DP2. I look forward to seeing more portrait examples as I would probably purchase the DP3 if it works well for portraits......Max

Aguirre

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »

Gracias! I love the grain that these cameras produce.

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:32 am »

Some fresh news :
Second, and do not ask me how I know that, it seems there will a cash back outside Japan borders after all . It is just a bit long to set all the system, at least in Europe, and I speak for France. More news between the 1st and 3rd of March.

hi hulyss, do you have any more news on this since I am just about to order a dp1m and dp3m ?
I have been a long time sigma user starting with a sd9 when it first came out - still an awesome camera (most pictures on this page and here and here are from the sd9 or dp1s)

thanks and regards
stefan

stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 04:40:47 am »

hi hulyss, do you have any more news on this since I am just about to order a dp1m and dp3m ?
I have been a long time sigma user starting with a sd9 when it first came out - still an awesome camera (most pictures on this page and here and here are from the sd9 or dp1s)

thanks and regards
stefan

Hello Stphan,

Yes, maybe tonight we will have some more news and then more photos will be available. In the weekend, we will be able to discuss more about it :) (And I really like your work !!)

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 04:57:21 am »

Yes, maybe tonight we will have some more news and then more photos will be available. In the weekend, we will be able to discuss more about it :) (And I really like your work !!)

hulyss, thanks for the info so far! I just looked at your website(s) - great portraits! did you use sigmas for those?
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 05:17:37 am »

hulyss, thanks for the info so far! I just looked at your website(s) - great portraits! did you use sigmas for those?

Thank you for the kind words :) I do have many different brand of camera so no, all is not made with SIGMA gear.
To be more precise :

In portraits, Jade is done with SD15 + the new 180f2.8 OS HSM, K+L is done with DP2s.

In Visuals, Rage is done with DP2s, Winter is coming is done with SD15 + 50mm f1.4 HSM, Andormeda is done with SD15 + kit lens.

In Artist, all is done with the DP2s.

Hope it light the things up :)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 07:39:45 am »

Hate to say it, but I have joined the "dark side" with Nikon D800E and various lenses (several Sigma), mainly for reasons of versatiity.  This means a delay in acquiring a DP3M but I'm about to go on a week lomg trip to Moscow and the only cameras I will have with me with the the DP1M and DP2M.  Loving the look from the DP3M. Hulyss.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 09:18:31 am »

:D why hating to say this ??  :) I do shoot mostly with Nikon D700 and D800 and you are absolutely right about the versatility and flexibility, miles ahead than SIGMA cameras. I have a weak work with the DP3 and soon we will have more news.

I'm sure you will like it.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

Here is my initial report on the DP3m (thank you Michael) and all your questions are very welcome (and pardon my French). Of course I will publish a lot of photos out of it but for now I have LOAD of work to do (done with it but clients first ^^).

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp3_review.shtml

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:26 pm »

Good report, Hulyss   :)  Another success for Sigma.  Given my last two D800E lenses were also made by Sigma (85 F1.4 and 35mm F1.4) they really seem to be on a roll.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »

Thanks Quentin. Yes the 35 and the 85 are marvellous but I would like to know when they will release the new 85 "Art" and how it will perform :)

MarkL

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2013, 03:02:15 pm »

I'd love this camera as a low presence location camera for fashion work, so many places in London are private property and it is sometimes difficult to find good places to shoot without problems - a D800 and 70-200 is just asking for problems. I'm just not sure I can keep the camera steady enough without an EVF especially when higher ISOs are not so great.

Malina DZ

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

Just read your review, Hulyss. Thank you for sharing it. DP3m is another marvellous compact camera delivering stunning IQ like its siblings. Unfortunately, its slow lens (f2.8 and smaller), poor high iso performance, lack of IS, so-so ergonomics (for me) all are begging for a mandatory tripod and external light (flash) use. Combined with slow write speeds, I hardly see it as a competitor to any FF camera with a prime 85mm. What am I missing in DP3M that could make me abandon Sony a850?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up