Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF8400 Printer Dimension  (Read 3363 times)

Mary K

Canon IPF8400 Printer Dimension
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:54:48 pm »

I am thinking of purchasing the Canon IPF8400 printer, but am not sure if I can fit the printer through my office door.  The door is 29" wide, and I know that the printer is too deep to fit.  However, I am wondering if I can put the printer through the opening if it is tipped so that the back of the printer is pointing toward the floor, and the front toward the ceiling.  I would appreciate it if someone that has access to this printer could provide the measurement from the bottom to top of the printer when it is off the printer stand.

Thanks,
Mary
Mary Konchar

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Canon IPF8400 Printer Dimension
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »

I am not at the office, so I can't give you that info right now. But our door is 31" wide and the printer entered just as you described (with four strong men holding it). I believe it would go through a 29" gap, but I will measure and post it on monday.

Mary K

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:45:50 am »

Thanks, Geraldo!
Mary Konchar

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:30:22 am »

Local store had to go through a false wall with their 8400.  For some reason their Epson didn't as they took it out for repair, but they couldn't get the Canon 8400 loaner in.  Some doors and angles get into the mix and I found I cannot get one in my place (Built 1982 with narrow doors, compared to wider handicap accessible ones which are newer construction.).

Good luck.

SG

howardm

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:10:26 am »

my understanding from previous readings is that once the unit is filled w/ ink, you REALLY do not want to go through the drain/tip procedure to remove it from the premises.  Just something to consider.

Mary K

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:13:49 am »

Yes, that is a concern if I ever have to move it out.  I could put it in another room in the house that has a large slider access, but I don't really want to move my office there.

Mary
Mary Konchar

howardm

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:19:59 am »

why would you have to move your office there?  get a set of powerline ethernet adaptors and attach the printer to one of them and the office 'network' to the other and voila! instant connectivity.  Just a thought.

Mary K

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:29:21 am »

I guess I'm a little paranoid about printing to a large format printer that isn't in the same room with me  :o
Mary Konchar

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »

We did this math too. If we ever need to move our printer from the current office to another room on the same floor it would be less expensive to remove the door and the doorframe, move the printer rolling on it's stand and put the door back. To remove it from the building, on the other hand, there is no option for us other than a complete drain of the ink$ as the printer will have to enter an elevator standing on its side. We have no plans of moving in the next couple of years, otherwise I would have postponed the acquisition of the printer or accelerated the moving.

smjphoto

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 01:45:20 am »

I have  an 8300. I don't think there are any changes in the outer dimensions for the 8400 vs the 8300 but I don't have the 8400.  It will just fit through a 29" opening in its normal orientation if you don't have any turns near by. You might have to raise the paper loading door. It is 24" tall without the stand, so if it has no ink it will go through almost any door by rolling it as you suggest . It is long, so it can pose a height problem if you stand it on end ( 74.5" long without any packing)  and plan on using a dolly ( most residential doors are 80" tall).

When I was deciding where to originally place it, I considered bringing it through a double hung first story window. That turns out to be a lot easier than trying to get through several doorways and turns.

I do have mine in a separate room from the computer. The printer is in a room that is larger and allows more flexibility in handling the rolls of paper and the prints when they come out. I don't find the separate room is much of a problem and use it as an excuse to get me out of my office chair and to stretch my legs. I don't print large volumes. I have it set to wait for me before it makes the final cut, so the prints don't end up in a pile.

Hope this helps a little,
Stuart
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:26:37 pm by smjphoto »

Mary K

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 04:56:30 pm »

Thanks for the additional info ... looks like I'll be able to get it into the existing office, but help me if I ever have to move it out!  I will have to stand it on end to get through the door, as there is no room to make a turn and put it straight through.  The dolly is a good idea.

Mary

Mary Konchar

smjphoto

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 05:24:12 pm »

I don't think using a dolly with it on end is a trivial task. I would be afraid to put that much weight on the end as its mostly plastic panels. The only real obvious safe support points are where the stand attaches on the bottom. They are formed to receive the stand, but also are perfectly sized for a 2x4 to pass along the short dimension. If I had to put it on end, I would probably build a 2x4 frame to fit in these support "sockets" and extend it to support the unit.
Regardless, moving it vertically will be a challenge. I wonder if anyone who has successfully done this might chime in.

Best of luck!
Stuart

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:28 pm »

Mary,

Sorry it took me so long to post, but Stuart was right. The height of the printer without the stand is a hair under 24" on the tallest part.
A few years ago Neile posted this http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49569.0 and I used that as reference to what is possible when moving printers like this. Obviously it is much ea$ier with a brand new printer as we donĀ“t have to drain all the inks to tilt it.

Best regards.

Mary K

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:09:08 pm »

Thanks so much for the measurement ... I expect delivery on Wednesday.

Mary
Mary Konchar

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:12:19 pm »

Thanks so much for the measurement ... I expect delivery on Wednesday.

Mary
How did this work out for you Mary? I am contemplating the exact same thing or settling for the 6400.
Dave

Mary K

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »

Dave, everything worked out great.  I hired a mover to bring the printer unit in and set it on the stand, and the two young men they sent had no trouble at all getting the top unit into the office.  They placed a furniture moving pad on the floor in the office doorway, then tipped the IPF8400 up on it's end on top of the pad.  One guy pulled the printer through the doorway via pulling on the pad, then they tipped it down and placed it on the printer stand that I had previously  assembled.  The unit had to be tipped up on end because there was not space at the end of the hallway for them to make the turn to put it in the office.  The IPF6400 should be no problem if the doorway is wide enough and you have good help.

Mary 
Mary Konchar

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:20 am »

So, do you think an 8400 would fit relatively "flat" through a 29" door? Also, I am talking to LexJet and Shades of Paper for a deal; any comments?
Thanks for your help with this

Mary K

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 04:20:34 pm »

David, I measured my IPF8400, and the printer looks to be just over 27 inches wide at the widest point when sitting on the stand, so it should fit through a 29 inch opening easily.  The stand is wider when assembled, so you would have to bring the printer in separately.  I purchased mine from Shades of Paper, and everything went nicely.

Mary
Mary Konchar

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 04:27:58 pm »

Mary, you are fantastic! Thanks and that makes my day!
One ipf8400 coming up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up