Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dropped A Zeiss ZE Lens  (Read 2863 times)

billy

Dropped A Zeiss ZE Lens
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »

I dropped a Zeiss ZE lens and the barrel got distorted so that the manual focus ring is now difficult to focus with, its sticky. I was thinking of spraying some graphite ( used for lubricating a sticky keyhole on a lock ) onto the lens barrel exterior and then move the focus ring to work the graphite into the area. What do you guys think? Bad idea? Will it ruin the lens internals?

Rob C

Re: Dropped A Zeiss ZE Lens
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »

Get it to a professional lens hospital at once!

Rob C

billy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

already sent it to zeiss, they couldnt fix. pictures look fine but want to smooth out the focusing.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:56 pm »

Been there, done that, ouch! I once had a 35mm f/2 Nikkor that was "modified" by a fire engine one night. I ended up making it a push-pull focus (with vice and hack saw) and used it for a couple of years before I could afford to get it replaced.

Can you put it in a vice and perhaps carefully crush the lens barrel bulging back just a little, especially if it isn't covered by insurance and Zeiss can't fix it?  But if it's just a paper weight or close to it, it may be worth considering. Of course, if you don't do it right, the lens may totally lock up and the elements may turn to sand...You are on your own if that's the case!

What about taking it to an independent repair person to perhaps "unbend" it?

I'd be reluctant of using any lube since you can't control where it may migrate within the lens.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

billy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »

Been there, done that, ouch! I once had a 35mm f/2 Nikkor that was "modified" by a fire engine one night. I ended up making it a push-pull focus (with vice and hack saw) and used it for a couple of years before I could afford to get it replaced.

Can you put it in a vice and perhaps carefully crush the lens barrel bulging back just a little, especially if it isn't covered by insurance and Zeiss can't fix it?  But if it's just a paper weight or close to it, it may be worth considering. Of course, if you don't do it right, the lens may totally lock up and the elements may turn to sand...You are on your own if that's the case!

What about taking it to an independent repair person to perhaps "unbend" it?

I'd be reluctant of using any lube since you can't control where it may migrate within the lens.

the damage is so small I cannot see where or how to "unbend it". I still use the lens, it works fine, just trying to make it work a bit better. I have no interest in sending it in to another repair shop. your concern about the lube mirrors mine, just thought I would double check here in this forum.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:00:41 pm »

This thread is making me uncomfortable.  The words Zeiss, vise, hacksaw, and hammer all in one thread is just WRONG!
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Glenn NK

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:57 am »

This thread is making me uncomfortable.  The words Zeiss, vise, hacksaw, and hammer all in one thread is just WRONG!

Another word bothers me:  GRAPHITE.

Although harmless in itself . . . let relate my experience:  I had a step down ring I used so as to utilize the 72mm filters on a 82mm front element lens.  Usually when I tried to remove the CPL, it wouldn't come off.

Being inventive, I thought I'd put a bit of graphite on the threads.

I was really careful to just get a little bit on only the threads.  Worked fine but the graphite somehow got onto the filter - took a while to get the CPL clean. >:(

If it gets onto the elements . . . . . dont' do it to the ZE.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:50 am »

What do you guys think? Bad idea? Will it ruin the lens internals?
Absolutely NOT, take it to a repair centre and claim on your insurance.

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:42:49 am »

I would worry about graphite migrating.  If Zeiss can't fix it, not sure what your local shop can do, but if its a question of deforming the lens barrel/focus ring that's definitely something that needs to be done with the lens disassembled.  You could try a tich of grease on a toothpick and see if it will migrate into the crack, but I don't think it likely.  One thing is that by working the focus back and forth you will wear the barrels where they bind some which will alleviate the problem a little (not sure how badly the action is binding now).  (I have been dealing with a similar issue with a Olympus 80mm f4 macro I dropped on a tile floor.)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:21 am »

the damage is so small I cannot see where or how to "unbend it". I still use the lens, it works fine, just trying to make it work a bit better. I have no interest in sending it in to another repair shop. your concern about the lube mirrors mine, just thought I would double check here in this forum.

If it "works fine", I cannot imagine trying anything that might permanently damage the lens beyond repair (which is how a significant number of amateur self-repairs end up).  Just leave it be!

SangRaal

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »

I wouldn't use graphite or DrySlide(graphite in a penetrating solvent that evaporates) unless you want black fingers every time you move touch the barrel. You might try one of the newer hi-tech greases mostly formulated for bicycle bearing and freehubs (especially finish line synthetic grease(superlight white lithium type) phil wood tenacious oil / shimano special grease all are none migrating and seal friendly and don't seam to atracts grit. Avoid hack saws vices etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up