Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Books at the local public library  (Read 32063 times)

Isaac

Why it Does Not Have to be in Focus
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:46 pm »

Why it Does Not Have to be in Focus : Modern Photography Explained -- …analyzes one hundred photographs by one hundred, mostly contemporary, artists. … artists are experimenting with photography in diverse ways other than through focus. This book considers a whole litany of what might be called "photographic errors." … reveals why a photograph need not be crisply rendered or "correctly" exposed, color-balanced, framed or even composed by the photographer in order to have artistic merit.

* artist questions… artist claims… can also become a cliché.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:49:41 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Isaac

Andy Goldsworthy : Ephemeral Works
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2016, 02:19:55 pm »

Andy Goldsworthy : Ephemeral Works: 2004-2014 -- Out of earth, rocks, leaves, ice, snow, rain, sunlight, and shadow he creates works that exist briefly before they are altered and erased by natural processes. They are documented in his photographs …

* Documented, yes mostly; but others only exist in those frozen photographic moments.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:49:26 pm by Isaac »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: photography book acquisitions
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:28 pm »

Just received a copy of the Complete Portrait Manual which has one of my photos in it. :)
-MattB

Isaac

Digital Nature Photography
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2016, 04:45:17 pm »

Digital Nature Photography : The Art and the Science -- The emphasis is on producing quality images and doing it easily. I know many photographers would be happy if I told them handheld shooting is fine, you don't need a flash, and use f/22 all of the time for maximum depth of field, but I won't. All of these widely accepted ideas are nonsense almost all of the time, and the quality of your images will suffer significantly if you believe them. I must assume and hope you want quality images, are not willing to cut quality corners, and are willing to adopt the superb shooting habits we will suggest and explain.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:40:24 pm by Isaac »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: New Books at the local public library
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2016, 06:10:01 am »

My copy of "Through another Lens", Charis Wilson's account of her years with Edward Weston, finally made it to my coffee table after an extended cruise with the USPS and/or La Poste.

Haven't read much yet except for the little tidbit about the photo of her on a hike, head wrapped in towels against the mosquitoes. She insists that the look described by the great majority of critics as "sensual" was actually pure exhaustion  ;D

Riverman

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2016, 08:58:04 am »

Isaac,
My mother just moved to Mountain View to be closer to my brother.  I'm looking forward to suggesting that we go to the library!  I enjoyed reading The f64 Group

Isaac

LINK+
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2016, 12:30:01 pm »

If your local library is a  LINK+ Member they will bring you books from any of the other member libraries.

Isaac

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:50 pm »

Photography Careers : Finding Your True Path.

Broadly interesting because the interviews/conversations build into a snapshot of what it can be like to work-in todays photography industry --

Dianne Cook and Len Jenshel (Landscape photographers),   Kristan Wilson (Fashion photographer),   Bryan Denton (Photojournalist),   Paul Warchol (Architectural photographer),   Corbin Gurkin (Wedding photographer),   Rachel Morrison (Cinematographer),   Larry Zink (VP Photo studio and pre-press, Macy's Photo Studio),   Hank Willis Thomas (Gallery artist),   Brian Paul Clamp (Clampart gallery),   Chris Mahoney (Senior VP, Sotherby's New York),   Jennifer Miller (Photography Director, Conde Nast Traveler),   Yolanda Cuomo (Graphic designer),   James Antonelli (Digital imaging services supervisor, Sandbox Studio NYC),   Emily Hoskin (Alamy, Stock Photography Agency UK),   Jacqueline Bovaird (Senior agent, Levine/Leavitt)…

Isaac

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:52 pm »

Who Shot Sports : A Photographic History, 1843 to the Present -- "Who Shot Sports places sports photographers front and center and puts them in historical context. The photographs are chosen on pictorial merit, not sports history, and the text addresses cultural, historical, and aesthetic concerns."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up