Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 stops printing 3/4 of the way into a 17x22 inch print  (Read 3713 times)

One Frame at a Time

3880 stops printing 3/4 of the way into a 17x22 inch print
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

My new 3880 has been a joy till last week.  On two different occasions it quit in the middle of a large print.  I am running win 64 via USB.  I was at the computer this time and it sounded like the system was getting some kind of connection error.  It made the ding (connect - disconnect sound) three or four times all on its own.  Nothing was moved during the print job.  I was in LR 4 editing another image when it quit.  Do I need to stop all work during a print job? 

I noticed some spool settings that I have left at the factory default.  Is there something I should change there so the job spools completely (if that is even possible) to the printer before it starts to print??
Would welcome any ideas!!

Thanks,

Paul

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: 3880 stops printing 3/4 of the way into a 17x22 inch print
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:38:26 pm »

This reminds me of the thread I posted a while ago, asking if anyone else's professional printers act like a moron occasionally.  I've had mine feed an entire 40' roll of canvas through while I wasn't near it.  Luckily, the canvas rolled itself up, so it wasn't ruined.  I've had mine autocut right through a print that it's just done.  (???)  I'd beat mine occasionally, but Epson support swears this won't get the printer back in line...

Anyways, not sure this is your issue, but I had a similar issue with my Epson 9900.  Using the Epson driver, if the hard drive Windows is spooling on completely fills up, my system doesn't kick an error -- but prints up until where it's spooled.  I only find out when I see an unfinished print.

I'm more familiar with Photoshop.  It can grab a bunch of hard drive space for its scratch files, so I make sure there's always plenty of space available on my main drive.  Not sure if LR does as much of this.  You shouldn't (in my opinion) have to stop all work.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:52:11 am »

I have the same printer and computer system and have never had this error.  Once the image is sent on from LR it is the Epson driver that takes over so you really shouldn't have to quit LR.  It might be a memory problem if you have other applications open or as was noted a hard drive problem but even then things usually pause until drive space is freed (eg, when you are doing a virus scan or HD back up things can run slowly on applications until those events are completed since they involve HD activities).  Sorry I can't be of more help.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

Thanks for the feed back everyone.  I dont know if I have this resolved but I reconfigured the routing of my USB cables and hubs.  I had a 10 foot cable going to the 3880 which is the max that Epson recommends.  I added another powered Hub and have it connected directly to my i7 laptop with a 6 foot cable.  That let me reduce the 3880's cable to a 6 footer.    I used to have it run via an unpowered hub - plugged into a 4 port powered hub.  Hopefully this is the issue.  Thanks again!

Paul

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:49 am »

I use a 16' cable for my 3800 - no issues. A USB extension once gave me a problem on a device that needed power from the USB. A tech told me that hub extensions 'dilute' the power and even with only one of four slots in use, I still was not able to run a USB microphone mixer that needed a power source from the USB. Also, front USB ports on a desktop are often routed from a single rear USB. I've seen problems with front USB ports on Roland printers - problems that went away when a rear USB was used.
Randy Carone

IWC Doppel

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:22:30 am »

I have the same issue on my 3880, the advice I was given was to reinstall the printer driver, I will try this but have not done so yet. One thing that has improved this issue is to open the print settings and save again before printing. It has only happened to me when i have not done this. As I am not printing volume I have sort of lived with this technique.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:41:55 am »

Would suggest you call Epson support. I've found them to be very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up