Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inverpolly  (Read 1771 times)

SAMurray

Inverpolly
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:05:19 am »

Went to Inverpolly this saturday, 3AM start to drive 175 miles to get there.
Worth it with scenery like this.

Taken just before sunrise.

Inverpolly by ScottAMurray, on Flickr

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Inverpolly
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:35 am »

Stac Pollaidh is a wonderful little mountain, set in the most glorious of locations - Assynt. 'Tis a lovely shot across Loch Lurgainn. Do you have one with the sun hitting the top? I'd imagine a wonderful series of shots as the light changes.

SAMurray

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:30 am »

Stac Pollaidh is a wonderful little mountain, set in the most glorious of locations - Assynt. 'Tis a lovely shot across Loch Lurgainn. Do you have one with the sun hitting the top? I'd imagine a wonderful series of shots as the light changes.

I have a closer shot of the light hitting the top of Stac Pollaidh, The stand out one of the day for me was when the sun was coming up it was shining through a heavy snow shower between Cul Beag and Sgorr Tuath, one of those times where you are in the right location at the right time. Will probably get that one posted up in the next few days.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »

It's a beautiful scene and like Bill I'd imagine it would look even better as the sun hit the top of the mountain. For me, however, this particular shot doesn't quite work because the tree branches on the middle right don't stand out sufficiently from the dark ground behind them.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:37:30 am »

because the tree branches on the middle right don't stand out sufficiently from the dark ground behind them.

Exactly! I'd like to the tree "detached" from the background (either by reframing or with a play of light).
Francois

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »

Agree with Jeremy & Francois...the location and scene are excellent the composition lets it down a little...there is little natural transition between the two main focal aspects the tree and the mountain, my eye is pulled hard left to tree then straight off into the beautiful mountain in the background.

Lovely scene but somehow fails to fully satisfy,for me at least due to the composition.

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

SAMurray

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:49:19 am »

Yeah the more I looked at it the more I started to feel the same, I'm heading back there on Saturday so I'll make another attempt
at a more cohesive composition.

Here is one I took 10 minutes or so later a little bit further down from that spot.

Inverpolly Morning by ScottAMurray, on Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up