Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street & Protest  (Read 2628 times)

stamper

Street & Protest
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:38:26 am »

Getting involved.

francois

Re: Street & Protest
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:44 am »

I like it, there's a lot of interesting things in this tight crop. The woman seems to have a smile on her face, undoubtedly for her young girl…

Bravo!
Francois

jeremypayne

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:02 am »

If ever there was an example of a sharp image of a fuzzy concept, this would be it!

I wonder what other local disputes this person feels the need to insert herself through street signs ... The notion that someone, presumably in the UK, feels the need to walk the streets with a sign proclaiming such things is very strange to me. But maybe she also protested the killings in Darfur ...

Hamas does, however, embed itself within the Gazan population and shoots from behind the skirts of women and small children.  Hamas is full of cowards and murderous villians who drag their fellow countrymen through the streets behind motorcycles on the suspicion of "collaboration" with the enemy.

(You didn't think you could post this without opening a can of worms, did you?)

stamper

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:16 am »

Unquote

You just did Jeremy. I see the image as a possible ambiguity?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:44:35 am »

I think that the trouble with war & other violent disputes is quite simple - people get killed, and sometimes, all too often, those people include young women & children. Maybe if we left dispute resolution to young women & children, the world would be a nicer place.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:50 am »

The shot itself looks ridiculously sharp (a compliment). Or is it oversharpened in post? What did you shoot it with?

P.S. You see, there is a kind of shooting I am happy to discuss ;)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

She's holding her daughter's hand with one of hers, and pushing the stroller with the other.  Doesn't seem to have the sign posts clenched in her teeth, so I'm assuming she's just passing them.  Captured at the right moment so to speak.

Bill, this is from John Denver's "Poems, Prayers and Promises" album (Songwriters: LASCELLES, KENDREW)

The Box

Once upon a time, in the land of hush-a-bye, around about the wondrous days of yore, they came across a kind of box, bound up with chains and locked with locks and labeled "Kindly do not touch it's war."

A decree was issued round about, and all with a flourish and a shout and a gaily-colored mascot tripping lightly on before. Don't fiddle with this deadly box, or break the chains, or pick the locks. And please don't ever play about with war.

Well, the children understood. Children happen to be good and they were just as good around the time of yore. They didn't try to pick the locks or break into that deadly box. They never tried to play about with war. Mommies didn't either, sisters, aunts, grannies neither. They were quiet, and sweet, and pretty in those wondrous days of yore. Well, very much the same as now, not the ones to blame somehow for opening up that deadly box of war.

But someone did. Someone battered in the lid and spilled the insides out across the floor. A sort of bouncy, bumpy ball made up of guns and flags and all the tears, and horror, and the death that comes with war. It bounced right out and went bashing all about, and bumping into everything in store. And what was sad and most unfair was that it didn't really seem to care much who it bumped, or why, or what, or for.

It bumped the children mainly. And I'll tell you this quite plainly, it bumps them every day and more, and more, and leaves them dead, and burned, and dying, thousands of them sick and crying. 'Cause when it bumps, it's really very sore.

There is a way to stop the ball. It isn't difficult at all. All it takes is wisdom, and I'm absolutely sure that we can get it back into the box, and bind the chains, and lock the locks. But no one seems to want to save the children anymore.

Well, that's the way it all appears, cause it's been bouncing round for years and years. In spite of all the wisdom wizzed since those wondrous days of yore. And the time they came across the box, bound up with chains and locked with locks, and labeled "Kindly do not touch, it's war."
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:01:58 am »

The shot itself looks ridiculously sharp (a compliment). Or is it oversharpened in post? What did you shoot it with?

P.S. You see, there is a kind of shooting I am happy to discuss ;)

Slobodan the image was shot at 200mm on a 80 - 200 mm lens at f/2.8. I used smart sharpen in PS in a bid to separate the figures from the background. Most women out and about with children don't want attention drawn to them but this woman didn't seem to mind. A dichotomy? She was on her way to a demonstration and I guess she didn't have a baby sitter or she wanted to use the children to emphasis her point? I have read a few posts recently about street and taking an image that leaves something untold. I thought that this exemplified this? Thanks to all except Jeremy who hijacked the thread to politicise it. :(

stamper

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:04:46 am »

If ever there was an example of a sharp image of a fuzzy concept, this would be it!

I wonder what other local disputes this person feels the need to insert herself through street signs ... The notion that someone, presumably in the UK, feels the need to walk the streets with a sign proclaiming such things is very strange to me. But maybe she also protested the killings in Darfur ...

Hamas does, however, embed itself within the Gazan population and shoots from behind the skirts of women and small children.  Hamas is full of cowards and murderous villians who drag their fellow countrymen through the streets behind motorcycles on the suspicion of "collaboration" with the enemy.

:( :o :-[

jeremypayne

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

She's holding her daughter's hand with one of hers, and pushing the stroller with the other.  Doesn't seem to have the sign posts clenched in her teeth, so I'm assuming she's just passing them.

Look again, Mike.  The signs are hers and are on the stoller.

jeremypayne

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 04:14:25 pm »

Thanks to all except Jeremy who hijacked the thread to politicise it. :(

Stamper, get real.

You post this image, this week and 'tis you who started that ball rolling.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:02:03 am »

Jeremy you would have probably lost the plot no matter when it was posted. Others have posted on the merits, or not, of the image. What I will do in future is when I am thinking of posting an image I will send it to you first and ask about the suitability of posting it and if the time scale is appropriate, and you approve, then I will do so.  ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:29 am »

I think that the trouble with war & other violent disputes is quite simple - people get killed, and sometimes, all too often, those people include young women & children. Maybe if we left dispute resolution to young women & children, the world would be a nicer place.

Bill, I have to conclude that you've never seen a pair of kids or a couple of women in a fight.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremypayne

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:54 am »

Jeremy you would have probably lost the plot no matter when it was posted. Others have posted on the merits, or not, of the image. What I will do in future is when I am thinking of posting an image I will send it to you first and ask about the suitability of posting it and if the time scale is appropriate, and you approve, then I will do so.  ;)

I never said you couldn't post it, nor did I say you needed anyone's permission to do so.

But just as you are free to post this, I am free to comment. 

If you want to pretend this image has no context and is simply a random snapshot you felt like sharing, feel free to continue to pretend as such.  I am under no such illusion.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 02:56:54 pm »

+1

Absolutely!

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up