Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else desensitized ?  (Read 25477 times)

hjulenissen

Re: Anyone else desensitized ?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 04:00:53 am »

Right on. We have been enslaved by Christianity for too long. It is time to create a society where the alien religions don't dictate to the masses. (I assume you don't live in the near East.)
Society (state and/or private) should help the masses to learn how to read and write, ensure their security, work for an economic climate where people can feed themselves but supply those in need with basic food and housing.

I don't think it is society (or my) right to tell them what religion they should subscribe to. I do feel that our rulers should refrain from using religious arguments in their appeals ("God told me to invade Iraq last night"), but I am not sure if or how such a thing should be implemented in law.

-h

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:16 am »

A possible problem with getting rid of religious influence is that doing so removes a huge chunck of native culture. Chip away at a nation's culture and you end up with anonymity. I don't feel that's a good thing. Frankly, I see little virtue in melting pots.

Insofar as Christianity goes, its Ten Golden Rules are pretty damned good, offend no-one and are very much biased towards an easy interrelationship of folks from different cultural heritages. They are primarily about respect for one another.

Rob C

hjulenissen

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 10:30:33 am »

A possible problem with getting rid of religious influence is that doing so removes a huge chunck of native culture. Chip away at a nation's culture and you end up with anonymity. I don't feel that's a good thing. Frankly, I see little virtue in melting pots.

Insofar as Christianity goes, its Ten Golden Rules are pretty damned good, offend no-one and are very much biased towards an easy interrelationship of folks from different cultural heritages. They are primarily about respect for one another.

Rob C
I am not saying that it is a bad thing to avoid killing thy neighbor. I am saying that avoiding doing it because God told you so, or because your priest told you that God told you so, or because the laws of the country says that God says so has some consequences that I am sceptical about.

Western thinking is heavily influenced by Christianity (and Christianity was heavily influenced by other religions and philosophers), but I prefer being able to discard parts of the religion at will.

-h
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up