Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exposure bracketing on Nikon D800E in live view?  (Read 1445 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Exposure bracketing on Nikon D800E in live view?
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:13 pm »

I've read through the manual several times, and I can't figure out how to do exposure bracketing for HDR in live view.

I want to focus and compose a scene in Live View, and then fire off 7 exposures (varying the shutter speed, aperture constant), each one a full stop apart.  I would like to set it up so that it goes 1 stop overexposed (for shadow detail) and five stops under-exposed (for highlight detail). 

One of the reasons I want to do it in live view is that I want to avoid shutter bounce.  The other reason is that I want to be sure everything is in focus.

Since I shoot a lot of high contrast scenes, this is an option I would like to easily access when I need it.

Thanks.

DaveJ

Re: Exposure bracketing on Nikon D800E in live view?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »

You set exposure bracketing using the BKT button, use the mode dial to select to either CL or CH, enter live view and hold the shutter button down (better to use a cable release) to fire off the selected number of shots. You can't shoot the kind of bracket you described, selecting a 7 shot bracket will give you 3 exposures above and 3 exposures below your middle exposure. This is why I generally don't use the camera bracketing configurations, I do my adjustments manually by rotating the rear command dial in M mode.
Dave Jolley

indusphoto

• 500px
Re: Exposure bracketing on Nikon D800E in live view?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »

You can't shoot the kind of bracket you described, selecting a 7 shot bracket will give you 3 exposures above and 3 exposures below your middle exposure.
Dave Jolley

You can set the exposure compensation and the exposure's taken will follow that. So a -2EV compensation means athat every exposure in the bracketing sequence will be -2Ev from its expected value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up