Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Sky Winter  (Read 1532 times)

PDobson

Big Sky Winter
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:37 am »

Last week, a few of us went to Sphinx Mountain near Ennis, Montana to get on some early-season waterfall ice. The weather was unsettled to say the least. Sunny and calm one moment, hurricane-force blizzard the next. My camera batteries kept dying, so I had to warm them in my pocket between shots.

The evening light on the valley below was spectacular. Warm sun contrasting with the near-arctic conditions we were experiencing on the summit plateau. It looked like a painting.

Phillip

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Big Sky Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »

Dramatic looking stuff. I can't wait 'til some decent snowfall on the hills.

leuallen

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:57:40 pm »

Really nice images.

I admire you guys fortitude and ability to brave the weather. If it gets below 40 degrees Fahrenheit I have to pack it in. My hands get so frozen, even with good gloves, that I am in terrible pain and it takes hours to recover. So just sunny pixs for me.

Larry

PDobson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:46:46 pm »

I honestly don't like being cold, either. My problem is that I absolutely love ice climbing and the amazing experiences that go along with it.

We call that horrible feeling you get when your hands thaw out the "screaming barfies". Not only is it painful, but the cold blood gets into your core and makes your nauseous. Not fun.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:57:06 am »

I get much below 60 and I think it is too cold for decent comfort...thin blood these days. I guess that's what happens when you live closer to the tropics than the arctic circle.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

stamper

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54:49 am »

Dramatic looking stuff. I can't wait 'til some decent snowfall on the hills.

I think at your age you would likely get lost? ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up