Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know  (Read 70519 times)

dlavay

Re: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:02 am »

My workflow for processing flexibility and maximum image quality on my IQ160 includes:
•   Profile camera using 24 patch ColorChecker Chart and Adobe DNG Profile Editor
•   Convert IIQ files to DNG using Adobe DNG converter rather than CO, including v7.0
•   Open in Camera Raw, apply profile and adjustments. Open in Photoshop or LR.
•   Cataloguing and housekeeping with PhotoMechanic
I believe that you will find the tools and output in CR far superior if you profile the camera or back. Without an adequate profile the output from PS will fall far behind CO. Of course, tethering is a completely different issue.
On a related note, the DNG Flat Field Plug-in for Lightroom 4.2 does a fantastic job for LCC including color correction and light fall off.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:58:12 am by dlavay »

alain

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:23 am »

Yes, improvement to rendering speed (lag of on screen adjustments) and output speed (RAW ---> TIFF/JPG) are strongly related to the processing speed of your GPU (graphics card).

However, it's important to have a graphics card which is fully supported. Here is a list of such cards.

Single best card on the Mac right now is the Nvidia Quadro K5000. The dev team tells me this card makes C1 absolutely fly. Probably over kill for most users but if you want the best - that's it.

The issue with Open CL and 10.8 should be resolved relatively soon via an update to Capture One. If you're on 10.8 now I don't see this as a reason to downgrade your OS, but if you're on 10.7 I'd stay there for the time being.
Doug

Any more info about which card will give better results?  I know that the current AMD 7000 and nvidea card have quite different compute capabilities.

I also see that 1GB is the minimum memory size, does it matter much?  The AMD 7850 for example is available in 1 and 2  GB sizes.

gazwas

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

Doug, I think quite fittingly you need to add a thirteenth thing to your list........ it crashes A LOT!!
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

mgrayson

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:31 pm »

How much is a lot? I did a clean install and it crashes about once a day. The betas crashed every few minutes.

--Matt

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

How much is a lot? I did a clean install and it crashes about once a day. The betas crashed every few minutes.

--Matt

ACR did not crash never ever... just a note.

gazwas

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

--Matt

Just playing around the first day it was all rosey but now having done a couple of days proper work with files shot with Canon 1DsIII and P65+ I'm getting very regular crashes. At one stage today I couldn't even start C1 or if it did start it wouldn't open the session it crashed on. Only creating a new session and copying the capture folder over from the corrupted session worked. I even had a window informing me I needed to verify my catalogue settings (??) or something because of a problem.

It even crashed sometimes when I'm just browsing images.  ???

This was a clean install and C1 V6 has been removed from the machine.

Its a wonderful bit of software but I'm sorry the beta tester just didn't push it hard enough and this sort of thing is a major PITA! I expected bugs with a 7.0 release but this is as bad as the disaster that was early Pro version 4. Hopefully a bug fix will be swift...... fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:31:55 pm by gazwas »
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 04:57:51 am »

Am I missing here something? Is there a way to trigger the camera (canon 5dmk3) while in live view? LV works on 10.8. with the workaround, but I cannot trigger the camera.

Are the low live view frame rates due to no open CL-Support?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2012, 09:12:56 am »

I would guess the bottleneck on live view frame rates is due to the USB connection.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:12 am »

I doubt it. In EOS capture it looks like a 24fps video feed.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

gebseng

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »

The new way of handling LCC files seems to support the "shoot LCC right before/after capture" method only.

I work with a catalog of LCC files I shot in the studio, a method that suits my workflow better (no problems with long exposures indoors, less color balance shorts after correction, faster,…).

Sure, for now I was able to import my old LCC presets from CO6 to CO7. But in the future, if I have to add new LCC presets to projects, I would have to add the actual files themselves to each new project, or am I missing out on something?

geb

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 03:39:13 pm »

ACR did not crash never ever... just a note.

Same here for 6.4.4. Never any crash. 7 hangs about once every 30 minutes and it´s slow also.
Further it is additionally slowing down the whole system because it leaks memory, after using it I need to restart my MBPro17.

Will wait for the 7.01 or whatever it takes to get this fixed. Until then - I´m happily using 6.4.4.

Regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2012, 04:19:06 pm »

The new way of handling LCC files seems to support the "shoot LCC right before/after capture" method only.

I work with a catalog of LCC files I shot in the studio, a method that suits my workflow better (no problems with long exposures indoors, less color balance shorts after correction, faster,…).

Sure, for now I was able to import my old LCC presets from CO6 to CO7. But in the future, if I have to add new LCC presets to projects, I would have to add the actual files themselves to each new project, or am I missing out on something?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/464787-post130.html

philipchan

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »

Hi All

I am a newly registered member here, although have been a "viewer" for sometime. Had the C1 Pro 7 for two weeks, and thought to share my finding-- another bug which had not been mentioned here:

C1 pro 7 Window 64 bit version doesn't support (yet) files from my leaf A10R II (or pre credo files)! I could import and view the files, but no other functions were activated. My Credo 80 files worked fine with it although quite slower than with the 6.4.4 version.

Local dealer informed that this is a confirmed bug by manyfacturer. Awaiting for a fix.

Philip

gotspeed

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »

While you wait for the fix,  try switching from DB mode, to Pro Trial. This unlocked the editing for me with older Leaf. Assuming you are running in DB mode.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 07:04:58 pm »

My license C17 crashes when connected to the D800.
First it take for ever to see the camera.
Then if I just take a capture without Live View it crashes after the take.
If I try to do Live View it freezes.
MY connection is USB 2.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

FredBGG

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 09:49:24 pm »

CPU usage is weird.

Working in a catalog with only one image in it only changed white balance
and CPUs go to close to 100%. Stay that way even minimizing Capture One.

Memory usage went upto 11 gig

Capture One freezed without making any other adjustments... just zooming the view in.

Such heavy CPU usage is going to be problematic for laptop users on location. 100% CPU usage won't last long on a Laptop.

Hear is what the CPU usage is like doing the same thing in ACR and photoshop:

Also D800 and D800e  skin tones look yellow and shows sharpening artifacts at default settings when viewed at 50% or 100%.

Tryout mode won't open Hasselblad  H4D 40 files for some reason.... any ideas??
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:06:24 pm by FredBGG »

Gulag

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2012, 10:25:25 pm »

If you lower image preview size considerably, the CPU utilization rate drops significantly as well. As to H4D files,  can't do anything with them in my demo versions of both 6 and 7.  I can't even import them to a catalog in 7. I asked here before what those differences are between the retail version and 60-day demo version. The answer that I received here is none.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:28:42 pm by mshi2008 »
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

chrismuc

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2012, 10:51:01 pm »

I have two issues about C1 V7 that I asked in PhaseOne C1 User forum but did not get an answer yet. Maybe you can help.

Open a Creo IIQ Raw file in C1 V7, convert and safe it as DNG. Open the DNG in PS ACR. Result: The green-magenta tint slider is completely off. Neutral position is at a value of about 140 instead of 0. That's weird. I assume that the IIQ - DNG conversion in C1 is not done correctly.

If you install C1, any device (like CF Card, iPhone aso.) connected by USB to the MacBook will start automatically C1. I did not find a way to switch off this annoying function. (Should be in preferences but isn't.)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:08 am »

Open a Creo IIQ Raw file in C1 V7, convert and safe it as DNG. Open the DNG in PS ACR. Result: The green-magenta tint slider is completely off. Neutral position is at a value of about 140 instead of 0. That's weird. I assume that the IIQ - DNG conversion in C1 is not done correctly.
IIQ-L files can be opened in ACR 7.2 (CS6) so no need for DNG conversion
If you install C1, any device (like CF Card, iPhone aso.) connected by USB to the MacBook will start automatically C1. I did not find a way to switch off this annoying function. (Should be in preferences but isn't.)
If you're on a Mac this can be changed in the Apple Image Capture preferences

The best way to get quick answers to this sort of questions is via a support case

Cheers yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

chrismuc

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2012, 02:31:08 am »

Thy Yaya, but ...

I use Mac OSX 10.6.8, Image Capture 6.0.1.: as far as I see there is no preferences menu where I could choose the opening program. And why C1 has this default? Why I can't choose this option in C1?

I use PS CS5 ACR 6.7: this version can't open Leaf IIQ files. But it opens PhaseOne IIQ files. Why do the IIQ files have to be different if they come from the same sensor?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up