Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the Move  (Read 1247 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
On the Move
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

james-greenland

• James Greenland Photography
Re: On the Move
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:28:53 pm »

To me, it's a bit too much work on the eyes: there is nothing the eyes a drawn to directly.

There was actually a photo of a similar composition in a canon slr camera catalogue I got last year. I've been trying to find the image online but I just can't find it anywhere but it was of a cross country jogger stepping on a fallen tree trunk as they ran over it. the f-stop was pretty low (around 2.8) and the shutter speed was ultra quick so as to get the leg movement looking super sharp. It had a really strong impact on me because it drew me in with such immediacy.

Anyways, it seems that you like the movement in the shot, but how about trying something a bit different with it? Maybe try shooting with a flash on a low power setting to get the close leg looking super sharp, but then extend the shutter speed as to get lots of movement in the background?

just an idea of course :)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

Hello Chris, the moving legs obsures just too much of the rest of the frame for me, I get the feeling that I would like to see more. My view though and probably wrong.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:25 pm »

It's an interesting attempt, but the problem is that there's nothing there. The picture needs to have a point, but it has no point. It needs to have a focus, but it has no focus.

But keep trying, Chris. Experimenting is how you come up with something new and good.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:23:08 pm »

I wonder if the 'point' is that there is no point?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »

I wonder if the 'point' is that there is no point?

You'd be pretty close. This shot was an experiment in working with motion. My point was that people were in a sort of constant, always moving forward even if there was no intent to their movement. This shot was part of the series I portrayed in my Self-Realization thread.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »

I usually like a sharp focus on the close stuff but the leg shot works well for me. Here is one of my favorite street shots with no sharp focus anywhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up