Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7/10/12  (Read 3310 times)

Riaan van Wyk

7/10/12
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »

Thoughts please?

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: 7/10/12
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »

The tree is very well framed and matted by the sea and sky.  I worry about the sun though; the sun's relationship to the tree doesn't seem as carefully chosen as every thing else in the picture does.  Maybe it is best that I not be too comfortable with the place a notoriously mobile object...      I just gave in to my impulse when I first saw the image - I put on my sunglasses.  Focusing was harder, but the composition got a lot better, so I recommend darkening the blues.      

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:07:33 am by Bruce Cox »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17:58 pm »

I set out to test my advice.  Darker blues made the shadows of the tree that stretch to the bottom of the image more emphatic and me happy with the sun.  I attach my noodling with the picture to show those shadows, though otherwise my version may be in left field.

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:06:03 pm by Bruce Cox »

IanBrowne

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:24 am »

Bruce has summed it up pretty for me, however I feel a slower shutter speed may have helped to flatten the sea area.

The sun: I generally have a dislike for the actual sun being in a photo, to me it's just a white blob

I also feel the timber is too busy although there is not a lot a photographer can do about that if they forget to pack a chain saw LOL

And I keep looking the ship/wharf/harbour area which I feel is a bit distracting.

Following on from Bruce's edit I have cloned a little cloud over the sky. I have tried the soften the sea with the LR adjustment brush by reducing clarity. Also added a little zap into the sky. All a bit rough BTW 
Note: Rework edits are usually done in a minute or so on a laptop in a room with variable lighting and will not be perfect and must be seen and read as a editing/photography guide only....All comments must be taken as just my personal thoughts and how I read the image. I was not there when the photo was taken and I can only guess the colours, conditions and the reason the photo was taken in the first place

bdosserman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:51:38 am »

For what it's worth, I really like the original image, and find the somewhat muted colors quite pleasant. I mostly don't mind the sun as it is. I do find the green object on the piece of timber distracting, though.

Brian

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

Thanks for looking folks, I apreciate it.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »

My first response on seeing the small version is that I love it!!!  When I enlarge it, I start to be less enamored.  The background (city or whatever) is distracting.  The details of the textures distract me.  I think this should be printed or displayed small.  That isn't intended to bash the image. Some photos are better small, and I think this is one of them.   
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:14:02 pm »

I also like Bruce's version a lot. For some reason, it focuses my attention better on the driftwood.

P.S.  Sorry about two postings. I try NOT to read other people's comments before I make mine. I don't want to be too influenced by other opinions until I have a chance to write my thoughts. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »

I agree with losing the wharf activities on both sides of the horizon line. When I first looked at this image, I thought it lacked a particular dynamicism. It wasn't dull, nor overly flat, just sort of hmmmmmmm.

I've waited through a number of edits, none of which I thought did the image the justice it deserved (and of course, the original vision of the maker may be what he still likes best).

While everyone seemed to be headed more toward a subdued tonal range, I kept seeing bright and sharp.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up