Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO export to LR 4  (Read 4895 times)

allegretto

DxO export to LR 4
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:59 am »

which file type do most use (assuming you do it at all...)

DNG (a modified DNG I guess) or TIFF

thanks as always

deejjjaaaa

Re: DxO export to LR 4
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »

which file type do most use (assuming you do it at all...)

DNG (a modified DNG I guess) or TIFF

thanks as always

linear DNG certainly - better WB-wise for example...

in Adobe's raw processing model linear DNG is exactly what ACR/LR are actually working with UI-wise when you open a native raw file directly... it will be internally converted to linear DNG form and that data is what your UI controls are operating with, that makes ACR/LR fast and allows (near) real time display of your changes, because there is no redemosaicking, etc for every change in your WB settings for example...

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:33:11 pm »

Is that correct?  LR/ACR apply a render curve via the profile used in the calibration panel.  Eric Chan has mentioned this in the past.  You've also got a gamma correction applied, right?  You're not actually working with a true linear image because of that.  You can get a linear render curve if you create a custom camera profile and choose Linear in the Curves tab of the DNG Profile Editor.  That backs out the Adobe render curve but doesn't back out the gamma correction. 

How are you getting linear DNG out of DxO?  Based on a discussion I had with a DxO tech support person the only way to get a true linear gamma image out of DxO is to process it as a linear RAW image under the File menu but that exports as a TIFF.  You can process DNG out of DxO but that's still a gamma-corrected image, as far as I know.  How is the DNG processed out of DxO different from a DNG processed on import into LR?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:01:19 pm »

Is that correct?  LR/ACR apply a render curve via the profile used in the calibration panel.  Eric Chan has mentioned this in the past.  You've also got a gamma correction applied, right?  You're not actually working with a true linear image because of that.  You can get a linear render curve if you create a custom camera profile and choose Linear in the Curves tab of the DNG Profile Editor.  That backs out the Adobe render curve but doesn't back out the gamma correction. 

when ACR/LR open a native raw file then first several internal steps are absolutely identical to DNG converter (or ACR/LR producing the same) producing a linear DNG file (ACR/LR and DNG converter must of the same release of course)... hence there is no difference for ACR/LR between working with a native raw file or linear DNG file (produced by Adobe tools)... that might not be applicable to linear DNG file from other tools because you do not know what they "bake" in...

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »

You can process DNG out of DxO but that's still a gamma-corrected image, as far as I know. 
I 'd assume you can select gamma = 1 in DxO's UI ?

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:02:49 pm »

when ACR/LR open a native raw file then first several internal steps are absolutely identical to DNG converter (or ACR/LR producing the same) producing a linear DNG file (ACR/LR and DNG converter must of the same release of course)... hence there is no difference for ACR/LR between working with a native raw file or linear DNG file (produced by Adobe tools)... that might not be applicable to linear DNG file from other tools because you do not know what they "bake" in...

OK, that's different from visually seeing a linear image (either in terms of gamma or render curve) on screen.  The software may convert the RAW file to a DNG, I don't know this is the first time I've ever heard that, but that's not the end of the process.  And yes, of course that DNG should replicate the linear representation from the camera.  But before you get to see the image on screen the image is gamma-corrected and the render curve from the default or chosen profile is applied.

I 'd assume you can select gamma = 1 in DxO's UI ?

That's what I thought as well.  That's what I asked the DxO tech and what I was told was the only way to get a true linear image out of DxO was to use the File>Export Image for ICC Profile>Export as Linear RAW.  Except it exports as a TIFF not a DNG (raw) file.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:41:38 pm »

The software may convert the RAW file to a DNG

in case of Adobe it is not "may" but it "is" - it is the core of Adobe's approach - to get rid of the raw data as soon/early as possible in the pipeline...

I don't know this is the first time I've ever heard that, but that's not the end of the process.

true - but it is the core of the process and it is so by their intended design... hence when you are living in Adobe's realm you are more (but not absolutely, code errors or changes in developers mind happen) safe w/ things like non native DNG and linear DNG

But before you get to see the image on screen the image is gamma-corrected and the render curve from the default or chosen profile is applied.

in Adobe's realm yes, that is unless you take some special measures to not do this which may involve using specially prepared profiles... outside of Adobe realm there enough tools that do not apply any such corrections unless you want to directly in UI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up