Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Gura Gear Camera Bags announced today - REVIEW  (Read 2963 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
New Gura Gear Camera Bags announced today - REVIEW
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:52:27 am »

Gura Gear announced their new range of Camera Bags today. I was fortunate to be able to extensivley test the range during my recent trip through Europe and Iceland and my review is now online at Canon Rumours and on my Blog. Hope you Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:37:27 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dreed

Re: New Gura Gear Camera Bags announced today - REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:56 am »

I'm still waiting for the hiker-friendly camera-based backpack where you take out the laptop and put in a similarly shaped water bag, so your camera-laptop backpack becomes a camera-camel backpack.

Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:04:51 am »

Yes, bare in mind the Gura Gear backpacks are not dedicated hiking packs. They are designed for travel and can be hiked with thanks to their harness system - but they are first and foremost travel bags. A dedicated hiking pack will be a better choice if you plan on extensive hiking.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:32:51 am »

Sounds good!

The Kiboko is one of the best pieces of photo gear I have ever bought!

NancyP

Re: F-Stop Satori as "hybrid" pack
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »

I just took delivery of the F-Stop Gear "Satori" 62L pack. It seems like a good compromise between a serious hiking pack and a camera daypack design. I have only hiked around the living room, and plan to walk a mile or two in the local park to see how it feels.

Pluses: Satori seems very well made, the beefy hip belt, beefy shoulder strap, shoulder and hip tensioning straps, compression straps, and internal liner with laptop or Camelbak/ Platypus/ other hydration bladder slot are all good, as are the interchangeable "internal camera units" of varying sizes. "Medium shallow" internal camera unit accommodates my consumer DSLR Canon 60D with L-bracket (body, lens not attached), Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon 15-85mm f/variable and its removable hood, Sigma 8-16mm f/variable, 1.4xTCII, Canon "A" tripod ring - a total of approximately 11 liters including ICU itself, leaving 51 L for camping gear, with the tripod/head mounted on the back or side outside the pack, and the "small stuff" (extra batteries, cards, microfiber cloth, puffer, plastic bag, nodal slide, etc) in the top small compartment. Large shallow ICU is 14 L, extra-large Pro ICU is 25 L.

My complaints: It is one-size-fits-all, and that all is a medium male torso, 18.5" torso length. I am a 17" to 17.5" torso length, ample-breasted, thin woman, and I had to tweak straps quite a bit. The sternum strap is 3" too low and not adjustable higher, it may need to be abandoned. It now feels pretty good, for the most part, but I may do some after-market adjustments: 1. either make a new sternum strap attached to the next higher portion of the shoulder pad strap, or cut the existing plastic attachments and re-install the original sternum strap higher up. 2. shoulder strap attachment to pack back/ frame is a little too high, I wonder if I can construct a pad for the shoulder pad to take up the space a bit without having to tug on the shoulder "lift" strap to its maximum.

If F/stop gear chose to have an option whereby the back panel opening was shortened two inches and the shoulder strap attachment points were adjustable, that would be very nice.

drpro

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:52:03 pm »

I notice no mention of a place to carry a laptop for either of the new bags.  The smaller 22L does have space.  Any thoughts?

Thanks
David

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:19:50 am »

Having done quite a bit of hiking I have always struggled to understand the idea that someone might want to go hiking accompanied by a laptop.
Roy

Josh-H

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:18:13 am »

Having done quite a bit of hiking I have always struggled to understand the idea that someone might want to go hiking accompanied by a laptop.
Roy

I agree. I use a Gura Gear Chobe for my Laptop, hard drives and misc. computer accessories when travelling.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

AdamW

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:20:55 am »

I'm still waiting for the hiker-friendly camera-based backpack where you take out the laptop and put in a similarly shaped water bag, so your camera-laptop backpack becomes a camera-camel backpack.

It's not a straight laptop replacement -- there's a side pocket for the bladder -- but the Lowepro Pro Trekker series has hydration as a feature and has a minimalist slot to secure a laptop sleeve as well. (I have never trecked with a laptop, but it is handy for flying with laptop and camera)

http://products.lowepro.com/product/pro-trekker-300-aw,2165,16.htm

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:44 am »

Roy

Agreed.  There are needs for a laptop while shooting.  But not on a trail. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up