Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film and it's inherent aesthetic  (Read 4056 times)

FredBGG

Film and it's inherent aesthetic
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:55 am »

I came across a very interesting set of photographs... mug shots.... but shot on larger format film... larger than 645.

While these are mugshots there is something quite magical about the look of these images.

http://everyday-i-show.livejournal.com/84449.html

amsp

Re: Film and it's inherent aesthetic
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:08:06 am »

patrickfransdesmet

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:19:15 am »

wow
I know , I Know

even after all those years
these immages are stunning
aesthetic, they have a look, a feel
Difficult to get this in digital (simply another medium)

After 30 years of photography
just for this reason
I never stopped using Film a single day
for Black and White that is
For everything color ...
I got rid of the dirty and expensive chemicals

But this
history?
I don' t think so

I still have (and love) my black & white darkroom

Petrus

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:37:20 am »

Those are digital images we are looking at.

The same could be easily done with digital camera and PS. It is the age and purpose of the images that makes them romantic. How about a old-mug-shot Instagram filter?

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:31:24 am »

It´s probalbly not digital vs. film (please not again) but simply the larger format they were taken with.

Cheers, Ulf

amsp

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:44 am »

I started shooting film again about 9 months ago and now I'd say I'm doing almost 50/50. Most of my commercial stuff is digital and much of my editorial stuff is film. I'm getting a look & feel from film that I just don't see in digital, neither is better than the other, just different. So I shoot both, it's as simple as that.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:24:55 pm »

Those are digital images we are looking at.

The same could be easily done with digital camera and PS. It is the age and purpose of the images that makes them romantic. How about a old-mug-shot Instagram filter?

Nope. They are a digital reproduction of film images.

There is a big difference between a digital capture and a film capture.

The biggest difference is that digital is essentially confined to small capture areas smaller the 60x45mm

With film you have capture areas that are much much larger and the very nature of the optics are so different.

I have found no lens that can be used on a digital camera that has the look of my Schneider 480mm used with 8x10 film.

This is why I shoot both film and digital. Both have their advantages.

Just because there are plug-ins called film look etc that does not mean that digital can be used to reproduce the results film
can produce. I'm not saying film is better from a technical stand point. Just saying that film has a certain quality... actually many different qualities thanks to the different stocks.

Even ADOX formulations from the 50s are still available.

Who knows maybe Panatomic-X may come back.

Another thing to keep in mind is that digital post opens up possibilities with film that were previously not possible.

While at times it is nice to just leave film the way it is there are other times when digital post can bring out things in a film capture that simply cannot be found in
digital.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:32:53 pm by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »

I've been shooting a lot of film and of course MF digital backs.   My take on this is that there are two factors at play that make the old film look successful.

1) Larger format
2) Low contrast lenses.  New lenses are great, but a lot of the older lenses have some magic in their imperfection.
Rolleiflex USA

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »

It´s probalbly not digital vs. film (please not again) but simply the larger format they were taken with.

Cheers, Ulf

I've been shooting a lot of film and of course MF digital backs.   My take on this is that there are two factors at play that make the old film look successful.

1) Larger format
2) Low contrast lenses.  New lenses are great, but a lot of the older lenses have some magic in their imperfection.

that's what I'm seeing ...

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »

1) Larger format

I would not say these images were shot with a low contrast lens.

The lighting is really quite soft yet the contrast is quite high.... and it's not from the film, because there are no blown out highlights

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

Fred don't forget these old prints had less range (not counting the tail on the S curve) and the photos were scanned maybe white and black points adjusted. Also contrast doesn't mean through every frequency range.  Some old lenses have great low frequency contrast but not high.  Same today - some lenses emphasize different frequency ranges or even by color.    I do recall reading about these Australian police photos when they made the rounds on the internet last year that their 'studio' had a huge white wall and a skylight or something that allowed for really diffuse soft lighting.  I think I have the whole collection on my hard drive somewhere.   

Rolleiflex USA

amsp

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:11:21 am »

I would not say these images were shot with a low contrast lens.

The lighting is really quite soft yet the contrast is quite high.... and it's not from the film, because there are no blown out highlights

There's no film, these are wet plate collodion on glass.

ced

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:12 am »

As stated they were glass plates and probably look better because of the way they were digitally enhanced...
Amazing what digital can bring alive from that medium with it's limitations of mediocre optics poor lighting and development, after all they were just mugshots (good though they were).

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

Well, film or digital manipulation of film, you only need to look at some 16"x20" black/white prints from the 60s, shot on 4"x5" and printed on real, SWG b/w single-grade paper, not the plasticised quick-wash, multi-everything rubbish that replaced it, to see very clearly that film was special, in the sense of unbeatable by later techniques...

We've gained convenience and lost other qualities. We can now make computered prints more crisp, exercise greater minute control over how they might look, but overall, it isn't, to me at least, as rewarding a final product. But then, unless you were there at the time, you neither know nor have reason to care; it wasn't your baby went down the tubes with the bathwater.

I'm convinced that my view is sound because of one, simple proof: I sometimes reopen an old paper box that contains seldom seen bits and pieces from my past days; the shock of what I see is sobering. I think my A3+ things on Hahne papers are great, safely stored within their archival print sleeves, and then I pick up one of those 8"x10" prints from my F3 and I despair, even though I know that those prints are on plastic papers that I despised but had to use due to water shortages here. They just have a feel that digital doesn't. Yes, I can be, and usually am accused of being out of touch with this world, but that doesn't, yet, make me deny the reality I can still see.

Rob C

Cineski

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 11:11:03 am »

With today's hybrid method of shooting film, running modern color stocks through old or new cameras comes up with astonishing results. 

FredBGG

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:13 am »

With today's hybrid method of shooting film, running modern color stocks through old or new cameras comes up with astonishing results. 

And there is more to it.

Shooting film is seen by many clients as a sort of "old master" thing, even if you are a youngster.
Clients look at the phenomenon of Instagram (imitations of film) and when you bring up the idea of shooting the real thing their eyes light up.

I can safely say that for me shooting film has been a significant part of getting some of the high end work I have been getting.

TMARK

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »

Johannes,

Lets not forget Sara Moon! 

One thing that I believe pushes creativity are limitations of the tools.  The push of your vision against the inherent limitations of the medium can produce stunning results. Nadar, Paolo Roversi, Sara Moon, Sally Mann, Irving Penn, Atget, etc. etc.  Those old, imperfect lenses and big, slow film.  Dreamy.  These photograpers weren't/aren't acurately recording a scene, they are creating dreams, altered states.
Pages: [1]   Go Up