Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping on the medium format wagon  (Read 10648 times)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
Jumping on the medium format wagon
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:23 am »

So I'm a photographer in Sweden, currently shooting a 5D mk ii. My goal is to step further in to the world of commercial shooting and want to build my business on delivering higher quality than the other photographers in my town.

So I've been looking at the h3dii-39 cause it's so much of a camera for low price. But my main problem here is the screen. The resolution on it is as low as on the original 5d. And that's terrible. So is need to tether all the time. But when on location where the is no power available, my laptop (or any that you buy today) don't have FireWire. Is there a solution for this?

Also, what's your thoughts, do you think it's worth saving up to a h4d-40 or a iq-160 to get newer technology?

design_freak

Re: Jumping on the medium format wagon
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:29 am »

It depends on the type of work. If you work outdoors often and you do not use flash light, H4D40 - it will be a great choice. Very good quality above ISO 100 sensitivity Very fast - ideal for fashion. However, there is less than H3D39 matrix.
Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:28:54 am »

I use the enlinchrome quadra flashes and use them on location as well. For high iso work I use the canon camera so I'm looking for a great low iso camera. That's easy to tether to my asus laptop.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:32:24 am by Emilmedia »

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:21 am »

If your laptop use expresscard 34
you need to buy something like this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw800expresscard34.html
you need know that you need power adapter as well to this card or to firewire repeter/hub
http://www.granitedigital.com/6port1394-b800repeaterhubwuniversalpowersupply.aspx
Keep in mind that
all Hasselblad FireWire powered backs require 10 watts of input power. (H3dX)
So if you want to buy new Retina MBP, don't buy TB/Firewire adapter form Apple ( provides only 7W )

H4D40 is amazing camera... but in good price you can buy second hand H3DII50 and in near future even H4D50 ;-)

Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:58:09 am »

The h3dii-39 I found I can get for $6800, wich in Sweden is a really low price (including taxes). The closest ive found was at $9000. I wouldnt mind a h4d-50 thou. Maybe if I wait a year it will be down at a reasonable price.

My laptop is a Asus n73s, so i dont have any express card slot. And i honestly dont feel even slightly interested in buying a Mac. The problem I see also with that firewire hub is that you need a firewire slot to start with and they require external power. I'd like a solution that maybe fits with a USB 3.0 input and dont need external power. If it even exists?

design_freak

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:03 am »

Hmmm,
P1 IQ series, Have USB3 socket, but it still don't work. But you can use firewire - because back have own battery. The same - MamiyaLeaf Credo. (have Firewire only)

Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:33:07 am »

So what you are saying is that if i buy the h3dii-39 i have to buy a new computer to teather cause there is no usb 3.0 -> firewire switch/adapter that works?

design_freak

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:45:59 am »

In H3DII39 you have only FW800 (1394b). There is no MFDB on the market with USB 3.0 that works.( P1 IQ )  Maybe we will know more tomorrow ;) Photokina  ::)

Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:02:31 am »

So my current feeling is to wait for the usb3.0 connection to be activated on the IQ-backs and then buy me a iq160. To be safe for at least a couple of years.

design_freak

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:57:29 am »

I think that, first of all, you need to think about which system best works for you. Selection of equipment due to the type of connection is not on my checklist for the top position ... In my opinion, neither FW800 or USB 3.0 are not a solution. Optic TB it will be something  8)
Durable, fast,  20m long....
http://www.macworld.com/article/1166542/optical_cables_for_thunderbolt_ports_shipped_by_sumitomo.html

I wrote about this years ago :)

Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:16 am »

The only problem is that i dont want to wait for 8 years ;)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »

I think that, first of all, you need to think about which system best works for you. Selection of equipment due to the type of connection is not on my checklist for the top position ... In my opinion, neither FW800 or USB 3.0 are not a solution. Optic TB it will be something  8)
Durable, fast,  20m long....
http://www.macworld.com/article/1166542/optical_cables_for_thunderbolt_ports_shipped_by_sumitomo.html

I wrote about this years ago :)

I'll go on record saying we will not see any cameras with native Thunderbolt connectivity.

It's not a protocol appropriate for this kind of connection.

USB3 is clearly the near and mid term future for camera connections.

Of course I'm just making a highly educated guess - I can always be wrong.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 12:23:44 pm »

Also, what's your thoughts, do you think it's worth saving up to a h4d-40 or a iq-160 to get newer technology?

The Credo 40 or IQ140 is more apples-to-apples with the H4D-40.

If budget is a concern a pre-owned or demo Credo 40 is a good option. That would be your lowest cost option for a back with an LCD in that class.

FredBGG

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »

Emil

I took a look at your work.... nice. You are certainly achieving well with the Canon.

Regarding MFD as an upgrade from that you have I would not bother with anything with a sensor that is 33x44mm... it's just too close to 24x36 especially if you consider that the newest 35mm FF sensors are more advanced.

More than  the type of work you do determining if upgrading to MFD is worth while you should decide more based on how your work is published.

This comparison should help. Keep in mind it is a comparison between the D800 and the very top of the line MFB the IQ180.

http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

What I am getting at is that if your work is not printed very large AND VIEWED CLOSE the difference in quality is not that significant.

I think it is important to keep in mind that today quality levels are so high that the quality from less expensive cameras is more than sufficient for the vast majority of publications or use by commercial customers.

With quality levels this high over the board it is becoming more about content and the quality you produce in front of the lens.

Anyway I think that your idea of getting the Hassy 39 is a good idea to "investigate" MFD and see how you like it.
It's not too expensive and at a price that enthusiasts would still buy one for so if you decide to go in another direction
you can re sell it at about the same price +/-.

As far as getting an IQ back instead of the Hasselblad keep in mind that the technology difference from an image quality point of view is not that significant. It's more about ergonomics and screen. There are some improvements like better live view, but that live view is still far inferior to what you have with Canon. Also an 80MP sensor is not twice as sharp as a 40MP sensor. Sharpness is a linear function so look at horizontal pixel count.  7212 vs 10328.

One last thing. Before getting an MFD system I would take a close look at Carl Zeiss's new lenses for 35mm cameras. Very large lens designs that might just be what the top FF 35mm dslr cameras may need to show their full potential. The over size designs give the designer more freedom to produce a different type of look.

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »

The Credo 40 or IQ140 is more apples-to-apples with the H4D-40.

If budget is a concern a pre-owned or demo Credo 40 is a good option. That would be your lowest cost option for a back with an LCD in that class.

The reason that I want the 160 is the larger sensor. Also the mamiya leaf backs are really rare here in Sweden :/

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

Emil

I took a look at your work.... nice. You are certainly achieving well with the Canon.

Regarding MFD as an upgrade from that you have I would not bother with anything with a sensor that is 33x44mm... it's just too close to 24x36 especially if you consider that the newest 35mm FF sensors are more advanced.

More than  the type of work you do determining if upgrading to MFD is worth while you should decide more based on how your work is published.

This comparison should help. Keep in mind it is a comparison between the D800 and the very top of the line MFB the IQ180.

http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

What I am getting at is that if your work is not printed very large AND VIEWED CLOSE the difference in quality is not that significant.

I think it is important to keep in mind that today quality levels are so high that the quality from less expensive cameras is more than sufficient for the vast majority of publications or use by commercial customers.

With quality levels this high over the board it is becoming more about content and the quality you produce in front of the lens.

Anyway I think that your idea of getting the Hassy 39 is a good idea to "investigate" MFD and see how you like it.
It's not too expensive and at a price that enthusiasts would still buy one for so if you decide to go in another direction
you can re sell it at about the same price +/-.

As far as getting an IQ back instead of the Hasselblad keep in mind that the technology difference from an image quality point of view is not that significant. It's more about ergonomics and screen. There are some improvements like better live view, but that live view is still far inferior to what you have with Canon. Also an 80MP sensor is not twice as sharp as a 40MP sensor. Sharpness is a linear function so look at horizontal pixel count.  7212 vs 10328.

One last thing. Before getting an MFD system I would take a close look at Carl Zeiss's new lenses for 35mm cameras. Very large lens designs that might just be what the top FF 35mm dslr cameras may need to show their full potential. The over size designs give the designer more freedom to produce a different type of look.

Thanks for the complements. Honestly I know the difference is small. But even if I'm really new in this business I really want to give he impression that I in all aspects deliver a professional product. Some of my Band pictures are printed on posters but other than that its more magazines and those just gers as big as 30x40 cm. at the same time, I don't want to be limited. I've been going over the decision in my head the last year.

It's eather leaning towards the cheaper h3d or waiting for used iq160s to show up.

design_freak

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

I'll go on record saying we will not see any cameras with native Thunderbolt connectivity.

It's not a protocol appropriate for this kind of connection.

USB3 is clearly the near and mid term future for camera connections.

Of course I'm just making a highly educated guess - I can always be wrong.

There's no camera, but if it was I would buy this camera.
Why the protocol is not appropriate for such a connection? Please explain if you can. What is the difference between TB and 1394b / USB 3.0

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
DF

design_freak

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:07:43 pm »

Thanks for the complements. Honestly I know the difference is small. But even if I'm really new in this business I really want to give he impression that I in all aspects deliver a professional product. Some of my Band pictures are printed on posters but other than that its more magazines and those just gers as big as 30x40 cm. at the same time, I don't want to be limited. I've been going over the decision in my head the last year.

It's eather leaning towards the cheaper h3d or waiting for used iq160s to show up.

Good decision, I think that you buy cheap and you will be pleased
Best regards,
DF

FredBGG

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »

Thanks for the complements. Honestly I know the difference is small. But even if I'm really new in this business I really want to give he impression that I in all aspects deliver a professional product.

If you are really new to the business the compliments are more than merited. I think it is safe to say that your work speaks for itself.

You should explore other formats. The Hassey for the price you found is a good way to do that.
Much better than putting all the money into a far more expensive IQ160 right away.
Keep in mind that for professional use you will need to have a backup.
You can use your Canon as a back up, but that may not go down well if you "sold yourself" as MF.

Another thing you can look into is also using your new digital back on a Fuji gx680 for additional functionality like tilt shift
as well as 6x8 film. It would not be very expensive to add onto a Medium Format kit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:47:26 pm by FredBGG »

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »

If you are really new to the business the compliments are more than merited. I think it is safe to say that your work speaks for itself.

You should explore other formats. The Hassey for the price you found is a good way to do that.
Much better than putting all the money into a far more expensive IQ160 right away.
Keep in mind that for professional use you will need to have a backup.

Yeah well - big thanks anyway. I've been serious about developing my shooting for a year and been making money from it for four months. So compared to people who have been shooting for 30-40 years I guess I'm quite new. So all complements, tips and critiques makes a difference.

I was thinking of keeping the 5d mk ii as backup. It's quite competent as a spare I guess. And if I buy a hassy I'd need a complete extra body/back outfit. Not just extra back. And that money just don't exist today, it's honestly quite a stretch to buy one already.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:52:50 pm by Emilmedia »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up