Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brisbane river, storm approaching  (Read 1711 times)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Brisbane river, storm approaching
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:56:18 am »

Comments please. In particular, is the post-processing overcooked?
Ken Cameron

francois

Re: Brisbane river, storm approaching
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:49:44 am »

Well, for me the sky is overdone but other that that it's a very nice panorama.
Francois

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:17 pm »

I love the shot and agree with Francios that the clouds are a bit edgy. If this were mine, I might also try a slight screen overlay and/or some sharpening on the buildings to help them pop a bit.

The way the Ferris wheel stands out against the sky is excellent.

This is a great reminder to do more day time captures. The light is similar to what we frequently get in the Seattle area (read that grey, cloudy and often rainy), but still photo op worthy. Of course, having said that, for the last 2 months we’ve had about 1 part of 1 day with rain, which is *extremely* unusual.

Nicely done overall.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »

This is nice work.  The edginess factor is slightly overdone for my taste, but still cool. 

One technical nitpick. I can see your pano seams in the water.  Moving water (particularly ocean waves) are very hard to stitch without seeing the blended, blurred seam.  In some cases you can use a photoshop dry mixer brush with no color selected and smear the water into a pattern that doesn't look as straight, but in this case the only fix is to clone over the blended seams to make them irregular, thus less noticeable.  It is hard to do well, but it can work and be unnoticable. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

Hi Ken. I'm not fond of the processing ( overcooked as you call it) but tastes differ, others might like it.

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »

Ken,

I robe-up to join the chorus of 'over-cooked'. sad to say.  I also detect that some of the over-cooking has spilled over onto the tops of office towers.

Maybe part of the issue is that the city CBD itself needed some cranking up to match the sky.  The drab light on the building may be factual but something else needs to be done to it to make a better match.  A match which could lead to the sky NOT looking as over-cooked.

Cheers,

W

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:48:12 am »

Thanks everyone.  I thought it might strike people as overcooked, as it did me. The reason I pushed it is that the scene and the occasion were kind of overcooked -  lurid and threatening - a few big raindrops were falling and I was afraid of getting wet. I need to find a different way to preserve that feeling. Back to work.

Oh and thanks also for the technical suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:52:04 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up