Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Full Frame Wars. Utility of DX lenses on FX cameras?  (Read 1776 times)

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
Re: Full Frame Wars. Utility of DX lenses on FX cameras?
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »

Nikon’s strategy could work with me (amateur enthusiast).  The Nikon D600 looks attractive to me as an affordable path from my D80 to FX.  Well worth considering instead of upgrading to the D7000.  D600 DX crop mode is about 10 megapixels, as is my D80, so I can use my DX lenses without loss of resolution, which is an important consideration for me.  Over time my new lenses will then be FX.

Is this a good idea as a migration path?  Is shooting with DX lenses on an FX camera a good idea?

Is it hard to shoot in DX crop mode?  I assume the viewfinder shows the full FX image with a boundary around the DX frame.  Won’t the DX part appear smaller than with a DX camera?  Does seeing the full FX frame make it difficult to compose the DX part?  Will the smaller image circle of good definition be disconcerting?  Or does this just require a little practice to get used to?

Or will I find myself continuing to use the D80 for my DX lenses?

Experienced advice welcome!

……………

As an aside, the D600 will provide fewer pixels for those with DX Nikons newer than my D80, which are 12, 14 and 16 mp.  They will lose resolution with their DX lenses on the D600.  (Yes, there’s much more to image quality than pixel count.)    This may negatively affect Nikon’s apparent strategy of attracting DX owners to switch to FX.  Of course, there are other reasons one might accept pixel reduction in the trade for the D600.  Larger pixels, CMOS vs CCD, superior ISO performance, image processing, focusing, fps, convenience features,  etc. etc.  The older the camera, such as mine, the more these factors loom large.
Pages: [1]   Go Up