Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New CMOS sensors and cameras.  (Read 5875 times)

FredBGG

New CMOS sensors and cameras.
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »

Looking at the quality of the D800 and now the D600 I wonder how far we are from a new medium format player.

Just think about it. It would not be difficult for Nikon to make a basic DSLR with a bigger sensor and a few lenses
for much less than the MF companies can. Matching the functionality of the Hasselblad or Phase One camera would be a piece of cake for them
if you look at that they can achieve with precision on smaller cameras with tighter tolerances.

The only different stuff is multi shot, true focus (over rated) and 1/1600th flash sync.

But these could be achieved too. Multi shot could be done much faster.

Nikon would have no problem designing the lenses... they have done MF and Large Format before.

There is always the cost of a larger sensor, but if we look at how inexpensive full frame has become I can see sensors 1.5 or 2 times the surface area
not prohibitive.

Just look at what the D600 is achieving with a $ 2,099 body.

Maybe the camera could debute as a special camera for the Tilt shift lenses.
Mirrorless live view. Make the camera capable of using current lenses all be it with more vignette and corner artifacts, but the look of an 85mm 1.4
spread over a larger sensor would look quite interesting.

One can already look at the Harblei body to get an idea of what this direction could do.

We may actually not be very far from MF being as "democratic" as it was back in the film days.... and less "aristocratic" as it is today.

The best thing would be the adoption by a much wider user base so there would be more development and innovation as we have seen in the smaller formats.

DeckardTrinity

Re: New CMOS sensors and cameras.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »

Three thoughts: 1. If it were that easy, it would already have been done. 2. The leap beyond 35mm sensor technology is not as simple as scaling the costs linearly, because yields from a sensor wafer become smaller faster as you increase size (wafers are circular in dimension, not rectangular). 3. Every single lens in the Nikon / Canon (two biggest players) lineup is designed / optimized for APS-C or 35mm sized sensors, no larger. Huge investment needed to create an entirely new line of lenses for a niche market.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but there is no indication (to me at least) that this is imminent.

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:06:30 am »

Medium format development is glacial compared to DSLR, you only have to look at their implementation of 'live view' to see how far behind they are. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the main players folds or gets absorbed before they get their act together and catch up. Just trundling along and releasing an 'improved' model with a few changes or super high MPixel counts can only attract so many new customers, those who prioritise VFM and usable features tend to look elsewhere.

gazwas

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:02:49 am »

Looking to the future, I think the big gun are more interested in smaller formats and the motion segment than an ever decreasing MF user base.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:05 am »

Looking at the quality of the D800 and now the D600 I wonder how far we are from a new medium format player.

Just think about it. It would not be difficult for Nikon to make a basic DSLR with a bigger sensor and a few lenses
for much less than the MF companies can. Matching the functionality of the Hasselblad or Phase One camera would be a piece of cake for them
if you look at that they can achieve with precision on smaller cameras with tighter tolerances.

The only different stuff is multi shot, true focus (over rated) and 1/1600th flash sync.

But these could be achieved too. Multi shot could be done much faster.

Nikon would have no problem designing the lenses... they have done MF and Large Format before.

There is always the cost of a larger sensor, but if we look at how inexpensive full frame has become I can see sensors 1.5 or 2 times the surface area
not prohibitive.

Just look at what the D600 is achieving with a $ 2,099 body.

Maybe the camera could debute as a special camera for the Tilt shift lenses.
Mirrorless live view. Make the camera capable of using current lenses all be it with more vignette and corner artifacts, but the look of an 85mm 1.4
spread over a larger sensor would look quite interesting.

One can already look at the Harblei body to get an idea of what this direction could do.

We may actually not be very far from MF being as "democratic" as it was back in the film days.... and less "aristocratic" as it is today.

The best thing would be the adoption by a much wider user base so there would be more development and innovation as we have seen in the smaller formats.

Well as a Hasselblad and DSLR user I think that this post is just so typical of the antagonism towards Hasselblad or perhaps even to MFD in general.  It is not rocket science really.  If you make a complicated, professional durable system in small quantities and provide an international marketing and support setup of course it is going to be expensive.  If you make 100's of thousands of DSLR's with bits of plastic of course they are going to be cheaper.  I, like any other photographers, need and use both systems. 

Wishing for a cheap "Rolls Royce" that everyone can buy sure won't make it happen.  But used Hasselblad digital cameras, serviced and guaranteed by Hasselblad, are now freely available at around the price of a D4 - what's not to like about that?
David Watson ARPS

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:06 am »

The other thing is this, why so demeaning about the things (you think) that sets MF apart from 35mm? True Focus you claim to be overrated, I think it is brilliant to be able to have an AF point that I can place anywhere in the composition. 1/1600 or 1/800th sync speed is a big deal to me. The  by you so-called brilliant D600 has a sync speed of 1/200 which makes it almost utterly useless when balancing (and playing with) flash with ambient. Multishot is great with stills and still unsurpassed by anything single shot.

Maybe Nikon could be doing these things but sofar they have not and judging from the D600 they seem to have no intention to do so. I can understand why they would not, much more to make in more mainstream equipment for the masses.

I use both 35mm as well as MF. If I can I prefer using MF. I am sure the MF players would love to have a wider user base but I suspect this simply is not going to happen.

Funny thing is that it mostly boils down to price eventually but in that department you can have perfectly functioning 39MP bodies for the price of D4's. Even that area has now been covered.

I don't care what people are saying but my D800 files do not have the same quality as those from my H4D60. The first delivers files that are usable the other files that make me wanna get more.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:58 am »

Three thoughts: 1. If it were that easy, it would already have been done. 2. The leap beyond 35mm sensor technology is not as simple as scaling the costs linearly, because yields from a sensor wafer become smaller faster as you increase size (wafers are circular in dimension, not rectangular). 3. Every single lens in the Nikon / Canon (two biggest players) lineup is designed / optimized for APS-C or 35mm sized sensors, no larger. Huge investment needed to create an entirely new line of lenses for a niche market.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but there is no indication (to me at least) that this is imminent.

This whole thing about scaling up sensor sizes and yields etc has changed significantly over the years. Just look at what a FF sensor cost back in the day and compare it to today.
The IQ180 is a stitched sensor.... it might not be to big of a deal to stitch a d600 sensor variation and end up with a 50MP senssor that is far better than what we have today and at a potentially much better cost.

Actually talking to a lens designer the huge investments would not be that huge for Canon or Nikon as they have massive lens making capacity, have no problem making larger lens elements and have more advanced glass formulations due to the necessity of squeezing more resolution into smaller spaces. Zeiss, Schneider and Kyochera would jump into the foray as both Nikon and Canon have always allowed for 3rd party lenses.

Every single lens in the Nikon / Canon

Not true. The majority... yes.

Nikon has already made MF and large format lenses.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:48:46 am by FredBGG »

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

Maybe Nikon could be doing these things but sofar they have not and judging from the D600 they seem to have no intention to do so. I can understand why they would not, much more to make in more mainstream equipment for the masses.

Well that might be exactly the point.

There was a day when medium format was for the masses and the aesthetic of the photographs of the time had a format driven look
that is not there today.

No one would have thought that a FF camera would be available for $ 2099 that also shoots 5.5 frames per second and has a quality that the D600 has.

With Nikon and Canon in head to head competition and both being giant corporations one of them my want to make the investment to make a MF among other things for the presitge. The camera would both make money directly as well as drive sales through prestige all the way down to their luxury point and shoots.

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:09:27 am »

Wishing for a cheap "Rolls Royce" that everyone can buy sure won't make it happen.  But used Hasselblad digital cameras, serviced and guaranteed by Hasselblad, are now freely available at around the price of a D4 - what's not to like about that?

Nothing in the camera world comes close to a Rolls Royce. We had one. A Hasselblad does not come close to a Ferrari. We had both and used many.
The Hasselblad IS NOT A LUXURY item in my opinion. It is a very good ... excellent camera, but it is neither as refined as a Rolls or as exciting or stylish as a Ferrari.
It's a fine piece of machinery, but it is a tool. A Rolls Royce or a Ferrari are not tools.

I use many formats and appreciate them all, but because I do not idealize or worship any of them I consider them fine tools and as such am both critical and positive about their functionality.

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:29:48 am »

The other thing is this, why so demeaning about the things (you think) that sets MF apart from 35mm? True Focus you claim to be overrated,

You masy see it as demeaning. I call it being realistic and making things more clear.

Lets take a closer look at True Focus.

First of all Hasselblad calls the sensor in it an Absolute Position Lock.
This implies that it Absolutly controls camera position and corrects for movement, yet it only compensated for yaw. Angualar movement of the lens.
While it is a nifty workaround it is pretty much limited in its functionality to wider angle lenses, yet Hasselblad markets it to fashion photographers and portrait photographers
showing shots taken with long focal lengths.

As the camera can only detect rotational movement, care
must be taken when re-composing to make sure there are
no or very little, movement closer or further away from the
subject.

And from later in the article referring to an 80mm lens:

When the camera is tilted for composition, the point of maximum sharpness falls just behind the eyes. However, the DOF
is almost large enough to render the eye sharp making the
difference hard to see. A camera movement closer or further
away from the camera even as small as 1 cm will change the
result and True Focus might not fully correct the focus.

So all you need is very small movement by either the model, the photographer or ball head of the tripod to nullify what true focus can do.

True focus is useless with any tilt shift lens if tilt shift is used.

I think that True Focus and Absolute Position Lock are a bit of an over rated title for the capabilities of True Focus.

Is it better than working wide open with a Phase One DF... hell yes and kudos to Hasselblad for developing it.

When I say it is over rated I am referring to the fact that it cannot match other far less expensive technology available today such as live view focus on a DSLR.
On the D800 and many other cameras you can move the focus box to where you want very quickly and without recomposing the photo. You can move it right into the corner
and even zoom it up for fine focus checking.

[/quote]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 01:02:16 pm »

When I say it is over rated I am referring to the fact that it cannot match other far less expensive technology available today such as live view focus on a DSLR.
On the D800 and many other cameras you can move the focus box to where you want very quickly and without recomposing the photo. You can move it right into the corner
and even zoom it up for fine focus checking.

I can use TF with a model pretty easily and fairly fast where as this would be totally impossible with live view and contrast detection AF as you are describing on a DSLR. Where TF is very welcome for me for portrait work at a moderate pace. Live view would be totally useless and in this case for me overrated which doesn't mean it has no value or is overrated in general.

Naturally when the photographer is moving or the model is moving forward or you are using a tripod with ball head TF is not of much use but when working handheld with large aperture it is great and you will have substantially more images with the focus where you intended it.

I know I have, in the end that is what counts for me. I reckon TF was not much help to you.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »

Nothing in the camera world comes close to a Rolls Royce. We had one. A Hasselblad does not come close to a Ferrari. We had both and used many.
The Hasselblad IS NOT A LUXURY item in my opinion. It is a very good ... excellent camera, but it is neither as refined as a Rolls or as exciting or stylish as a Ferrari.
It's a fine piece of machinery, but it is a tool. A Rolls Royce or a Ferrari are not tools.

I use many formats and appreciate them all, but because I do not idealize or worship any of them I consider them fine tools and as such am both critical and positive about their functionality.

Never said it was.  Just pointing out that a DSLR is a mass produced item (say like a Ford) and a Hasselblad is not (like a RR). Totally agree that cameras are just tools and BTW have heard many people say a Ferrari isa nice tool too!
David Watson ARPS

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 02:01:46 pm »

The other thing is this, why so demeaning about the things (you think) that sets MF apart from 35mm? True Focus you claim to be overrated, I think it is brilliant to be able to have an AF point that I can place anywhere in the composition. 1/1600 or 1/800th sync speed is a big deal to me. The  by you so-called brilliant D600 has a sync speed of 1/200 which makes it almost utterly useless when balancing (and playing with) flash with ambient. Multishot is great with stills and still unsurpassed by anything single shot.

I use both 35mm as well as MF. If I can I prefer using MF. I am sure the MF players would love to have a wider user base but I suspect this simply is not going to happen.

Funny thing is that it mostly boils down to price eventually but in that department you can have perfectly functioning 39MP bodies for the price of D4's. Even that area has now been covered.

I don't care what people are saying but my D800 files do not have the same quality as those from my H4D60. The first delivers files that are usable the other files that make me wanna get more.

Totally agree
David Watson ARPS

FredBGG

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

I can use TF with a model pretty easily and fairly fast where as this would be totally impossible with live view and contrast detection AF as you are describing on a DSLR. Where TF is very welcome for me for portrait work at a moderate pace. Live view would be totally useless and in this case for me overrated which doesn't mean it has no value or is overrated in general.

Naturally when the photographer is moving or the model is moving forward or you are using a tripod with ball head TF is not of much use but when working handheld with large aperture it is great and you will have substantially more images with the focus where you intended it.

I know I have, in the end that is what counts for me. I reckon TF was not much help to you.

"substantially more images with the focus where you intended it to be"  You said it all.

I have found that using live view with face recognition with the D800 at a moderate pace... about 1 shot per second or a bit faster gets me almost 100% in focus with the 85mm 1.4 wide open. This is a shallower depth of field than with the hassy 150 3.5.

I have never been able to achieve this accuracy or speed with true focus. It is simply almost impossible with a heavy camera to not move when recomposing, especially if you are leaning, crouching and concentrating on expression, hair, cloths and you want the model to sigh or express emotion with a deep breath, gasp or is simply standing with her feet other than planted two feet apart.

I've been doing this for 30 years and much of it with large format film. I would love to be able to achieve more of this look and be able to do it with the focus hit rate that is
expected today. Wide open with MF would be lovely, but I get better results with D800, both focus and dynamic range.

Nikon facial tracking and live view right off the sensor focusing is really practical and actually quicker than straight AF with the Hasselblad.
Also while it is right off the sensor it is accurate right to the corners. It tracks faces really well too.

There are also new developments that can also detect rotation etc... this will likely make its way to cameras soon allowing you to establish focus on the closest eye automatically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPh6-J9wOA

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 02:30:21 pm »

"substantially more images with the focus where you intended it to be"  You said it all.

I have found that using live view with face recognition with the D800 at a moderate pace... about 1 shot per second or a bit faster gets me almost 100% in focus with the 85mm 1.4 wide open. This is a shallower depth of field than with the hassy 150 3.5.

I have never been able to achieve this accuracy or speed with true focus. It is simply almost impossible with a heavy camera to not move when recomposing, especially if you are leaning, crouching and concentrating on expression, hair, cloths and you want the model to sigh

I get a very high percentage which is not far from 100% with TF, the way I use it. Indeed with the 150/3.2 and the 100/2.2. As I said a percentage I am not able to get with the D800 and I find the D800 files are not at the same level as the HB's. Again it seems my way of working benefits more from the Hb and TF than yours, this is fine. To each his own I would say. You and the Nikons seem to be a match made in heaven, I am not there yet at this moment...

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »

Hi Fred

I think you somehow answered the question by yourself.
Of course Canon or Nikon could do a "medium format" system with a larger chip.
But they do not need to do it. Canon has already used a 120 Mpix chip on the Wondercam on Worldexpo in 2010 in Shanghai and Paris.
This was a fullformat 35mm CMOS Prototype chip, many people expected to see this on the last Photokina, but Canon decided not to show it.
A Market for a small number(for them MF is probably a boutique product and they count in 6 digit numbers of production units at least)
will not support their costs. That easy.
If they will do a high resolution camera it needs to be optimized for reaching a broader market and keep costs down.
Nikon has already showed how they want to do it. Canon will probably follow very soon. They wil use the same infrastructure as the EOS system.

I´m pretty sure about this.

Regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

bcooter

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »

Other than CMOS, Pentax and Leica have already delivered what you asked for.   A dslr handling semi-medium format camera that has close to the functionality of a modern 35mm dslr, with excellent lcds, in camera jpeg processing, faster response than the typical medium format camera.

They may be missing cmos and true multi point autofocus, but those cameras are as dslr like as it gets, actually they are dslrs.

They also cover both ends of the spectrum, a 9 grand body (Pentax) and a $28,000 body (leica).

But if you really want what I think you want call fuji, because they dipped their toe in the water a long time ago.

The only problem with this back was Fuji didn't go further with development, which means they didn't make a smaller 680 camera or a larger back, but let's be realistic;

If the market was there cash in hand for a 6x8 digital back or a cmos digital back or a fast 10 fps, 10,000 iso digital back, I don't have any doubt that some manufacturer would not fill that roll.

In fact the market seems to have gone the other way, with less expensive, more megapixels, almost 2 year and gone cameras.  Nikon positioned their new 800 as their studio professional camera and Sony, Canon, all have gone 24 something  mpx for under $4,000, with less than robust bodies.

Buying a camera, even for professionals, is sometimes like buying a car, a house or a suit.  You don't always buy what you need, you buy what you want and most importantly can afford. 

If you can afford an expensive niche camera, car, house, suit, then go for it, if you can't you buy something more pedestrian and main stream, but I don't believe with still or motion cameras we're ever going to go larger than 645.

I made a point on this forum years ago that I felt 24x36 was the new medium format, 645 was large format and aps c or 4:3 were the cameras that filled the general population 35mm roll and of course on this side of the forum screamed like it as blasphemy that anything less than almost 645 was even considered medium format, though that's the way the world seems to be  going.

Apple has given up on 17" powerbooks, and large desktops and when I travel by plane, instead of everyone viewing a laptop they're looking at an ipad.  Electronic devices are getting smaller, some  delivering big results, but I don't see anyone going bigger in just about anything from cars to cameras.

Given that, I just don't think it's a one size fits all world.  In the typical shoot day we use different formats  and I find nothing wrong with that other than we have to carry a lot of camera cases and lens sets, but that's just the way it is today, at least for my work.

Recently the only news that even half way excites me is the new Arri LED fresnels.   750 watts, low draw, daylight balanced for under 3 grand.

http://www.arri.com/l-series/performance.html

IMO

BC

BJL

Pentax is your best bet ... IS lenses to start
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »

Stefan Steib and others have explained well why Nikon and Canon have no commercial motive to enter the relatively tiny "larger than 36x24mm" market segment; it is for one thing far smaller now than it was in the film era, and they took no interest in it even then.

On the other hand, Ricoh-Pentax is bringing some of the economy-of-scale advantages of its mainstream DSLR operations to medium format, most recently with the first stabilized lens for DMF, which goes well with its greater emphasis on hand-held, outdoors usage of DMF, where the better low light performance of CMOS is also most wanted. Whatever small chance there is of anyone making the ecomonies of scale work for a DMF CMOS sensor, they are probably better for Ricoh-Pentax than anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:22:34 pm by BJL »

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »

I bought a hassy H3DII 39MP and a 50-110mm just because the girls like "big and large stuff..."... ;D
It was just for make the girls crazy...the hassy sucks...its heavy...just 50-100iso...bad lcd...slow af and frame rate...blaaaaablaaaa
But I don´t know why...everytime i saw the RAW files in my screen i just forget how bad the H3D is and make me smile with so much happyness...

Photography its not allways about resolution and quality, i think if in the future we have a camera phone with te same file quality of the MFD, no one here prefer to use the camera photo in the magic moment to do a great pic...

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 08:10:44 pm »

I think that after 3 months using Medium Format, i learn that everything that is more difficult to accomplish some times give you better results and satisfaction.
In the present age of digital 35mm everything its so good, frame rate...AF...isos...that most of people shoot fast and large amount of pics and fix later...for me with the H3D force me to calm down, look at the camera, viewfinder, hand light meter shoot much less.

But in the end that give me more pleasure, a better tecnical skills and much much less computer pos-production tunning and less pics in the same card for the same job compared if worked with my 5D markii
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up