Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multitool for Photographers  (Read 11199 times)

Andrew_AT

Multitool for Photographers
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:12:37 am »

Cheers,

I'm looking for a new high quality Multitool for my on-location shootings.

The most obvious choices Leatherman & Victorinox all feature heavy pliers but large scissors (like not yet available Leatherman Raptor) for backdrops, gobos, ... seem more useful to me as photographer.
A Bit holder with Phillips, Torx and Hex would be my second priority.
I'm pretty impressed with the Victorinox SwissTool CS Plus but it's very heavy and has good but small scissors.

What are you using?

thanks!

thierrylegros396

Re: Multitool for Photographers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »

Victorinox ;) ;)

Have a Nice W-E.

Thierry

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

I've carried a Leatherman Wave for the last ten years when working and it's been invaluable.

I'd forget about the add-ons on any multi-tool. If you need things like Allen keys or Torx drivers carry a specific tool kit.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:20:42 am »

I don't know if you can even find one any more, but I have a Leatherman Super Tool and an accessory in a separate pouch that fits the tool and holds standard 1/4" hex bits. Even has a 45 deg and 90 deg stop.  I don't leave home without it.  One thing I like about Leatherman is that I once broke the jaw off the pliers, contacted the company, they sent me an address and when I sent in my tool I received a brand new one w/o question.  If you buy one somewhere like Mountain Equipment Coop you can bring in the old one and receipt and they'll exchange it over the counter.  SOG also makes good tools.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Andrew_AT

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

I've ordered the Swisstool and the Leatherman Surge since it seems to have the largest scissors.
One will have to leave at the end of this show.  :)

simonstucki

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:16:07 pm »

I've carried a Leatherman Wave for the last ten years when working and it's been invaluable.

I'd forget about the add-ons on any multi-tool. If you need things like Allen keys or Torx drivers carry a specific tool kit.

why? of course high quality screwdrivers or allen keys are better than a high quality L-shaped bitholder with high quality 1/4" bits, but not by that much, especially if you only use them infrequently. And besides to carry 7 screw drivers and 5 allen keys in your pockets must be quite unpleasant I would imagine.

and to answer the original question: I use victorinox (as I am from Switzerland, I have to :) but I also had an leatherman once (bevor the ones from victorinox were available) and that was fine too, well made and nothing to complain about. (however I'm not so sure what I think of the cheapes leatherman versions)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:11 am »

why? of course high quality screwdrivers or allen keys are better than a high quality L-shaped bitholder with high quality 1/4" bits, but not by that much, especially if you only use them infrequently.
Indeed they usually are higher quality and less likely to damage what you're working on, which is reason enough if you've ever had to remove a screw/bolt with a head damaged so much it can't be undone.
As you also say, things like Torx heads are still so rare on most kit you're likely to deal with as a photographer, it's not worth keeping them on your person all the time.
Sets of add-on bits add to the bulk of the personal kit and are rather too easy to loose and they add to the cost.
A basic multitool covers the vast majority of minor issues we deal with day to day. Anything more technical can usually be foreseen and accommodated with the best tools for the job.

I keep a 'get out of jail' tool kit in my car/rucksack, so it's never too far away.

francois

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:38:53 am »

One will have to leave at the end of this show.  :)

Let us know!
Francois

Alto

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:55:23 am »

Hi All

+1 for Victorinox they also have a no gibber guarantee .

Jon

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:54:40 pm »

1. 2 Allen, 1 Torx, 1 Phillips, 1 flat, plus the usual serrated knife. Tool sizes are those commonly used for gun maintenance. http://www.crkt.com/8975?&search_id=253555  Good company, high quality, I have one plain manual folding/locking 3" blade knife I carry for camping.

2. Find good scissors and knife multi-tool, maybe with  standard hex-base bit socket and storage bay for bits. Keep Allens and spare bits from other toolsets in a separate small pocket container. Being a pathologist, I use the lowly 5-slide locking plastic shipping container, 9 x 3 x 1.5 cm, for tiny tools and parts. For small Allens, you could use the $2.00 plastic "waterproof match" case, similar size to slide shipper.

Marlyn

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »

I use a Leatherman multi tool for knife/plyers etc etc, and the new RRS Screwdriver for anything with screws, hex keys, torque etc.

It has replaced a bunch of other crap I used to carry around.

See here for the RRS:  http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=_MTX&type=4&eq=&desc=MTX%3a-Multi-Tool-with-22-bits-%26-1-hex-key&key=it

Regards

Mark

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

Personally, I am Swiss Army as well.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Andrew_AT

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:43:30 am »

Thanks for your replies. Interesting points.

However, i kept the Victorinox.

My very subjective reasons:
The Swiss is built like a tank spare part. The Surge, while somewhat better in hand, had a bit of play and did open too lightly but not smooth.
Some reviews mention this so i don't think i got a dud.
This might not be technically true but psychologically, i want the tool that comes as close as possible to a professional, super safe, solid steel object.
The Swiss tool might serve as hammer if needed.
Leatherman Surge, more expensive than the Victorinox Swiss Tool Plus (wrench edition now available at around 80 EUR), lacked this feeling.

At a initial look, i was all pro Leatherman for the bitholder being part of the tool. But now I'm not sure if using it on a couple really tight bolts will weaken it's construction even more. At product shots, i often have to remove parts of object, that were meant to sit there forever. Not to mention working with hex bolts on larger stands and tripods.
The compact external wrench in the pouch makes sense and i'm going to replace the decent included bits with top quality ones.

If you're the carbon guy, the Surge (compared to the ST with pouch) is lighter and seems plenty sturdy enough  ;)

The scissors on the leatherman are a tad larger but as expected, no replacement for real, solid scissors.

cheers,

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:02 am »

~ CB

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:22 pm »

This is my photographic little knife (not a multitool indeed...). I love my pudaìt.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:30:14 pm »

Gerber.

You carry one of each of the 70 at all times?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 07:28:18 pm »

You carry one of each of the 70 at all times?

LOL  I wish.  I have a couple of 'em. And this one looks interesting, too.
~ CB

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:36 pm »

And this one looks interesting, too.
At first glance it looked very interesting. But then I started to  wonder if it wouldn't combine a suboptimal multi-tool with a suboptimal tripod. Has anyone tried it?
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up