Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: H5D announced  (Read 40683 times)

amsp

Re: H5D announced
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »

Anyone know what improvements to the true focus have been made? 

and regarding phase ...  I'm an optimist... hoping for a completely new camera not just a 4th iteration on the flawed DF body.

That's what everyone expects I think. I remember them saying when they bought Mamiya that they were working on a completely new camera even before the purchase, but in the meantime they were going to iterate on the old one.

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »

What an interesting thread... and so much discussion on an eyecup. To those who have worked with the Hasselblad H system know that they can provide feedback whether it be through me, a Hasselblad Sales or Technical Rep, this information is passed onto our Product Managers who must determine what are the most commonly requested features, functional and design changes worldwide. It is these requests that find there way into the next generation camera.

I feel that Hasselblad has brought some very nice improvements to the 6th generation H5D camera.

• New compressed RAW files for faster and smoother workflow
• Even better focus correction with True Focus II
• Print-ready JPEG mode for quick preview and printing
• New Camera Configurator
• New improved grip surface
• Larger and more ergonomic buttons
• Larger, easier to read display style
• New menu and graphics design
• New programmable buttons
• New and improved weather sealing
• New, more durable eye cup
• New sensor unit safety lock
• New and faster processors for more rapid internal communication
• Support for new capture modes
• New and more accurate focus algorithms
• New motor drive algorithms
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 02:58:00 pm »

Hello - I would like a convenient "L" bracket option -

Most of my picture are taken in "portrait" orientation and the current Gitzo ball head tripods are inconvenient for turning the camera. The best option seems to be from Really Right Stuff or Kirker.

That aside - I am kind of hoping to upgrade from my H3D to this camera. But - one thing I would like it the capacity to "drop" teh camera from about 1 meter height with reasonable certainty of zero-damage other than a cosmetic scratch.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

hubell

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »

Paul, can you answer the inevitable question as to whether the H5D will be "open" to third party backs?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 03:27:30 pm »

Paul,

Can you shed some light on what improvements have been made to TF2? The only thing that could be improved (IMO naturally) is the speed of locking focus but other than that I could not be happier with TF version 1.

shaun

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:52 pm »

Perhaps it's just me, but I would like a built in variable ND filter through a lowering of iso?

Shaun

julienlanoo

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 03:57:59 pm »

it looks like a Zebra..

Any way i completely agree the Phase DF body is realy not a good body, light years behind..

I LOVE the phase one backs, LOVE them, but their body isn't up to their backs quality, actually every day i go to work hoping it wil not break on me...

I might go upgrade my next back to a contax mount , :p:p

gerald.d

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

Caveat:

I'm not a Hasselblad shooter.

Thoughts:

And this wouldn't make me one.

This is targeted at keeping existing customers happy. I would imagine that for anyone already shooting Hasselblad, it is a nice evolutionary step. I have only recently moved into the world of MF, but the press release kind of reads to me how I'd expect the press release coming from Phase would have read when the DF came out. I dunno, maybe that's not a great comparison (because the DF brought leaf-shutter lenses into the mix). Perhaps it's more like the improvement from AFD-II to AFD-III.

The key word here though is "evolutionary". It's a nice incremental upgrade for people already shooting Hasselblad.

There has to be more to come from the company though, surely? Firstly, wasn't the hype originally around a September 18th announcement? I can't imagine that this was it, and that they've brought it forward.

“In 2002 at photokina Hasselblad launched the revolutionary H System that changed and shaped the medium format market of the new millennium. Embraced by professional and amateur photographers around the world, it is still the unsurpassed standard for craftsmanship and ultimate image quality. In 2012, 10 years later, our commitment to innovation, evolution and expanding to new horizons is as uncompromising as it has always been in the century long history of Hasselblad.”

Is this feature list innovative? I wouldn't say so (True Focus was of course innovative. A new iteration of it isn't.)

Is it evolutionary? Clearly

Does it expand to new horizons? Absolutely not.

From a purely objective view, I can't see any way that this would increase Hasselblad's market share.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 05:15:09 pm »

What an interesting thread... and so much discussion on an eyecup. To those who have worked with the Hasselblad H system know that they can provide feedback whether it be through me, a Hasselblad Sales or Technical Rep, this information is passed onto our Product Managers who must determine what are the most commonly requested features, functional and design changes worldwide. It is these requests that find there way into the next generation camera.

I feel that Hasselblad has brought some very nice improvements to the 6th generation H5D camera.

• New compressed RAW files for faster and smoother workflow
• Even better focus correction with True Focus II
• Print-ready JPEG mode for quick preview and printing
• New Camera Configurator
• New improved grip surface
• Larger and more ergonomic buttons
• Larger, easier to read display style
• New menu and graphics design
• New programmable buttons
• New and improved weather sealing
• New, more durable eye cup
• New sensor unit safety lock
• New and faster processors for more rapid internal communication
• Support for new capture modes
• New and more accurate focus algorithms
• New motor drive algorithms

I'm an H4D-50 user.  Any chance those "New and more accurate focus algorithms" could be ported to the current H4D series, via a firmware upgrade?

I can't see that much in the above list that makes an H5D a must-have upgrade for me, but I'm open to persuasion... and I have fixed the eyecup issue with my H4D using blu tak :-)
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 05:34:18 pm »

What an interesting thread...
...and what about

putting most of the electronics in the digiback, so you have all the functionality when you use it on a view-camera?

automated DOF stacking, in camera or remote.

remote powered zoom ...you expect full remote control in a competent versatile professional camera

Decades ago pros bought Hasselblads because they knew they were buying into a professional system that would do anything they wanted it to do.

I am on my sixth Hasselblad, the H4D-60

...and will the battery option work with existing 60Mpx digibacks, as promised for years?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:46:52 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BobDavid

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:48 pm »

I'd love to find someone to trade my low mileage H2F/CF39-MS/80mm kit for an H4D-40/ 50mm II kit. Funny how the image quality hasn't changed much over the past few iterations, excepting more MPs. But really, the difference between 50MP and 39MP is academic. The multi-shot capability of the 39 still trounces a single shot 60MP camera.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »

I would prefered a full black "panther" body...

I liked the new battery. Anyone knows if its retro-compatible with the old H3D and H4D ? the total capacity incresed?
And i think that its was good to have a H5D 31MP entry level DMF for lower price (7.000Euros), not everyone need 40MP, but like to enter in the Medium Format.

The marketing for the medium format to be competitive need to be about the tecnical format of this cameras and not for "i have more pixels than the 35mm"

But i love the Hasselblad, and its good to see some news, i allready worked with the Phase P45 and its a great back but the camera base system its the same from 645AF from the 80´s....

Thanks, and i still love my H3D II 39MP and every work amazed me with the Raw files everytime!!!!
Pedro

Mr. Rib

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »

When I opened my email box today, I was somewhat excited but that's just another letdown. Digital MF world has been letting me down for quite a time, to the point that I no longer care that much what am I shooting with- and that's actually a good thing! You can concentrate on taking the photos rather than thinking 'damn, if only I had xxxxx camera this shot might have been better'. Thank you Phase One/Hassy (no sarcasm in that sentence).
By the way- if they stay with the 'incremental changes' policy for few years more, the MFDB market will be only for hi-end artists, dentists, some masochists and desperate guys (maybe Photokina will prove me wrong, who knows). It simply won't pay off to use MFDB no matter how you look at it.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 05:40:47 pm »

So Hasselblad announces a new camera and this is the first thing they have to say????

It's pretty much an announcement that they are on the defensive.

The line I put in bold is the funniest part.

I hate to break the news to Hasselblad, but I have never had a client question what camera I use, unless it has been regarding an expense in a quote.

All my clients choose me based on my pictures.

I find this to be another example of this misconception

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/karl-taylor-shooting-with-a-hasselblad?current-channel=all-channels

go to 2:00, the part where he says he does not like showing up to a shoot with the same camera as his client.
This is something that Hasselblad and other MFD cameras manufacturers repeat here and there all the time.

Actually in reality if you show up with the same camera as your client or even inferior it's a testament to your
skills.

Also if this wee an issue for me I would have quite a hard time as many of higher end clients are millionaires and have Hasselblads as well as Leicas not to
mention Ferrari's and Lamboghinis ;)

Anyway I make this point because I often hear young photographers tell me they want to get a MFD so as to have access to a higher level of clients.
It's really not the case. It has not been the case for a very long time, but especially now.

Haha what a poser this guy !! Damn it is unbelievable.

I wonder why during my last shooting, Dior agency felt in love with what I can output with my SIGMA Dp2m ... Leica S2 stayed in the car.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 06:21:05 pm »

Nice point update.

Cheers,
Bernard

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

I have to say there is nothing here that's says I should be investing thousands to upgrade. Ya a better functioning eyecup is such an improvement and well worth the numerous comments but  FFS is this the announcement Hasselblad users have been waiting for.
I am very disappointed that the pixel count hasn't been increased. Of course not everyone needs an increase but many do as do I. Im printing up to 25m at the moment! And on a single image capture please. Not a bloody 5 image MS  which is no good to me!!

Some sort of live view would be great. More for composing as focusing because it's not a CMOS sensor. Better dynamic range, better ISO range. These are the things that can really make a difference. A prettier silver camera with Bigger buttons with a better grip, better menus and an eyecup that won't fall off is not what I've been waiting for. There is nothing here that makes me go wow. Well the 24mm lens looks great but that's not the camera. When the phase one IQ's came out there was a wow element. When he D800 came out there was a wow element. Let's hope this isn't the 5D III moment for MF

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Not all is bad!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 08:42:15 pm »

:D :D
I was thinking the same thing. The good part about this, is that at the lack of real improvements in sensor count/DR or creative new designs, they are finally solving those repetitive little nuances that always get forgotten behind the noise of MORE PIXELS!
Eduardo

Let's hope this isn't the 5D III moment for MF

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »

So Hasselblad announces a new camera and this is the first thing they have to say????

It's pretty much an announcement that they are on the defensive.

The line I put in bold is the funniest part.

I hate to break the news to Hasselblad, but I have never had a client question what camera I use, unless it has been regarding an expense in a quote.

All my clients choose me based on my pictures.

I find this to be another example of this misconception

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/karl-taylor-shooting-with-a-hasselblad?current-channel=all-channels

go to 2:00, the part where he says he does not like showing up to a shoot with the same camera as his client.
This is something that Hasselblad and other MFD cameras manufacturers repeat here and there all the time.

Actually in reality if you show up with the same camera as your client or even inferior it's a testament to your
skills.

Also if this wee an issue for me I would have quite a hard time as many of higher end clients are millionaires and have Hasselblads as well as Leicas not to
mention Ferrari's and Lamboghinis ;)

Anyway I make this point because I often hear young photographers tell me they want to get a MFD so as to have access to a higher level of clients.
It's really not the case. It has not been the case for a very long time, but especially now.

I agree completely. Its been my experience as a full time professional for 34 years. I have never tried (or felt like I needed to) impress clients with my camera.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:03 am »

This is basically Hasselblad's iPhone 4"s".  Good camera. Slightly better than the last camera. But basically the same.

Not sure "H" is done announcing yet though...

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 08:40:59 am »

Ya I think or at least hope you're right. This can't be the full announcement. One thing I noticed was the description was very very brief. I have a feeling we will see some additional features. Maybe a shirpa who can replace the eyecup every time it falls off ;D

This is basically Hasselblad's iPhone 4"s".  Good camera. Slightly better than the last camera. But basically the same.

Not sure "H" is done announcing yet though...

- N.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up