Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: H5D announced  (Read 40717 times)

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
H5D announced
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:37 am »

Just got an email, thought I share.

http://www.calumetphoto.de/eng/landingpage/H5D.cfm?t=CM03&a=CM03

Cheers

Ulf

heinrichvoelkel

Re: H5D announced
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:40:21 am »

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:29:33 am »

A Hasselblad camera is not a reward for having achieved a successful career. A Hasselblad camera is the tool with which you build your successful career to begin with.
There is never any time like the present to start building for the future. And if you think 35mm is good enough for this stage of your career, then you’d better hope that your clients are also willing to settle for “good enough”. The best clients, however, are almost never willing to settle for “good enough”. And why should they, when there are photographers out there who can provide the best? And providing the best is what Hasselblad and the new H5D are all about.

So Hasselblad announces a new camera and this is the first thing they have to say????

It's pretty much an announcement that they are on the defensive.

The line I put in bold is the funniest part.

I hate to break the news to Hasselblad, but I have never had a client question what camera I use, unless it has been regarding an expense in a quote.

All my clients choose me based on my pictures.

I find this to be another example of this misconception

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/karl-taylor-shooting-with-a-hasselblad?current-channel=all-channels

go to 2:00, the part where he says he does not like showing up to a shoot with the same camera as his client.
This is something that Hasselblad and other MFD cameras manufacturers repeat here and there all the time.

Actually in reality if you show up with the same camera as your client or even inferior it's a testament to your
skills.

Also if this wee an issue for me I would have quite a hard time as many of higher end clients are millionaires and have Hasselblads as well as Leicas not to
mention Ferrari's and Lamboghinis ;)

Anyway I make this point because I often hear young photographers tell me they want to get a MFD so as to have access to a higher level of clients.
It's really not the case. It has not been the case for a very long time, but especially now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:53:30 pm by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:58 am »

Fred,
It sounds like you are on the offensive not that Hasselblad is on the defense. Why?  What's it to you anyhow?  You don't even shoot MF.   The 4D was miles ahead of Phase/Mamiya's DF body already and now it got even better. Same is true with the Hy6 and their new model 2 - the great made even greater.   Phase has been behind for 3 generations and been playing catch up.     So far Phase has not announced any thing but is expected to.  Let's see what they come up with before we pass any judgements.   I don't think its fair to compare to your DSLR - different tool for different work.   And we haven't heard about any new H backs, but they may be saving the really good stuff for later.
Rolleiflex USA

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:37:58 am »

That's great! I may upgrade my H4D-40.

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:41 am »

• New compressed RAW files for faster and smoother workflow
• Even better focus correction with True Focus II
• Print-ready JPEG mode for quick preview and printing
• New Camera Configurator
• New improved grip surface
• Larger and more ergonomic buttons
• Larger, easier to read display style
• New menu and graphics design
• New programmable buttons
• New and improved weather sealing
• New, more durable eye cup
• New sensor unit safety lock
• New and faster processors for more rapid internal communication
• Support for new capture modes
• New and more accurate focus algorithms
• New motor drive algorithms
• And more.

New more durable eye cup????? Sorry not impressed. It's still small and a rectangle. I really don't get this. What does it take to make a proper eyecup, or maybe a couple of different ones. Just look at professional motion picture cameras and see what I mean.... or the Eyecup on some pro cameras from 20 years ago.

Here is an example of a proper eyecup..

New improved grip surface.... what still no vertical grip...

If these two items are included in the short list of features... well it's rather sad.

Larger, easier to read display style
New menu and graphics design

Same small screen... just rehashed the graphics..... and aren't these two items the same thing.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 11:50:55 am »

You are not a current H user that kind of shows. Many current users have been complaining about the eye-cup (including myself). It seems this is fixed now. Several other wishes seem to be addressed too like weather sealing, jpeg output and compressed RAW (hopefully with some binning options too). Besides this an already excellent AF is improved as well according to this.

Sure not something breathtaking but all in all some improvements that many users will appreciate... something that works, works well, has been improved upon.

I just wonder what the tethering options will be....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:52:41 am by Dustbak »

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 11:53:05 am »

Fred,
It sounds like you are on the offensive not that Hasselblad is on the defense. Why?  What's it to you anyhow?  You don't even shoot MF.   

I do shoot medium format ;)

Why am I on the "offensive".... I guess you did not read my post... last sentence.....

What is it to me anyhow? ... I kind of have this sense of allegiance with my younger colleagues, ex assistants, enthusiasts ... photographers and photography.

Hasselblad on the defensive..... come on they announce a new camera and the first paragraph is all about ... the competition that is eroding their market.

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:39 am »

You are not a current H user that kind of shows. Many current users have been complaining about the eye-cup (including myself). It seems this is fixed now. Several other wishes seem to be addressed too like weather sealing, jpeg output and compressed RAW (hopefully with some binning options too). Besides this an already excellent AF is improved as well according to this.

Sure not something breathtaking but all in all some improvements that many users will appreciate... something that works, works well, has been improved upon.

I just wonder what the tethering options will be....

I have refused H rentals at pickup if the eyepiece was falling apart. I just think it is rather sad that there are no other eyepiece options for a $ 40,000 camera.

Ask a director of photography if he or she would accept this kind of rubbish from Panavision, Sony, Arri or Red.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »

The eyepiece falling apart was not really the main gripe but more the eyepiece falling off. Nothing shocking since it is easily put back but annoying to say the least and naturally really annoying when you cannot find the missing eyepiece.

Sure Sony, Arri or Red have their act much better together and silly things like this never happens to them but what has that got to do with it?

Find what you like, I think many people were overexpecting. I work everyday with my H4, really appreciate it, the improvements I see here are improvements I would certainly like in my H4D.

I just hope they have included TB/USB3.0 tethering next to FW.

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »

Fred,
The 4D was miles ahead of Phase/Mamiya's DF body

Miles ahead?

Not hard to beat a DF body, but I would not say miles ahead is a bit of an exaggeration.

FredBGG

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »

I just hope they have included TB/USB3.0 tethering next to FW.

That would have been on in the announcement......

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

Ask a director of photography if he or she would accept this kind of rubbish from Panavision, Sony, Arri or Red.

Many operators are extremely protective of the eyepiece.  Aesthetics notwithstanding, the possibility of inheriting an eye infection is the main reason.  Instantly changeable foam eyepiece covers are common.

Image quality aside, for the photographer, the viewfinder IS the camera.  In a professional tool, there's no excuse for anything but the absolute best viewfinder system.

TMARK

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:29 pm »

Image quality aside, for the photographer, the viewfinder IS the camera.  In a professional tool, there's no excuse for anything but the absolute best viewfinder system.

This is the whole deal, isn't it?  Your connection with what you are shooting is contained in that eyepiece.  The H has a pretty good finder, but yeah, why square?  I hate that in the Canons too.  Why doesn't anyone pay attention to this?  Yeah, 80 mpx is cool, but who cares if you are looking through a toilet paper tube when making a photograph. 

FredBGG

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »

Sure Sony, Arri or Red have their act much better together and silly things like this never happens to them but what has that got to do with it?

I have complained to both Hasselblad and Phase One about their eyepiece and eyecup.

Hasselblad in particular, because they used to have better options in the past.

You see the really big difference is that Sony, Panavision and Arri understand a very simple thing.... camera men peer into cameras for quite a lot of minutes a day and need to have the best viewing possible so as to concentrate on their work. Hasselblad and Phase One have their head so far up their...... that they don't get it.

I even had a third part eyecup manufacturer look into making one for either H or Phase. They said that the companies were just to un co-operative making it not worth it.

Back in the day I remember talking to Fuji about a loup finder for the 680. Not only were they genuinely concerned about listening to me, they wen't and made one just as I suggested and made it better than I expected..... and yes with a big round eyecup.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:21:16 pm by FredBGG »

FredBGG

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »

Many operators are extremely protective of the eyepiece.  Aesthetics notwithstanding, the possibility of inheriting an eye infection is the main reason.  Instantly changeable foam eyepiece covers are common.

You could not have said this better. But add to that shooting on location with the sun getting into your viewfinder with an ND filter for shallow depth of field and you have multinational hey fever.

It's sad that despite the massive investments required today both the top MFD vendors offer less than what was offered in the past when it comes to these really simple items.

Off center micro prisms:

Full line of viewfinders:

There was even one other one that I don't have a diagram for.

Great eyepiece with a large rear element making it less neccessary to be perfectly on axis and have way way better corner viewing.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:33:47 pm by FredBGG »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »

Guys,

Let's not fight about the eyepiece. Most of the tread has been about this, while there is more than this.

It is always nice to see some evolution. I would have hoped for more, but what can I say.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:23 pm »

Looks like there might be some improvements there, however the kicker for me is still the fact that the grip is the battery....and maybe they have fixed the mechanism but it never felt solid to me......now lets just see what PhaseOne has been cooking up for us.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

amsp

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »

Seems like the field just opened up for PhaseOne to knock it out of the park with something revolutionary, let's see if they are set to capitalize on it. God knows they've been working on it long enough.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »

Anyone know what improvements to the true focus have been made? 

and regarding phase ...  I'm an optimist... hoping for a completely new camera not just a 4th iteration on the flawed DF body.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up