Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 3880 and canvas sheets  (Read 4299 times)

usinare

epson 3880 and canvas sheets
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »

i was told epson 3880 printer cannot print on canvas media. is this true?

RawheaD

Re: epson 3880 and canvas sheets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »

Not true.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:42 pm »

The problem is the 3800/3880 cannot handle rolls.  Feeding canvas is difficult.  Solution is to put a paper leading edge to get he feed started.

Google "Eric chan 3800" and you should find his tutorials on the 3800, which will mostly apply to the 3880.
John

usinare

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »

thanks.

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:55 am »

I've printed canvas on a 3800 using the front feed, though there is a 16½" width limit. I feed it using two pieces of paper to sandwich the canvas as I feed. After the sandwich passes through the difficult feed area I slide the two sheets of paper out and continue to feed the canvas to the proper position for printing. Works well.
Randy Carone

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

Epson now 'officially' supports printing on the 38xx printers.  That was a LONG time coming; however.  There are profiles on the Epson site for a couple of their own canvases and they do have a tutorial on how to feed the canvas into the printer.

Using the front feed can work but you're then dealing with having to cut down 17" sheets and you can't print a 16x20 and have enough room to stretch the canvas.

It's a bit of a tedious process but it will work.  You feed the canvas into the rear slot.  The sheets won't take up on the rollers without aid from you.  Epson suggests using your finger tips to gently apply pressure to the sheet to push it into the take up rollers.  I use my knuckles rather than finger tips.  It's a far more comfortable position than turning your hands around the other way.  Probably 7 in 10 sheets will take up the first time.  Two others I'll have to try a few times and sometimes flip the sheet around to use the other edge.  That 10th sheet will be more work.  I've used painter's tape (masking tape would work too) over the leading edge of the sheet which helps prevent the leading edge from curling or rippling which will prevent take up into the rollers.  When I apply the tape, I leave about a 1/2" 'leader' which reduces the bulk and helps the sheet take up more easily.  This is similar to what jrsforums suggests.

RHPS

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

I have printed canvas on my 3800 easily using the top feeder - much more reliable than the rear feeder and less restrictive than the front feeder. Like others, I tape a piece of fairly stiff paper to the leading edge and it feeds first attempt 9 times out of 10. The longest I have printed so far is about 60" (using Helmar's wonderful UDPS). The biggest problem is getting the canvas, or big paper sheets for that matter, to feed straight. I solved this problem by adding an extra guide to the top feeder, described on another forum here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=42378722 if anyone's interested.

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »

You're using the Photo Black ink then?  Most of the canvases I've seen and used call for MK.  No issues with profiles made for MK ink printed with PK?

RHPS

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »

Not sure what you're suggesting Bob. I've used both matte and satin canvas with MK and PK respectively, always using my own profiles. Either way I feed from the top feeder.

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »

Just that the top feeder is considered to be used for glossy/lustre media and the rear feeder for matte and thicker media.  It can be overridden but a lot of people don't know that.  If you're using your own profiles then that answers the profile question.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:54:01 pm by BobFisher »

Randy Carone

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »

Bob,

I don't agree with your assessment of the feed paths. I've used both matte and gloss through all the feeders on my 3800 and they are independent of ink type. For example, I would feed HFA PR 188 through the normal sheet feeder and I use the rear feed for Epson Exhibition Fiber, which is 325gsm. Nothing to do with ink type.
Randy Carone

irvweiner

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

After trying many  suggested methods I use this technique.

1: Setup the paper size custom or 'standard'

2: Enter the Platen gap width: wide, wider...

3: Enter the paper thickness: Note each integer reps 1/10 mm or 4 mils, for a 20 mil thk canvas I use 5

4: Cut your canvas to size and place in the 'normal' rear auto slot (wear cotton gloves or use lint free cloth). Definitely brush/wipe your canvas 'clean', loose coating flakes, fibers or particulate matter will leave white 'pinholes' in your print. Many canvas media coming off a roll will exhibit a tendency to curl, especially so at the 4 corners. Flex the corners to be 'flat' preventing printhead 'rubs', mainly at the trailing corners where media is no longer held down by the rollers.

5: Gently press against the canvas, check for proper alignment along the right edge and press the 'preload' or 'eject' button (South pole of 'select' buttons)

6: When the feed cycle starts push canvas gently downwards, when the rollers grab let go. If the feed is successful the canvas will advance to the preloaded position. If not the roller noise will alert you, lift out the canvas and try again. With experience your success rate will be >80% for preloading the canvas!
A preloaded canvas will now feed and print properly >95% OTT! My experience.

7: Before pressing 'Print', recheck your print properties: media size, color/B&W, port or lndscp, etc.
During the print cycle observe the print's alignment progress, definitely for longer prints >20 in., include additional border space to allow for follow-up trimming.
The rotary cutter, Rotatrim (not inexpensive), is excellent for cutting sheets or slivers of canvas, don't even think of using a guillotine cutter on a finished print--a box cutter with a fresh blade is infinitely better.

8: When your print exits hang it vertically (regardless of size), placing the print on a flat surface creates an instant 'electrostatic' dirt magnet.

Everything I described above was gleaned from the generous members postings on this site and Naturescapes. Ditto for sealing and framing of your new canvas prints-your next set of tasks.

I hope you now feel encouraged to follow thru--B&W on canvas is awesome!!
irv weiner

RHPS

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:31 pm »

As far as I'm concerned the top feeder is the one to use all the time. On my 3800 it feeds 80gsm copier paper, 320gsm Harman Gloss Baryta, Lyve canvas, you name it. The only time I've needed to use anything else is for 1,4mm board, when the front feeder is the only choice.

hugowolf

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

When you say 'top feeder', are you refering to the rear top feeder or the sheet top feeder?

Brian A

RHPS

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:14 am »

When you say 'top feeder', are you refering to the rear top feeder or the sheet top feeder?
The top sheet feeder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up