Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to buy a second hand IQ 180 / 160?  (Read 3878 times)

Jim2

• http://
Where to buy a second hand IQ 180 / 160?
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:48 am »

Where can one purchase a second hand IQ180 (in order to save some money - if "saving" is ever the correct term for it?) ?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Where to buy a second hand IQ 180 / 160?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:11:38 am »

I'd check with a Phase One dealer, such as Capture Integration in Atlanta.   www.captureintegration.com

ken

buckshot

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:07 am »

In the first instance definitely go down the dealer route. If you're in the UK, look at dtek, they usually have a low count 180 for about US $28k (without the VA warranty), so that's the ball-park you should be looking at. Private sales should run to 80% of this i.e. US $23k or thereabouts, but rarely do - I've seen a few used 180s for sale privately (recently) for $30k+ (even $40k+) which, in this post-D800 era is just ridiculous. Unsurprisingly, none of them sold.

It is a buyers market, so that's definitlry to your advantage. I was chewing the fat with a local dealer a month of so ago and he said that, whilst the launch of the IQ backs was the busiest time he'd experienced selling MFDBs, the past couple of months has been the slowest - he'd had more enquiries from people looking to consign their DB than buy a new one. (OT: I wondered if lower than expected sales might be one reason why Leaf had decided to embrace the Hy6 platform, after initially indicating it wouldn't be supported...who knows).

Anyway, good luck ... and if you get a great deal post about it here, so that the rest of the LuLa community can be informed.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 01:24:13 pm »

Where can one purchase a second hand IQ180 (in order to save some money - if "saving" is ever the correct term for it?) ?

Before you get too far down the garden path you might (if you have not already) back up and make sure you're buying the best back for your needs.

IQ180 is king of the hill and is a fantastic back. But if, for instance, you shoot people and shooting speed is important an IQ160 or Credo 60 might be a better option. If you plan on shooting very long exposures a P45+ might be a better option. If you shoot in the studio an Aptus II12 or 12R (same sensor, nearly identical image quality, very different interface/chassis) might be just a good a back but at a much lower price.

A good dealer is a place where your purchase is just the beginning of a relationship. Most of our customers are in frequent touch for software questions, hardware questions, training, repairs or cleaning, lens/accessory testing, rentals (for backup, evaluation, or for a lens that they simply wouldn't use often enough to justify buying), and general advice. A good dealer with an established reputation also eliminates fraud, missing accessories, misstated conditions, etc that can arrise from buying from someone for whom a digital back sale is a one-time endeavor rather than the activity they have invested their life's work in. As just one example, a well intentioned buyer who uses an SLR may never have used the multiport on their digital back. If it is malfunctioning and the back is out of warranty then the cost of repair is $3000 (and even if in-warranty it means a trip to Denmark and back). This is rare; these backs are very solidly built. But it can happen.

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »

Great deals out there.

Here is one:

The IQ180 (M-Mount) is once again available for sale!

Mint condition and the shot count is still 508. 4 years on Warranty.

New Price...$29,500 net to me!

I have bought from this gentlemen before. Perfect transaction. Gear was just as described.
He has good feedback from other buyers too.

Here is the link to his posting.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/34308-fs-phase-one-iq180-df-body-55ls-110ls-150ls-v-grip-more.html

He is asking $ 29,500. Back has a frame count of 508 with 4 year warranty.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:42:57 pm by FredBGG »

ddanois

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »

Many thanks for the kind reference.

The IQ180 is still available if interested!

rjkern

• I go where my camera brings me.
    • kern-photo.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »

I second working with Capture Integration.

I created a short video that might help you out and share a few things to consider when choosing a digital medium format dealer:

http://www.kern-photo.com/index.php/2012/08/where-to-buy-photo-gear

Hope this helps!
R. J. Kern
http://www.kern-photo.com - my blogsite and portfolio

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »

If you really want to save money, I have a Leaf Aptus II 12 for sale, with the same sensor as the IQ180, still under warranty.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »

Considering the rumors of Pentax 645D2 annoucements at Kina, I would personally wait a few weeks before buying a back at current prices.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up