Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310  (Read 3154 times)

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
Help with Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310
« on: September 01, 2012, 09:02:55 am »

Hi all,
For the last four years I print fine art photos on Hahnemuhle Fine art Baryta and Photorag Baryta papers. Lately, I noticed a slight change in the texture of these papers and I have some technical problems when i print. Since i have a very important job to do in a very short period, that means I don't have time to purchase papers from abroad and make tests, I would like, if some of you have worked with those two Hahnemuhle papers and Canson Baryta Photographique and Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310, please, to inform me for some details:

1.  Have you noticed any imperfections-inpurities inside the emulsion of those Canson papers?
2  Do the two Canson papers have the same texture on the surface?
3.  Do they appear any mechanical issues in printing (curling, scratches etc)?
4.  Do they present quality consistency from roll to roll?
5.  Do the sheets remain flat consistently?
I print on an Epson 9900 printer with Epson inks.

Greetings from Athens, Greece.

George
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:01:39 am by Idololab »
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

howardm

Re: Help with Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »

I use mostly the Canson Baryta Photo. paper in sheets and it has been remarkably flat, uncurly and defect-free in every case.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »

George,

Platine is my main glossy paper, and I have used Canson Baryta Photographique as well.  Platine's surface is lightly stippled and less shiny than the Photographique.  It is also more robust and less prone to scratching.  I print from sheets only, and in some boxes, the corners are slightly curled, which should not concern you, if you are going to use rolls.  Post-printing, the sheets lie very flat.  Platine is made from cotton rag and feels very good in the hand.  It is said to have a narrower color gamut than CBP, but I have not been able to appreciate a significant difference.  Finally, Platine does not contain OBAs, while CBP does (at a low level).

Here is another thread that is very relevant to your questions:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67975.0

The best advice I can give is for you to obtain sample sheets of whatever papers you are considering and perform head to head tests.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:18:51 pm by robgo2 »

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »

Hi all,
For the last four years I print fine art photos on Hahnemuhle Fine art Baryta and Photorag Baryta papers. Lately, I noticed a slight change in the texture of these papers and I have some technical problems when i print. Since i have a very important job to do in a very short period, that means I don't have time to purchase papers from abroad and make tests, I would like, if some of you have worked with those two Hahnemuhle papers and Canson Baryta Photographique and Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag 310, please, to inform me for some details:

1.  Have you noticed any imperfections-inpurities inside the emulsion of those Canson papers?
2  Do the two Canson papers have the same texture on the surface?
3.  Do they appear any mechanical issues in printing (curling, scratches etc)?
4.  Do they present quality consistency from roll to roll?
5.  Do the sheets remain flat consistently?
I print on an Epson 9900 printer with Epson inks.

Greetings from Athens, Greece.

George

1. I've never had problem with Canson papers' emulsion but I had seen some imperfect paper base such as a gray dot (pulp) appear on the paper.
2. Canson Platine Fiber Rag is more textureized than the Photographique.
3. Not to me, I use roll and sheet.
4. They are quite Constance.
5. Never had a problem with my Epson 7880 and Canon 8300.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

Thanks to all for the help.
Rob , I have not the time to make preliminary tests because the job is urgent . I have read carefully the thread and it was very helpful
aaronchan ,do you now if Canson platine is more textured than Photorag baryta Hahnemuehle
Anybody nows an online shop in Europe (England perhaps) with stock of this paper.
Thanks again !
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

robgo2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:45:44 am »

Thanks to all for the help.
Rob , I have not the time to make preliminary tests because the job is urgent . I have read carefully the thread and it was very helpful
aaronchan ,do you now if Canson platine is more textured than Photorag baryta Hahnemuehle
Anybody nows an online shop in Europe (England perhaps) with stock of this paper.
Thanks again !

George,

If you are really in a tight spot, then I have no reservations about recommending Platine.  It can deliver superb prints, both B&W and color.  If the surface is not to your liking, then consider it a learning experience, and use something else next time.  Personally, I like a bit of texture.  With any paper that you are using for the first time, perhaps the biggest challenge will be getting good profiles for your printer.  If you make your own profiles, then it will not be an issue.  If not, then you will have to rely on the manufacturer's profiles, which may or may not work for you.

Rob

CMAC

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:10 am »

Hi - Just seen this link - just to be open and clear I am the World Wide Business Manager for Canson Infinity - if you wish for samples I will arrange to have some sent

We do have master distributors of this product throughout Europe if you wish to be directed accordingly

Good luck Chris

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:43 pm »

Hi - Just seen this link - just to be open and clear I am the World Wide Business Manager for Canson Infinity - if you wish for samples I will arrange to have some sent

We do have master distributors of this product throughout Europe if you wish to be directed accordingly

Good luck Chris

The Netherlands - Les Pays Bas  are however still Terra Incognita for Canson it seems. At least for the inkjet products, the rest is covered by Talens.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update july 2012: Moab changes, paper sorting by name

robgo2

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:57:24 pm »

Good luck Chris

Chris,

Canson needs to do a better job of packaging their papers.  I have received several boxes of Platine in which the corners of the sheets were bent.

Rob

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »

Chris,
Canson needs to do a better job of packaging their papers.  I have received several boxes of Platine in which the corners of the sheets were bent.
Rob
It is a problem with sheets. It isn’t just Canson-Infinity, I have had boxes of 24 x 36 inch sheets from Hahnemühle and 17 x 25 inches from Harman with the same problem – every sheet in the box with one corner dunched in.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up