Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 Lk/Llk banding with clean but strange nozzle pattern  (Read 20553 times)

jack777

We've been happy with our 9900 for quite some time but recently printer started to do some pretty nasty banding. When I first saw it I thought "no big deal - NC -> cleaning and all will be fine". Well to my surprise the nozzle check was clean. Out of routine I did some cleaning, test printing, power cleaning, more printing. After that I updated firmware, tried other papers and still nothing. The banding is clearly visible in Lk and Llk, slight banding is also visible in Vlm, O and G channels but they may be because of them blacks. Funny though pure black looks good. I'm running out of reasonable ideas...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:57:01 am by jack777 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Epson 9900 Lk/Llk banding with clean nozzle check
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:10 am »

With a good nozzle check, have you tried a head alignment?  On the 9900 it's pretty straight forward and run from the LCD on the printer.

I have a slight banding in black before that was cured by a head alignment (when I had a good nozzle check).

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:55 pm »

I would second the head alignment. It doesn't take long and uses very little ink. Do unidirectional and a bi-directional (all) auto alignment routines, either from the printer LCD or through the utility software.

Brian A

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »

I agree to try the head alignment first.

I doubt it's this, but I'll mention it anyway.  High speed printing is on by default - try printing with it off.  High speed makes the head print when it is travelling in either direction (bidirectional), and high speed off makes the head print not print when it's moving toward the right.  I've seen bidirectional printing cause banding in much darker black areas.  Again, doubt it's this because I haven't seen it happen in lighter black areas, and you said pure black doesn't do it, but it might be another thing worth trying.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

jack777

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:36 am »

I've tried head alignment but it doesn't help. Neither auto nor manual adjusting helps. Right now I'm assuming it's a head slant since the pattern seems to be slightly off. Will try adjusting it tomorrow.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:07:30 am »

Near empty cartridge replaced with a full one?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

jack777

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:02:55 am »

Lk and Llk cartridges are more than half full. The banding varies depending on resolution (bigger on 720, smaller on 2880). However in 1440 and 2880 I've noticed a bigger band on the beginnign of the print. I'm posting two more pictures of it. I've pushed the contrast to make it more visible.

The print on the picture is 2880 dpi uni.

fetish

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:31:38 am »

that looks like a nozzle clog but your nozzle check says otherwise.
the only other reason I can think of is that your paper feed speed is screwed. try to decrease your paper feed speed/amount via paper config in the printer driver dialogue and see what happens.

jack777

Re: Epson 9900 Lk/Llk banding with strange nozzle pattern
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:44 am »

Today I've noticed something very strange about nozzle patterns. I don't know how I missed it before... looked through my junk and it was there before. Let the scan speak for itself but I'm very worried about the head...

Now I'm certain it's not a clog, feed or ink supply issue, but what can it be?

TylerB

• my photography
Re: Epson 9900 Lk/Llk banding with clean but strange nozzle pattern
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 06:10:28 pm »

there have been some threads on this in the past. I had my fair share of problems for sure..
First question, are you using a RIP?
The problem turned out to be platen gap settings for me, and lack of RIP access to custom media alignments that are available in the OEM driver.
IF you are using the Epson driver I would recommend going into the custom media settings and doing a custom K alignment available there in the driver settings. These are separate from the alignments you perform at the printer, and are media setting specific.. and specific to the other settings in the same media selectio.. thickness, platen, resolution, etc... and make one for each paper.

If you are using a RIP, not sure what to say.. Depends on the RIP and the access it gives you to to printer control with each environment.
With my setup here, any setting other than default platen gap created this problem. Had me stumped from the beginning since I set it to wide immediately due to head strikes with most media.
Tyler

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:10:30 pm »

my initial problems with this are solved including head strikes, I was attempting to point the OP to what has been the source of the problem for some of us- the platen setting and potential loss of alignment when it is changed.

Additionally, if a custom media setting is made, after selecting whatever gap setting is relevant for the media, do an alignment within that custom media setting.. you print the thickness pattern and align.. you may notice it's the black channel .. relevant?
All on page 83 of the manual, it's worth a try.
Tyler

jack777

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:54 am »

Unfortunately - no luck so far. To keep the story short:

- I don't use RIP, we print from the epson driver
- I haven't used custom paper settings, for non-epson media we find closest match and use it.
- the deflected nozzle pattern looks the same on thin and thick papers (pk/mk)

- changing feed or platen gap doesn't help the deflections but ruins other channels so I doubt they are the cause
- I've cleaned the wiper blade and capping station fairly recently (about 3 months back, they looked pretty good but nevertheless cleaned them again)
- So far I've tried all kinds of cleaning - power cleaning, paired power cleaning and today SS cleaning. Between every cleaning session I make a print using all colors
- nothing seems to even slightly change the deflected nozzles pattern

From what you've written I can still try: initial filling, checking the encoder strip, adjusting single channel in custom paper (but since I haven't used them I wonder if it makes sense). I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

I jumped in with my own experience before carefully reading the whole thread, I don't think my info relates to your problem so would ignore my suggestions. An unit fill will cost ink and I'm not convinced it will solve anything the aggressive cleanings don't. I could be wrong. Your nozzle pattern anomaly points the finger, just not sure at what... Encoder strip may be related... Are you out of warranty?
Tyler

jack777

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:35 am »

yes, I'm out of warranty so I'm on my own. I had little hope for unit fill but tried it anyway - no luck. Also tried contacting epson but their answer is "try power/ss cleaning if it doesn't help call service"... Like you say - I think my best chance now is the encoder strip but if it doesn't help I'm pretty much out of ideas.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:38:10 am »

Present your issue here as well-
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/

There is some expertise there not on this list...

Hope you find a solution.
Tyler

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:01 pm »

There is a relationship between the platen distance and the media during a print cycle, which produces a phenomenon with static electricity.  The closer the printhead to the media (narrow gap) results in ink actually being pulled out of the micro peizo nozzles.  The wider the gap results in less of this static pull from the media.  This can be useful in diagnosing some challenges with the ink delivery system or the print head.

Is there still a conducting brush in the paper path to take off surface polarity on the paper before the printing area is reached?  I  recall that of my old Epson models. Is it possible that a brush like does not function anymore due to wear or too much paper lint?

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

360+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
september 2012: Photokina updates going on for at least a month

jack777

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:47 am »

I'll try the procedure you described in a free day. However I'm still going to prepare myself and check my options with head replacement.

bestfred

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:15 am »

Hi Jack,
Have you successfully repair your Print head?
I got a problem now that i need to resolve. please help... :(

Garnick

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 09:12:32 am »

Of course the fact that we all share your pain is of little solace, but a fact nevertheless.  At some point we've all been there and try to be of some help if possible.  My suggestion is based on the fact that you mention the banding in 1440 & 2880 is larger at the beginning of the print.  Have you checked the paper transport system, which consists of numerous rollers.  Make sure they are clean and free from any sort of material that might cause the paper to slip slightly during printing.  With the pressure rollers in the open position you'll have total access to them and can inspect/clean as necessary.  If the paper is indeed slipping on these rollers that could definitely cause this sort of banding, but not necessarily show on a nozzle check pattern.  Again, another shot in the dark, but something you can check quite easily.  At the least, one more thing to check off your list of possibilities.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

jferrari

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 09:54:53 am »

@ bestfred - First of all, welcome to LuLa. Next, this is an old thread and Jack has not been here for over a year and a half. Next, this thread is about a 9900 and you have a 9700 - a different beast altogether. And finally, Your NC is crap. Perform head, wiper and flushing box cleaning until you get a good NC then perform a head alignment.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up