Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening for Chromira Prolab  (Read 4272 times)

marvpelkey

Sharpening for Chromira Prolab
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:46:31 pm »

Hello,

Tried searching the archives but was unsuccessful.

I have the opportunity to have a couple images printed on a Chromira Digital Printing System. I have absolutely no experience with this machine. The printer has provided brief instruction on preparing the files (currently 16 bit TIFFs) but restrict that info to changing into JPEGs at 300 ppi ( it appears the files must be prepared prior to arrival). I will be travelling and the printing will take place during the last day of a seminar I will be attending. I will not be taking any image-editing software with me, specifically Photokit Sharpener which I currently use for printing to inkjet, and am unsure whether Photokit can sharpen properly for Chromira and if so, what settings are appropriate. The files are from a D3X and will likely be printed upwards of 20-4 X 30-6 or more, depending on the quality loss related to resizing. Can someone advise whether Photokit can be used for sharpening a file for a Chromira and, if so, what settings to use and/or any other advice I may require.

Thanks,

Marv

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Sharpening for Chromira Prolab
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

Silver Halide printing from any machine (Chromira, Noritsu, Durst, etc) is notoriously soft relative to inkjet so you'll want to do your sharpening tests with what might seem surprisingly aggressive sharpening. Lightroom's "High, Glossy" setting, for example, is typically way to strong on inkjet but surprisingly gentle on silver halide processes. Of course your image content and personal preference are big factors so you'll want to do some testing and see it for yourself. Nonetheless, shoot for aggressive sharpening and expect subtle results, relative to inkjet.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

marvpelkey

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:34 pm »

Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping I could sharpen (with Photokit) prior to leaving home so everything would be ready to print as I am not sure what sharpening software they have nor do I know whether i will get multiple opportunities to test different settings. They are a Community Photo Centre so I'm hoping should have something set up for sharpening images for printing. The printing is a bit of a bonus for a seminar not specifically photo printing related and all printing is free so thought I would give it a try.

The other question, which I neglected to ask in my initial post, is whether the sharpening should be done prior to converting to JPEG or after conversion?? As an aside, I'm surprised JPEGs are required rather than a TIFF.

Marv

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:53:47 pm »

... I'm surprised JPEGs are required rather than a TIFF.

As final products, there is no practical difference between a jpeg at 100% (i.e., maximum quality) and a tiff.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:20:08 am »

As final products, there is no practical difference between a jpeg at 100% (i.e., maximum quality) and a tiff.
yes, and the bandwidth to send tiffs is far greater.  From a Chromira printer, you probably won't see any visible difference in 95% of all files even between a jpeg 9 and jpeg 12 ... only those with real subtle transitions or other types of areas might show a little bit of jpeg artifacts.

As far as sharpness, many labs using printers of this type have default sharpening as part of the workflow, since most of those submitting work have no clue what output sharpening is. You may want to check with the lab.  As scott mentioned, it usually takes a little more sharpening than inkjet, so it might look a little bit crunchy on the screen at 100%.  I always thought NIk had some presets for this but haven't used it for years.  This printer is basically the same as a Noritsu, a Lightjet, or a Durst Lambda or Theta.

Some photographers like the prints without the extra sharpening, guess it makes them look a little more like those printed from negatives (which really weren't usually amazingly crisp). There are many big names in landscape still use printers of this type and silver halide printing ... Peter Lik, Rodney Lough, Tom Magelson (although he's started using a lot of canvas) to name a few.

The D3x files should look just fine at those sizes ... Weve printed quite a few from a D3x and Canon 5d Mark2 on our Chromira as well as an Imetto laser based photo printer (chinese copy of a Durst lambda) on metallic paper ... no problem with those sizes. (unless the file wasn't very good).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:35:12 am »

I will not be taking any image-editing software with me, specifically Photokit Sharpener which I currently use for printing to inkjet, and am unsure whether Photokit can sharpen properly for Chromira and if so, what settings are appropriate.

You’re set! Use Contone.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

marvpelkey

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I had to depart on this trip a bit earlier than expected and, as a result, I could not do anything related to sharpening, prior to leaving. However, hopefully they should have a photoshop (or whichever they use) program and recommended settings that I can apply prior to printing.

Marv
Pages: [1]   Go Up