Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning 5DIII Sensor  (Read 3535 times)

walter.sk

Cleaning 5DIII Sensor
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »

About to leave on a 3 week trip to a really dusty place.  I was going to pack the sensor-cleaning kit I've used for 8 years with my 1D MkII, but I'm taking a new 5D MkIII as well.  I don't know if the same cleaning tools would be bad for the 5D MkIII.

I use a cut-down rubber spatula wrapped in a Pec Pad, moistened with Eclipse fluid.  It has done a great job with the 1D MkIII, but I don't know if the AA filter on the 5D MkIII is as durable, and if the gizmo that jiggles the sensor, or other sensor parts are easier to damage.

What do people do with the 5DIII when it accumulates some junk that doesn't fall off by itself when the camera is turned on or off?

marcmccalmont

Re: Cleaning 5DIII Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »

Don't have a 5DIII but on my 5D, 5DII, D800E, K5 I've found Eclipse to be the best, no problems with stabilized sensors or sensors with dust removal.
I also prefer sensor swabs to wrapping a spatula with a peck pad, because it is more convenient.
I still wrap the spatula for my digital back. So my recommendation is a Rocket blower, Eclipse and sensor swabs.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

stever

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:32 pm »

Agree with Marc, no difference externally - 5D, II, III all have same size full frame sensors

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:13 am »

About to leave on a 3 week trip to a really dusty place.  I was going to pack the sensor-cleaning kit I've used for 8 years with my 1D MkII, but I'm taking a new 5D MkIII as well.  I don't know if the same cleaning tools would be bad for the 5D MkIII.

I use a cut-down rubber spatula wrapped in a Pec Pad, moistened with Eclipse fluid.  It has done a great job with the 1D MkIII, but I don't know if the AA filter on the 5D MkIII is as durable, and if the gizmo that jiggles the sensor, or other sensor parts are easier to damage.

Hi Walter,

Yes, it is more sensitive, but more importantly the size of the IR filter is much larger than the 1D2. I don't know if it has the same thickness as in the 1Ds3, but that filter has been reported broken by several users (including a very experienced and careful friend of mine) because they applied a little bit too much pressure with their spatula.

What do people do with the 5DIII when it accumulates some junk that doesn't fall off by itself when the camera is turned on or off?

My workflow would be to first start with the least invasive method, a Rocket blower with (clean) air, followed by a sensor brush if needed. That will apply the minimum pressure, and should have a low risk of scratching. It also doesn't require chemicals, so it's safe to travel with. If that is not sufficient I'd use either a PecPad/spatula with a single drop of eclipse on both sides especially if there is oily residue involved.

Otherwise, I have excellent results with a LensPen/SensorPen, which also doesn't need chemicals. The LensPen gives me the cleanest results of all methods, and it seems like dust doesn't cling to the IR filter as readily anymore as it did before the treatment. Apparently it cleans extremely well, but do remove some of the excess graphite before (tapping it on a PecPad) and after use (sensor brush). But do not apply too much pressure, since it has a relatively small surface (which does allow it to reach the corners).

And as always, don't overdo it. Checking at f/22 is fine, but most dust will not be noticeable even at f/11 .

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:58 am »

Thanks, Bart, Stever and Marc.  After reading Bart's reply I think I will look into lens pen/sensor pen.  Sounds like a safer way to get the job done, and leave the spatula/eclipse combo for really resistant stuff.  I have been known as the proverbial bull in a china shop.

With my 1DII, I tried one of the expensive sensor brushes and found that lubrication in the shutter box was too easy to contaminate the brush, leaving horrible smears on the sensor.  I never went back to doing it again.

stever

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:59 pm »

i've found the sensor brushes to be ineffective - no better if as good as the built-in ultrasonics

my other experience is that's it's a good idea to do a thorough cleaning with Eclipse after the first couple thousand exposures to get rid of the residual excess lubricant from manufacturing that will really stick dust to the sensor if left for a long period of time
Pages: [1]   Go Up