Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS-M mirrorless: all major players are now on the field  (Read 15572 times)

BJL

Pardon me for jumping the gun slightly, but it is almost certain that Canon will announce on Monday its mirrorless camera system, "EOS-M" with "EF-M" lenses, in the same 22x15mm (a.k.a. "1.6x", "APS-C") format as its mainstream DSLRs and with an 18-55mm standard zoom and a 22mm f/2 wide prime. Persuasive images and details at sites like
http://www.canonwatch.com/
http://www.canonrumors.com/
I would expect it to have in-sensor PDAF, like the Canon 650D/T4i has.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canon EOS-M mirrorless: all major players are now on the field
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »

This just shows how the mighty have fallen. A me-too model without a viewfinder!?

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »

Why on Earth should Canon not be in this game, Slobodan? Do you actually object to them making some money?

Don't know if you noticed, but - just like Nikon and others - Canon makes cameras where you see through the lens and the lens comes off, too...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:04:35 pm by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »

No articulated screen, I'm out. No finder, I'm out. No built-in flash, Im out.
Did I say I'm out?
Eduardo

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 03:38:56 pm »

Why on Earth should Canon not be in this game, Slobodan? Do you actually object to them making some money?

Don't know if you noticed, but - just like Nikon and others - Canon makes cameras where you see through the lens and the lens comes off, too...

Really? I mean really? Term apologist comes to mind, not for the first time.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:50:29 pm »

What was that about!?

I never said, nor implied any of the above.

What I am objecting is the loss of the leadership position ("how the mighty have fallen" part). What I am objecting is a long string of yawn-inducing models coming from Canon, ever since the 5D Mark II. I do not remember when was the last time I was EXCITED about a Canon model (and I am a Canon user since the 70s). It is just a long string of me-too (belatedly), gradual improvements (again belatedly). Compare that with the long history of ground-breaking cameras and features (e.g., and not all-inclusive list): AE1, eye-focusing, D30, 5D, G10, etc.

aizan

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »

if this thing has PDAF on the sensor that can track objects and focus quickly in low light, there is at least something to get excited about.

also, i'm happy that the pancake is 35mm-e f/2 and that the sensor is aps-c.

as for video, i wonder how smoothly it can pull focus. the touch screen functionality is key.

dreed

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »

So does anyone want to try and predict the inevitable story that Michael will write?
Cons:
- lack of EVF
Pros:
- ASP-C
Commentary
- "about time Canon arrived at the party"/"Canon is too late"/....

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »

no full frame? I'm out

scooby70

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »

The rumour sites (don't laugh, they have a good record of eventually filtering the information they receive and getting things right) did say that the first Canon CSC wouldn't be a top end model. So they got that right. They also say that other and more upmarket models will/may follow depending upon market reception.

As brand sells I expect this new Canon to sell, the only question is in what numbers and will those numbers prompt Canon to follow through with the more upmarket models currently hinted as being possible. Time will tell.

I own a Panasonic CSC but they seem to be asleep so I welcome Canon's entry into the market.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:47:44 pm »

Certainly a camera able to take very competent images.

Now, I have a hard time understanding what it offers that the Nex7 hasn't been doing for a year though, probably with a sensor that is still a bit behind.

It seems like a defensive move aimed at providing EOS users with a more compact way to use their lenses? The leaked info doesn't convey the message that Canon is trying to win marketshare... Only that they are trying to slow down the migration from their existing customet base.

The difference btwn leaders and followers?

Cheers,
Bernard

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:29 pm »

Great camera!  If it were 2010.

michael

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

It'll sell well simply because it's got the Canon name on it. In the consumer product market often all that's needed is for a major player - simply to show up.

But while competitors such as Sony's NEX 7 and Olympus' OM-5D offer wide-ranging features, great image quality and sophisticated user controls, what We know of the Canon M so far is singularly uninspiring for the enthusiast market.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:33:31 pm by michael »

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:37 pm »

Really? I mean really? Term apologist comes to mind, not for the first time.

Well I'm not so arrogant or full of my own self-importance that I expect Canon to build me my own perfect camera, Ben - but I'm no brand apologist: just ask me what I think about Canon's implementation of Auto ISO. And I actually jumped brand from Nikon to Canon after the Nikon D200, so I simply don't do "fanboy". You like bandying about the word "apologist" though, don't you?

So - aside from snide for snide's sake - what's your point, exactly? Do you have a point? Because there's a fundamental lack of "point" in your valued contribution...

I make no apology for liking my current Canon kit - it does what I need it to do, and you have to be a particular kind of tool not to be happy in that situation. Are you seriously telling me that I'm supposed to get on board with the pathologically dissatisfied complainers just to keep in with The Cool Kids?

I'm just not inclined to let trivial shortfalls get in the way of me getting what I want out of my gear: others would rather whine than work around pissy little problems, but I'm not like that, and frankly, mine is an attitude others could learn from...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:57:10 pm by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 10:32:43 pm »

... mine is an attitude others could learn from...

Like... modesty?

michael

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 10:48:59 pm »

OK, cool it. This is not going anywhere pretty.

Michael

K.C.

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:03 am »

In the consumer product market often all that's needed is for a major player - simply to show up.

....what We know of the Canon M so far is singularly uninspiring for the enthusiast market.

So then it makes complete sense to introduce the camera, make a profit and serve the larger market, the general consumer.

dreed

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 02:27:13 am »

But while competitors such as Sony's NEX 7 and Olympus' OM-5D offer wide-ranging features, great image quality and sophisticated user controls, what We know of the Canon M so far is singularly uninspiring for the enthusiast market.

Yes. it becomes increasingly clear what Canon's goals are - do enough to stay on top (or thereabouts.)

Whilst they may be a leader in terms of market dominance, they're definitely not playing the role of technology leader.

That said, the camera that is showing up on websites over the weekend is said to not be considered by Canon to be in the same market segment a the NEX-7/OM-5D. Perhaps the NEX-5?

Pingang

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

I think Canon shows they are responsive to the market needs but not to do the system as a stand-along offer, it is more or less to take care the EOS/EF users so the camera can be a holiday-back up. I think it will work to a point and a higher model packed with more features to follow.  SONY NEX-7 is still the most useful system at the moment and would be great if more E lenses are available but we don't know 2 years from now, may be different.  I continue to fancy the Sigma, which started all these small P&S camera size with large sensor, can do something with interchangeable lens, I am getting my DP2 Merrill in 3 days, hope it would be a great camera.

Pingang

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 04:15:54 am »

I think it is a predictable move from Canon. Let´s not forget the G1X, which also has a zoom, plus the nice articulated screen. The EOS-M is a small camera that takes EF lenses. It is nice to see that they are releasing it with a 35-e mm lens, and f/2, that is nice.

I already have a G1X, so I am served in the compact camera side. I am actually much more excited about the 22mm lens, this will be an ideal lens for travelling light, say, with a small DSLR.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up