Poll

How do you finish/protect your paper based inkjet prints?

Traditional framing
- 19 (57.6%)
Plexi-face mounting
- 2 (6.1%)
Commericial laminates
- 3 (9.1%)
Spray coating aerosol can
- 3 (9.1%)
Spray coating pro sprayer
- 3 (9.1%)
other?
- 3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protecting paper based inkjet prints while on display.  (Read 1959 times)

Ken Allen

Protecting paper based inkjet prints while on display.
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:35 pm »

I'm printing with Canon and Epson printers making fine art paper exhibit prints for others. A common question I get is how people protect their displayed prints. I recommend framing with glazing, but that is often out of the budget.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Protecting paper based inkjet prints while on display.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:16:31 pm »

I have done more than 1 show with unprotected prints - they are matted and framed traditionally but no glazing or spraying. They look great, they are lower cost and light weight, no broken glass or scratched acrylic, and I offer glazing when someone buys a print. I've never had damage, but I realized - it's just a print, I can make another for a few bucks.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »

At their latest trade fair booth Epson displays examples of all their media in contemporary framing, but minus the glazing.  I saw quite a few fingerprints and scrapes on those prints, but maybe that's because it was a trade fair.  But what a great thing to see all those mediae side by side with optimal prints!

The frames around such prints are a potential problem, since they invite being sprayed and wiped with rags containing household cleanser.  That stuff just eats inkjet prints.  In some ways prints flush mounted on Dibond or such might be a better bet for unprotected prints, since those don't offer anything except the print to clean.

Personally, I don't need more headaches than I already have and since my coated canvases have presented almost zero customer damage issues, I'm sticking with that.  Canvas is a good candidate for coating-only because as a fabric it's thick enough and soft to offer some give in the event of a scrape or impact.  Paper prints are harder objects and most impact energy will revolve as scrapes and abrasions.

Ken Allen

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »

@Chris
It is NOT easy to apply the coatings you recommended in a high quality production environment unless you have a spray booth, professional spray equipment, and a consistent supply of prints to spray. Part of the reason of the pole is that I am looking into setting up a spray booth and using Clearshield, and lacquer from Lascoux. It seems that still a minority of the people do go through the trouble to spray.

This would be easy if one has a spray booth or least the space for one. 

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »

Ken,

You can do this without a spray booth.  If you are worried about the spray option in small spaces, you can always use the roll on (liquid laminate).  This way, you don't have to worry about the spray going everywhere as roll on will have a smell, but it won't spread.

We have done this in our warehouse many times and it works fairly well.  We have even done it outside of our warehouse when doing demos.  Not saying that this is guaranteed, but I know it's possible is all I'm stating.

If you're using a system, I understand what your saying though.

Ken Allen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:07:41 pm »

@chris
You can not apply your products with a roller on paper prints with quality results. I recommend that you try this to see for yourself. We have done lots of testing, and spraying appears to be the only way to apply Clearshield or Lascaux lacquer to an Epson or Canon aqueous print on paper.
The roll method does work well with the poly-canvas materials.

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »

@chris
You can not apply your products with a roller on paper prints with quality results. I recommend that you try this to see for yourself. We have done lots of testing, and spraying appears to be the only way to apply Clearshield or Lascaux lacquer to an Epson or Canon aqueous print on paper.
The roll method does work well with the poly-canvas materials.

I have had excellent  results  with BC's Timeless Matte lacquer  rolled on matte paper and water color papers. I would not try it on gloss papers though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up