Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokit Sharpener 2 workflow.........  (Read 3239 times)

Onslow

Photokit Sharpener 2 workflow.........
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:48 pm »

Morning all,

I've just purchased PKS 2. I'm running CS5 Win7 64 bit. I've read the pdf that comes with it, now I'm trying to answer some questions that pop up.

My situation first.

I work part time as a sport / social photographer for the local newspaper. In this environment critical sharpening is not much of a concern at all. If an image is there, the software they run performs sharpening for the presses. I only assess my images for focus and a few other things, reject whichever and send the rest on. I don't see PKS2 affecting this side.

However, for my personal work of portraiture and landscapes it seems a bit different.

My current workflow is

1)     To import using the Bridge downloader.
2)     Convert my X-rite passport images to dngs and make the relevant profiles.
3)     Open the images in ACR and apply the relevant profile and lens correction to all images.
4)     I'll sort the exposure, contrast etc.
5)     I'll perform a noise reduction on the images and then perform a light capture sharpening last before opening the images in CS5.

My understanding of my new workflow is that the default ACR sharpening should be turned off.

Thus, my new workflow is the same as before except that after I perform the noise reduction, I open them in CS5 and File/Automate and use PKS2 Creative sharpener and perform the capture sharpening at this point.

After that, I then make any adjustments to the image and when those are correct, I then apply the creative sharpening.

I am on the right track aren't I?

Cheers

Onslow

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Photokit Sharpener 2 workflow.........
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

Thus, my new workflow is the same as before except that after I perform the noise reduction, I open them in CS5 and File/Automate and use PKS2 Creative sharpener and perform the capture sharpening at this point.

If you are talking about creative and output as two separate functions one after the other, yes....that's correct. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not using Camera Raw's capture sharpening and built in noise reduction will be a more optimal solution that capture sharpening in PKS2. Personally, even though I'm a PG member, I use ACR/LR for capture sharpening...Bruce Fraser and I consulted with the ACR engineers to get the capture sharpening pretty darn good in ACR/LR. Capture sharpening and noise reduction are two sides of the same coin so it's optimal to do both within the actual raw processing. Running your images through ACR with no sharpening (which you must do to use PKS2's capture sharpening) separates the sharpening from the noise reduction. If you know how to optimize the capture sharpening in ACR/LR, I might argue it's a better solution–although requires more skill and is less efficient that using PKS2. You're call, I would test both workflows...just don't try to use both at once :~)

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

If you are talking about creative and output as two separate functions one after the other, yes....that's correct. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not using Camera Raw's capture sharpening and built in noise reduction will be a more optimal solution that capture sharpening in PKS2. Personally, even though I'm a PG member, I use ACR/LR for capture sharpening...Bruce Fraser and I consulted with the ACR engineers to get the capture sharpening pretty darn good in ACR/LR. Capture sharpening and noise reduction are two sides of the same coin so it's optimal to do both within the actual raw processing. Running your images through ACR with no sharpening (which you must do to use PKS2's capture sharpening) separates the sharpening from the noise reduction. If you know how to optimize the capture sharpening in ACR/LR, I might argue it's a better solution–although requires more skill and is less efficient that using PKS2. You're call, I would test both workflows...just don't try to use both at once :~)

Thanks Jeff, I mis-spoke and used the wrong label. My apologies.

The line should have read

"Thus, my new workflow is the same as before except that after I perform the noise reduction, I open them in CS5 and File/Automate and use PKS2 Creative Capture sharpener and perform the capture sharpening at this point."

Essentially though, If I stick to my original workflow of light capture sharpening in ACR, I can just use the PKS2 creative and output sharpening in CS5. As I become more accustomed to PKS2 though I will start delving into it more.

I am looking at ordering the book "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop". I do understand you and Bruce Fraser wrote it. Is the information in there still relevant being published due to the newer versions of ACR and PS? or is the book a more generic reference for sharpening. I am trying to improve my technique re sharpening.

Thanks for your response...
Cheers

Onslow

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »

I am looking at ordering the book "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop". I do understand you and Bruce Fraser wrote it. Is the information in there still relevant being published due to the newer versions of ACR and PS? or is the book a more generic reference for sharpening. I am trying to improve my technique re sharpening.

Yes, it's still relevant...with the possible exception of the improved noise reduction now found in ACR/LR. But the sharpening is still the same.

Onslow

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:38 pm »

Thanks for that Jeff, books on it's way..... :)
Cheers

Onslow

artobest

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »

Don't wanna sound like a suck-up, but it's a brilliant book - cogent and witty and way more interesting than it has any right to be.

Schewe

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:30:52 pm »

Don't wanna sound like a suck-up, but it's a brilliant book - cogent and witty and way more interesting than it has any right to be.

Hey, you have excellent taste!!!

Thanks for the kind words...
Pages: [1]   Go Up