Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOUND: Speedotron or Elinchrom Zoom-Spot  (Read 3121 times)

Conner999

FOUND: Speedotron or Elinchrom Zoom-Spot
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »

Looking for one of the above, shipping to Canada via USPS, payment by PP or if in Canada, EMT.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:47:08 am by Conner999 »

Mark Paulson

Re: WTB: Speedotron or Elinchrom Zoom-Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:24:59 am »

I think I have on in my kit. I'll check when I get back ome on Sunday Night.

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:33:02 am »

Thanks Mark.

Mark Paulson

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:00 am »

Sorry, I haven't kept up on strobes, I have a mini spot and not a zoom.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:57 am »

Oh well. Thanks very much for checking Mark. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:05:27 pm »

You can make one yourself if you want.

The Elinchrom Zoomspot is a Selecon Acclaim with an elinchrom attachment on the back.

You can get the Selecon Acclaim for about $300 new.

You remove 8 screws on the back to remove the hot lamp housing and screw on an elinchrom
Chimera speedring on the back... Like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chimera-2170-Speed-Ring-for-Elinchrom-Lights-Excellent-Condition-/290733791266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b1159822#ht_500wt_1413

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:27 pm »

Fred has seen this already via PM, but thought I's share here for others.

It was actually some posts by Fred and 1-2 others on a different forum that peeked my interest in modifying a Strand/Selecon Acclaim (unit used by Eli) for use with my Profoto strobes. Can also do with the Altman Shakespeare (used by Speedo), but mods look more involved due to design of rear of unit.  

With the silly-ass prices both Eli & Speedo are asking for their "bring your own light" ellipsoidal ZS's (charging 3x as much for removing the tungsten bits and adding a speedring...), rolling your own seems like a good idea.

Unfortunately the Acclaim unit seems on permanent back order. My order for one placed 1.5 mos ago at B&H was just killed last week.  Strand seems unable to give any 'ship by" date to B&H and with it forming the guts of the Eli ZoomSpot, odds are good '7-14 days' until shipped would be a stretch.

With the Speedo Zoom-Spots just now discontinued and modifying a tungsten Shakespeare looking more complicated (assuming they were actually in stock anywhere), I decided to stick a WTB out there for a used while I scoured NA for an Acclaim ZoomSpot.

I'd did find one Speedo Shakespeare unit in Canada, but I'd be damned if I was going to pay $900+shipping (am getting shipped from US cheaper than could from T.O.) +HST (15%) if there existed ANY hope of paying $300 and doing my own 30 minute version of the factory's McGuyvering .

Well, mission accomplished. Found a theatrical supply shop in CA yesterday that had 6 left in stock, so now a unit is enroute. Finally.

In short, if by chance you're looking to play with a ("bring your own head") zoom-spot system, I'd suggest you strike quickly as they look like they're becoming scarce.
Pages: [1]   Go Up