Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Strobe Light  (Read 3333 times)

andreagenor

• André Agenor Photography
New Strobe Light
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:07 pm »

Hi,
I want buy new strobe light, I use brazilian made strobe light Atek and now I want to go a step forward.
I'm searching entry level pack or monolight and I see three options.
Broncolor Senso, Profoto Acute or Profoto D1.
But here in Brazil I don't have acess to this products for testing,  I need some sugestions.
At first look I like more Broncolor Senso, because there is more power than D1 and more easy control, and sure, is cute. You know we work with beauty
But I realy would like hear other opinions.

Sorry my bad English!

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: New Strobe Light
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »

If you want to spend a bit less, I can strongly recommend the Paul C Buff lights. The new Einstein units are particularly good.  If you are a very heavy user, you will be better off with Bron or Profoto, but otherwise Buff's lights are a bargain and perform very well.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/index.php

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

K.C.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »

I've lived in Brazil. I wouldn't buy anything I expected to have to ship back for repairs (yes plural.) That pretty much rules out anything PCB makes.

Profoto and Broncolor are outstanding lights that will serve you well for a diverse range of work from product to fashion. They are hardly entry level lights.

andreagenor

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:08 pm »

ndevlin, I need light with more power, 1200 or 2400, so I discarded this possibility.

K.C., here in Brazil there are Bron and Profoto seller and repair center, but I buy it much more cheaper in the U.S.

evgeny

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:36 am »

The other great option is Hensel.

The only drawback is short living (~70 hours) modeling bulbs. But these bulbs are cheap, and you don't need them all time.

Evgeny

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:23 am »

Don't forget the cost of modifiers. Profoto's are expensive but worth it. Broncolor's are great too but ridiculously expensive. I shoot with Profoto Pro 6 and Pro 7 packs and heads in the studio and Acute2R 1200s and D1 AIR 500s on location. They're great lights. I also use Elinchrom Ranger packs and heads for location. Again, very high quality lights.

The advantage to Broncolor is the ability to adjust flash duration independently of output. Unless you need that feature I don't think they're worth the investment.

As the other poster recommended, Hensel makes a very high quality light, but even in the U.S. you can't get their modifiers.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

As great as they are, I wouldn't consider Profoto and Broncolor to be entry-level systems. Try Dynalite or the Calumet-brand strobes. Both are high-quality and reliable. Not cheap, but not as pricey as Profoto or Bron.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:20:31 pm »

As the other poster recommended, Hensel makes a very high quality light, but even in the U.S. you can't get their modifiers.

It is certainly cumbersome to get their modifier. I have been using Elinchrom modifiers with my Hensel lights without any problems. Of course Chimera or Plume modifiers work with Hensel, too.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

andreagenor

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »

Thanks all,
I thought in Elinchrom, but don't exist any dealer here and repair services, If i had any trouble I will need to send for other country, this is a bad way I think.
Hensel is the same thing.
With Profoto and Broncolor I can buy it more cheaper in the U.S., but If i had any trouble, can I send for local repair service.
About the other entry level brands, I use Atek and is good like Paul C. Buff, Calumet, Dynalite, I really will like go up, because of this I chose this three options, maybe some expensive, but is like a marriage, I'll use for many years.

About modifiers, can I use my softbox and octabox I will need only new speedring and there are some generic brands, I don't need buy every bron or profoto brands. I found some used reflectors on ebay for less than 50% of original price.

Sorry, I can't explain every thing that I want, my English is very limited.

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:35:41 am »

Hi,

If you have a good place for service I suggest you buy used Broncolor Grafit A4 packs and used Pulso F4 heads.
The packs are selling for pretty reasonable prices right now (around €3,000) because of the new Scoro packs. Get packs with a relatively low flash count, in clean condition from a trustworthy source.

I sometimes rent Scoros so I know what they are like. There is very little difference between a Grafit and a Scoro. Both do pretty much everything it is technically possible to do with flash right now.

On the other hand, older Profoto packs are not remotely as versatile and new Broncolor or Profoto is prohibitively expensive.

I bought a bunch of Grafit A4s in 1999 and have used them ever since, with only one once needing a service. These are the best photographic purchase I've made (and I've made many).

J.

andreagenor

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:31 am »

Hi,

If you have a good place for service I suggest you buy used Broncolor Grafit A4 packs and used Pulso F4 heads.
The packs are selling for pretty reasonable prices right now (around €3,000) because of the new Scoro packs. Get packs with a relatively low flash count, in clean condition from a trustworthy source.

I sometimes rent Scoros so I know what they are like. There is very little difference between a Grafit and a Scoro. Both do pretty much everything it is technically possible to do with flash right now.

On the other hand, older Profoto packs are not remotely as versatile and new Broncolor or Profoto is prohibitively expensive.

I bought a bunch of Grafit A4s in 1999 and have used them ever since, with only one once needing a service. These are the best photographic purchase I've made (and I've made many).

J.

JdeV,
I understand your thinking, but I have limited budget.
Grafiti + Pulso Heads are so expensive to me right now.
Senso Kit is US $4,302.20 (Pack+Heads+Softbox+Case) is the same thing with Acute2R, is about the same price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up