Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR problem with Panasonic raw files?  (Read 1080 times)

meyerweb

LR problem with Panasonic raw files?
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:23:44 pm »

I've been reviewing images from a recent trip in LR 4, and discovered that quite a few images have 1 or more horizontal (in landscape orientation) lines across the image.  The lines appear in some images, but not all. Images shot in burst mode or exposure bracketing might show the lines in 1 or 2 frames, but not in others. The lines don't always appear in the same part of the frame, and sometimes there's only one line, occasionally two.

At first I thought it was a camera problem, but I've discovered the lines only show up when viewing the image in LR4 or 3.6 (I don't have any older versions to try. The images are from a Panasonic GH2. I've shot thousands of other frames on this camera and not noticed this problem in LR, but it only seems to happen in LR, so....

Has anyone seen something like this before? I've closed and reopened the file in LR several times, and other than an LR bug I have no ideas.

Thanks.

Here are 3 screen captures, from LR 4.1, Windows Photo Viewer, and Silkpix:

meyerweb

Another data point
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »

I've done some more investigating.  I really don't understand why the problem only shows up in LR, but it appears that it might not be caused by LR.

I use a program called Downloader Pro, from Breeze Systems, to copy files from the SD card to my hard disk and rename them. Then import them into LR using the "Add" option.

I reimported the image, this time using LR to copy the image directly from the card, rather than using DP to copy the files first. This new version of the file doesn't show the lines in LR.

I then used DP to recopy the files, to a different drive this time, and reimported them into LR using the Add option. Again, no problem this time. I can believe there's a disk error (although it affected a significant number of files, apparently randomly.  I can accept there might have been a glitch in the copy operation. But I don't understand why any such error would only show up in LR.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Re: LR problem with Panasonic raw files?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:02 am »

I've seen those lines before, too. I was copying files from an SD card using the built-in SD slot on a Mac.

I'd see the lines in LR, go back to the card, re-copy the file and the second copy would be fine.

I don't know why it started and I haven't seen it in a long time.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Re: LR problem with Panasonic raw files?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »

I have a GH2 and use Lightroom 4.1. I have had no similar problems. I use a card reader and the Lightroom import with conversion to DNG. It's working fine.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up