Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H1 or H2?  (Read 14188 times)

pjtn

Hasselblad H1 or H2?
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:39:05 am »

What are the benefits of the Hasselblad H2 over the H1? I'm looking at getting one for long exposure landscape photography with my P30+. The H1 I can purchase for about $1600 and the H2 for about $2200. I'm just not sure if the H2 is worth the extra money.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Hasselblad H1 or H2?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:50 pm »

I believe the H2 was mainly some firmware improvement.  I think you can install that firmware on an H1.  I have a lightly used H1 I've been debating on whether to sell or to upgrade to an H4x with a Phase p45+ back.  The main problem was mirror bounce on a tripod when not using mirror lock up.  That was one correction in the firmware.

studio347

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »

Actuation number seems to be important. If possible, well used, less than 10,000 actuation, camera & lens is good to have.
I would probably try to avoid more than 30,000 actuation-camera and lens.
H2 means less old camera than H1.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:18:08 pm by studio347 »

pjtn

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:42:41 pm »

That's interesting to know about the mirror. Thankfully I'll be using it on the tripod basically all of the time.

Good point too, the H2 will be the younger camera. The H1 that I've found has 40,000 actuations and I'm still trying to find out about the H2. Someone else I found has a H1 with 120,000 actuations on theirs and they want even more money for theirs.

It's hard finding these cameras in Australia for sale, and when I do they all have high actuation counts. The reason I want to purchase within my own country is to avoid paying custom taxes.

JV

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »

I upgraded my H1 to an H2 at a certain moment.  As far as stability is concerned I can't really say I saw much difference. 
It probably depends on which version of the firmware you are already running on the H1.
The autofocus from H1 over H2 to H4X has definitely improved with each release.

pjtn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »

An improvement in autofocus would be nice but not completely necessary for me. I found elsewhere people saying that using the H2 with a third party back is no different to using the H1, so it would seem the changes are mostly for Hasselblad backs.

I've found at that the H2 also has 40,000 actuations on it.

Pingang

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:12 pm »

I still use both, both camera are nice and accountable, which I am still using until today, so many years later.
The biggest difference or me is H2 is much softer in mirror damping, the camera sounded more quietly than H1 haavy mechanical sound, seemed something hitting together and also feels it is slightly more camera vibration.
As H2, similar to H3/H4 in sounds and vibration, feels a bit more smooth, less vibration, sounds like a car with better engine, I shot mainly in studio and sometimes location, the other function are similar and I did not use that much on the camera digital function - which in many ways far more advanced than some current Canon and Nikon, for example user own definition on delay, self-timer, and etc. for real shoot, which I use P1 backs and Sinar, I don't see any image or even focus difference between the two.
Both are great cameras, robust - except I really hope H camera don't double the battery as hand grip, it does not provide the most security feel although it so far has not failed.

Pingang
Shanghai

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:20 am »

That's interesting to know about the mirror. Thankfully I'll be using it on the tripod basically all of the time.

tripod won't help.  If you are using an H1 without mirror lockup and it hasn't had a firmware update, blurry images are quite likely.  I shoot mainly landscape, and learned the hard way when I did a family sitting without mirror lockup ... and it was on a tripod.

supposedly firmware update for the H1 fixes it.

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 05:41:48 am »

I believe the H2 was mainly some firmware improvement.  I think you can install that firmware on an H1.  I have a lightly used H1 I've been debating on whether to sell or to upgrade to an H4x with a Phase p45+ back.  The main problem was mirror bounce on a tripod when not using mirror lock up.  That was one correction in the firmware.

Make sure that either camera has the benefit of the latest firmware (9.5.0) that gives greater control over mirror delay. Get it updated at your dealer or service station or using any Hasselblad digital back as an interface via Phocus.
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

pjtn

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:54 am »

I've found out that the H1 has version 9.0 installed. What mirror delay features will be missing?

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:43 am »

I cant remember exactly what version of firmware/software added this feature but here is an extract that explains it. This feature is user user adjustable and can also be disabled if it doesn't work for you.

Extra mirror-delay
A new Custom Option (#31) has been added to lessen some camera shake problems common with longer hand-held exposures leading to a loss of sharpness. The normal remedy of using a tripod or support and manually raising the mirror is not always suitable however.
To counteract this situation, you can now increase the delay time between the mirror settling into its raised position and the opening of the shutter. Although the time period here is in milliseconds, tests have shown a marked improvement in many cases. Consequently, slower shutter speeds can be considered (whether hand-held or on a tripod/support) than would normally be advised while still retaining sharpness normally only obtainable with faster shutter speeds.
There are a number of factors — shutter speed/sturdiness of tripod or support/focal length of lens — to take into account when determining the ideal setting. 50 milliseconds is suggested as a good starting point for experimentation and is the default setting.
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

pjtn

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:25:42 am »

Interesting feature. At the moment I intend to use mirror lockup and self timer for every shot. Of course that might change later though.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »

H1/H1D/H2/H2D firmware version 9.2.2 and later

http://www.s1group.ca/site/s1group/assets/pdf/h2_addendum.pdf

:)

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:12 pm »

Hi Pjtn,

I may stand corrected but as far as I remember I was told that the H2 was the first H series camera that was able to power the digital back via the camera battery grip. Also the rechargeable battery was changed from NiMH 9.6V to LiIon 7.2V around that time. Both types batteries will work on both cameras but the chargers are not interchangeable.
From our experience expect a repair from around 50.000 actuations, try to get hands on your future camera or reserve the right to cancel the deal, there are some worn out bodys out there. You can get your firmware upgraded, this is usually done during any service or through a dealer. HTH.

Cheers, Ulf

figure1a

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

pjtn

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:55:16 pm »

I'll probably just use the CR123 battery grip yet, they're much smaller and lighter to carry around than a charger and grips. Unfortunately because I'm using the Phase One back the camera battery won't power it.

I've actually found another camera on this forum which has done less than 10,000 actuations and is apparently in good cosmetic condition. I'm heavily leaning towards that one at the moment.

I hadn't seen that one on eBay figure1a, I'll watch the bidding to see where it heads.

Analog6

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:32:50 am »

I have listed one recently on here with some lenses etc, it's in good nick and I am negotiable:)

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 05:34:36 pm »

Another difference is the H2 can pass additional metadata from capture to the Hasselblad backs - CFH132 aka CFH-22 and the CFH-39. These were the first digital backs with CF card instead of tethered to the ImageBank.

As far as the value equation, the H-body is rated at 100,000 actuations - which is rear curtain movement and mirror glide for all practical purposes - and the exterior wear parts such as the eyecup and shutter release button. So a camera with 30,000 actuations has used 30% of it's duty cycle with 70% left before servicing. That assumes reasonable care by the owner, of course.

Rear curtain replacement is around $500 USD for reference and a tune & lube is under $200 USD for duty cycle cost references. Eyecups are reasonable - I think last ones were under $20 USD.

The most obvious and heavy weighted variable is the visible condition. Good design and materials deliver.

Shoot well!

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

ondebanks

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 11:14:02 am »

Another difference is the H2 can pass additional metadata from capture to the Hasselblad backs - CFH132 aka CFH-22 and the CFH-39. These were the first digital backs with CF card instead of tethered to the ImageBank.

Actually the Kodak DCS Pro Back 645H was the first back for the H cameras to use a CF card.

"There will be two digital backs available as the H1 starts to ship; the 16MP Kodak DCS pro back and an 11MP Phase One back"

The P1 back referred to (11 MP Lightphase) was tethered only - no card, LCD, or Li-ion battery.

Kodak was well ahead of the MFD curve in 2002. What a shame it is to see what became of them in the 10 years since.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up