Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with lens adaptor on 5D2?  (Read 848 times)

desy

Problem with lens adaptor on 5D2?
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »

Looking for advice on a problem I encountered this week with my 5D2, which I'm assuming may have been due to some kind of problem with the chip on my Nikon to EOS lens adapter.

Have a Haoda brand adapter that is chipped to allow for focus confirmation, have used it for a while with no issue with a couple of lenses. When the problem occurred I had a Nikon 200mm f4 AI mounted with this adaptor. While using this combination I started having problems with the shutter and the electrical on the camera, i.e. the shutter (mirror assembly?) would release but not return, and a number of the electronic functions on the camera quit working (e.g. the LCD screen). By shutting the camera off and on I could get the mirror assembly to return, but when pressing the shutter again it would not return. Tried a couple of EF lenses and kept having the same problems.

Once I removed the battery and replaced it, everything functioned normally again, but haven't tried the lens adaptor again since I got things working - was very relieved that the camera started functioning normally again and not wanting to risk permanent damage.

Given that I was using a 200mm focal length, I'm pretty confident that the problem was not caused by interference from the back of the lens with the mirror assembly. Even at infinity focus the back of the lens does not protrude beyond the lens mount.

Thinking the problem may be with the chip on the adaptor causing some kind of electrical glitch with the camera, hoping for feedback about that. Assuming that's the source of the problem, I was thinking I could just remove the chip and continue using the adaptor without it, my understanding is that these chips are just glued into place.

If there are any other thoughts about the nature of the problem, would appreciate hearing. Would also appreciate any info about how to properly remove the chip from the adaptor as well.

Thanks for any input on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up