Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS6 and Saving Files  (Read 6548 times)

vjbelle

CS6 and Saving Files
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »

I am editing files from my IQ180..... bringing them into CS6 and doing all of the edits on layers.  I can initially save the file with its original name.  I see no sense in renaming the file since edits are non destructive and its in a new folder.  However, when I reopen the file and continue to edit on another layer trying to save the file with the same file name doesn't work.... I get an error message that the file is either open or in use.  I must rename it to save it.  Does anyone know what is going on?  I have never had this happen to me in prior versions of PS. 

Victor

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: CS6 and Saving Files
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »

Absolute guess. I don't even have CS6 yet. However I think I read that PS6 has auto save that is working to back up in "down" time. Maybe it is still in auto-backup mode and you're trying to save the file before it's done backing up?

Redcrown

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:40:52 pm »

Can't help, but can confirm. I'm getting the same error in CS6 under Windows 7, but mine is quite random. Not all re-saves, but maybe every 1 out of 10.

The only pattern I've noticed is that it happens much more often when I'm working in a folder with 100+ images, and rarely or not at all when I'm in a folder with only a few images (1 to 10).

I suspect it's a bug/conflict between Photoshop and Bridge, but I've been too lazy to chase it down. When I edit, I don't have any other programs running.

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 03:42:44 pm »

I have been thinking that auto save may have something to do with this but I really don't know.  I've tried waiting a bit to see if I could save the file but no luck.  My system is pretty fast and I'm writing to SSD... when the file is finished it is ultimately transferred to a larger conventional disk.  So, if there's an auto save going on it should be done fairly quickly.  My files are fairly large.... not difficult to get to a couple of gigs but the writes and reads are very fast.... much faster than CS5.  Maybe after auto save is kicked in it won't let go of that file name.... or maybe its a bug.  Don't know and thought I would ask.  

Thanks for the reply...

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

Good to hear that I'm not alone.... I am also with Win 7 but I keep my working files in their own folders - its just the way I do things.  So, for me, that eliminates the bunch of files in the directory issue.  Its not a matter of life or death but it would take up less disk space if I could continue to save the existing file instead of a subsequent renamed file.

Victor

Jeffrey Combs

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:15:58 pm »

I have the same issue at about the same frequency. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 with CS6. The problem seems to occur only when Bridge is active, and disappears when I quit Bridge, even without restarting Photoshop, so I suspect it's a Bridge bug. Quitting Bridge seems to be a workaround for me--knock on wood. Not a good workaround, though. It means I'll have to run all my batch processes through Photoshop with Bridge turned off, at least until the issue is resolved. I'm gonna email Adobe and see if I can get some help on this.

Jeffrey Combs

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »

I am editing files from my IQ180..... bringing them into CS6 and doing all of the edits on layers.  I can initially save the file with its original name.  I see no sense in renaming the file since edits are non destructive and its in a new folder.  However, when I reopen the file and continue to edit on another layer trying to save the file with the same file name doesn't work.... I get an error message that the file is either open or in use.  I must rename it to save it.  Does anyone know what is going on?  I have never had this happen to me in prior versions of PS.  

Victor

I was getting the following message when saving in Photoshop CS6 Extended:
"Could not save "G:\...\_0008_DSCF7826.RAF.tif" because the file is already in use or was left open by
another application."

The problem occurred intermittently when saving individual files, and every time I attempted to run a batch
operation on multiple files through Bridge.

Since a huge part of my work involves batch processing files, I spent some time trying to narrow down the cause. I did 10 Batch processing test runs on twelve 100MB files. My batch process included "Save and Close" actions. I ran my batch actions through Photoshop (File>Automate>Batch), rather than through Bridge, with the following results:

The issue DID NOT occur in 10 test runs if:
1. Bridge WAS NOT running OR if
2. Bridge was running with the Performance and Handling settings for Thumbnails set to "Do Not Process
Files larger Than Zero MB" (reset from the default value of 1000MB.) I haven't tested other values yet.

The issue recurred when:

1. the "Do Not Process Files larger Than" Bridge setting was reset back to 1000 MB. closing and restarting
Bridge with these settings, and running my Batch action caused the problem to reappear by the second Save.
2. I wasn't able to successfully run any batch actions through Bridge at all.

To sum up, the issue occurred only when Bridge was running.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:53:18 pm by Jeffrey Combs »

Jeffrey Combs

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:31:13 am »

SOLVED!

My "Could not save "G:\...\_filename.tif" because the file is already in use or was left open by another application." error message has been fixed, thanks to a suggestion by a gentleman on another forum who noted:

"Some users experience constant re-caching with layered TIFF images. A workaround is turning off TIFF support in camera raw preferences."

In the Bridge menu, I went to Edit>Camera Raw Preferences>Tiff and Jpeg Handling and clicked the drop-down arrow next to the "Tiff" window and selected "Disable Tiff Support."  Since then, the "Could not save "G:\...\_filename.tif" because the file is already in use or was left open by another application." error message has not reappeared in at least 50 saves and many Save and Close batch operations.

There is also an option to "Disable Jpeg Support" which may, hopefully, help if the issue occurs with jpegs.

Also, I should mention that there were other factors that may or may not have contributed to the solution. I was online with an Adobe Tech Support person for over an hour, he had me (in Windows 7):

Close Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS6, then click the Start button, type %appdata% in the field at the very bottom of the Start menu. This opened a window. In that window, I Opened the Adobe Folder,  renamed the Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder “Adobe Photoshop CS6 Old,” and the Adobe Bridge CS6 folder “Adobe Bridge CS6 Old” to force Photoshop to recreate brand new and hopefully error free folders. This didn’t solve the issue, and I subsequently changed the “Old” folders back to their original file names and deleted the newly created Bridge and PS folders.  When I later disabled Tiff Support, the issue disappeared. I don’t know if the things I did online with the Adobe Tech Support guy factored into the solution, but I'm mentioning them just in case they did.
Hope this helps!
Jeff

jgbowerman

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

Thanks for sharing, Jeff

CS6 is currently shipping and soon to be delivered. I've been concerned about this auto-save feature that I would be just fine without. This information could prove valuable!

Cheers, Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up