Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Compare Prints D800 vs D700  (Read 2209 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Anyone Compare Prints D800 vs D700
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:25 am »

I'd be curious if anyone has done a comparison of prints.  I'm wondering if there is any observable difference at say 14x21 inches.  Don't you think I can get the same quality print from a d5100?  I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether there is any point in having a d800 if your not printing  super large?  I don't need high ISO performance or fast AF.  What am I missing? Are there any real improvements to the sensor that one can actually see or would this be like comparing a 12 bit camera to a 14 bit camera - no real difference except on paper.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Anyone Compare Prints D800 vs D700
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »

Subject matters.

It is possible to produce nice prints at 22 inch from a 12 mp camera when things are done well.

Looked at by itself the print will feel fine.

Now with subjects featuring textures or small details, like distant leaves, the D800 print does provide a significantly more refined impression, it does feel more real. That's a bit like looking at a DVD vs Bluray on a 46 inch TV. The upscaled DVD is watchable, but it is hard to go back once you have gotten used to the BR image.

Besides, DR and colors with the D800 are nice!

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:31 am »

I'd be curious if anyone has done a comparison of prints.  I'm wondering if there is any observable difference at say 14x21 inches

With D700 that size will be about 200 ppi in the print, while the D800 will give you 350 ppi.

I have not myself compared D700 vs D800 prints, but I have compared 200 vs 350 ppi prints. On say a portrait it does not matter that much, but on a fine art print of a detailed landscape (which people tend to walk close to see all details) it will be a most noticeable improvement.

For high quality fine art prints that should stand up to nosing I think a good rule of thumb is to never print less than 200 ppi, and that you can see improvements up to 350-400 ppi depending on print technology.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:21:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies - I've been away from the internet.  Yes being able to print at 360 dpi and not interpolate is a good point.  I remember Rich Sieling from West Coast Imaging showing a workshop prints made at 180 dpi and 300dpi.  I could see a difference but honestly it wasn't much.  With my d300 I alway set my print resolution to dpi. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up