Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best new "high use" customers?  (Read 6870 times)

Shutterbug2006

Re: Best new "high use" customers?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

I appreciate all the great feedback in this thread. However, sometimes I feel that  there must be two parallel universes. One, where people acknowledge good quality work and will gladly pay for it, and the other is the one I live in. I have many people who come to me, because they know I'll make their photos look great. The problem always comes when I try to charge for my experience. Most of the people I deal with are extremely price sensitive, and I wouldn't even have the business I currently do if I tried to charge some of the prices previously discussed.

Is it a matter of market size? Are the higher priced printer jobs in larger cities? Is it the type of retail location?

Let your work speak for itself.  The minute you start cutting deals, you start attracting that kind of clientele.

If you price your work properly, it would reflect the labour cost and the materials, and you need to earn a profit.

I let the price sensitive people walk away. I have no interest in doing deals because they think they can't afford it. People who want quality will pay for it.

You might check out your local chamber of commerce and see if they have any courses on sales and marketing.

Don't feel bad saying no. Someone who comes to you and talks about Walgreens or Walmart or whoever produces cheaply priced photos, is not a customer you want to have.

Just my two cents worth. You're a professional. You produce professional quality products, and although it is a labour of love, at the end of the day, you have to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. Insist on charging a fair price. Fair to YOU.

Damir

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 06:29:05 am »

I am not printing in a way that someone can come to my shop from the street. I am photographer therefore I primary print for myself. After some time my fellow photographers noticed my prints and started to ask me to print for them. For my work I know exactly how I want them to look like, I choose paper from experience if I am not completely sure I try several different surfaces. I explain that to everyone who want me to print so the time and paper for making experiments are included in price. If at the end they start to complicate I just send them away to print shop and never again work with them. Like you wrote in last reply - don't feel bad to say no.

If you ask for recipe you will not get it anywhere it is a matter of experience and vision. I hate plastic papers, even in the age of darkroom I was producing my own papers by hand coating artistic papers with black and white emulsion. But sometimes such papers suit the work therefore I always consider them too. I feel that today to many pictures are printed with to strong colors. Colors are screaming from pictures. Of course there are some pictures that need that like my experiments with black light:
http://fot-o-grafiti.hr/slike/savjeti/_uv/torso.jpg
http://fot-o-grafiti.hr/slike/savjeti/_uv/spageti.jpg

I am finally able to print it the way I like with HM FineArt Baryta and HP Z3100 who have blue ink and give me great prints, but this picture also looks great on RC papers. Matt papers are subduing the picture which is not my intention at the moment I made photos.
On the other hand my latest exhibition "The birth of an angel" was printed on HM Bamboo:
http://fot-o-grafiti.hr/novosti/foto-doga%C4%91anja/damir-tiljak-ra%C4%91anje-an%C4%91ela

There are some pictorial scenes, like foggy landscapes, that just looks perfect on fine art matte papers I got great results with HP Matte Litho Realistic for most of such works, also for most of the black and white photos, but for my "Angel" series I liked even more yellow base and textured surface of Bamboo.

Generally if you have a lot of fine details avoid strong texture, but I like canvas for portraits on which hair is not important, it is perfect. It is possible to get some sort of texture in skin that will kill blemishes or hide to strong retouching, of course fine details in the hair will be lost, but this can hide low resolution of the camera, as the hair area needs the highest resolution on picture:
http://fot-o-grafiti.hr/nauci/ispis-print/teku%C4%87-laminacija

After all this is just my preferences, someone else can have different approach.

Clearair

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 07:50:07 am »

I print large format so called fine art prints with a nod to archival qualities because it's my own work and I want control.
Fussy about materials has got me attention from other photographers/artists who want me to print for them.
WHY?

None of them want to take on colour management, highish computer and software tools and a bloody great heavy printer that needs expensive materials.
They just want to photo/paint.

This means I have to pass on my cost. If they don't want to pay thats not a problem as then I don't print. Be careful of Uncle Bob, you know the guy with a desk top printer that will do it for nothing as he's a mate.
 Thats not you is it?? No only joking. But you get my point. I want my car fixed and a mechanic I know will advise me but it is his job so I would not dream of under paying.

People don't value our prints if we don't.

I am not interested in chasing volume work but here in the UK I would have to market myself with an ambulance chasers work ethic to do this.

Best of luck.

John Caldwell

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:26 am »

I am finally able to print it the way I like with HM FineArt Baryta and HP Z3100 who have blue ink and give me great prints, but this picture also looks great on RC papers. Matt papers are subduing the picture which is not my intention at the moment I made photos.
On the other hand my latest exhibition "The birth of an angel" was printed on HM Bamboo:
http://fot-o-grafiti.hr/novosti/foto-doga%C4%91anja/damir-tiljak-ra%C4%91anje-an%C4%91ela

Some very stirring work here, Damir. Beautiful. I've not tried the HFA Bamboo paper and have no clue what it resembles.

John Caldwell

Clearair

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:06 am »

Bamboo is my number one for matte art prints and B&W if a slightly off white paper is OK for the subject.

It's never failed me and is easy to work with.

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

As someone who occasionally prints for others, I'd very much agree with those who say that it is your skill and expertise that you are selling, not just the fact that you have a big printer in the room next door to your office.

If people choose you just on price, then you are getting customers that are not so interested in the skills and experience you bring to the print. Much as with my commercial photography, if a potential client asks the price too many times at the start, I'm inclined to take it as a warning.

Printmaking is a service that I don't currently advertise on our web site, since first and foremost I'm a commercial photographer, not a printer. Where I do print work, I like to physically see and get to know the people wanting prints, both to discuss what it is that they want, and that tricky issue, of whether their image is up to the quality required for a big print - something less likely IMHO with someone primarily worried about the price ;-)

However... my wife Karen has just started working for the company as Marketing Director, and I think she's looking at the big printer and wondering why it's not making a bigger contribution to the bottom line ;-)  My own large prints are very much a personal thing, so sometimes you do need someone with a bit more of a business eye, and not involved with your 'art'.
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

epatsellis

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

While some here may decry the approach, I print for a few local studios and photographers. Their work contributes significantly to profitability, allowing me to pursue my imagemaking.

The prices I charge are well below what most are discussing here, consistent with WHCC, H&H and a few other providers.
The main advantage I offer my customers is that I'm local, have a personalized approach and will tailor output to suit that photographer (or studios) "image" and can offer rush service if needed (at significantly higher cost). Maybe I live more modestly than most, but I can live with 70% gross margin, I mean really folks, most retail shops exist quite comfortably at or around 50%.

It must be working, in the approximately 3 months since I've acquired the printer, the printer has paid for itself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up