Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lofoten, Norway  (Read 25347 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Re: Lofoten, Norway
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 05:02:32 pm »

Thanks again Bjorn...actually I have a new 14-24 2.8 sitting here at my house "waiting" for the Nikon D800e which is on backorder.  I was trying to avoid taking this lens on my Norway trip as to travel light but I have heard so many fabulous things about the lens I just may have to take it along (how weather proofed is it??..as in Kayak and zodiac  splashes, etc)...I'll be on the National Geographic Explorer ship and we will travel from Copenhagen up Norway's south and west coasts up to where you are, Tromso then up to  Svalbard.  While we won't have any choice about where the ship goes, we will be kayaking from the ship visiting towns like "AA" and others. We were in Svalbard last year actually so the real reason for taking this trip is to see costal Norway...your country is so so beautiful!!!.  We will be there the end of May 2013...I'm assuming the sun doesn't set at all there this time of year.  Will we have any "golden" light tho and if so,what time of night?  In early to mid June Svalbard was very bright 24 hours a day...no "low sun" light at all. Thanks again! Eleanor

Thank you Eleanor. I mostly use the Nikkor 14-24mm/2,8, but some photos are taken with my old Nikkor Ai 16mm/3,5 rectangular fisheye, it's an incredible good lens.
I will gladly give you some advice about locations in Lofoten (and northern Norway in general) if you wish, I know these parts of Norway well.

Bjørn J
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Bjørn J

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:51 am »

Eleanor, you absolutely must bring your 14-24mm! It performs excellent on my D800 (not the E). It's supposed to be reasonably water resistant, but be careful with that huge front glass.
In Lofoten the period with midnight sun is from May 28 to July 18. During that time the whole sun is above the horizon. At midnight, the sun is in the north, so you need to be on the outer parts of the Lofoten islands to see it. The villages Ramberg, Eggum and Uttakleiv are perfect locations. I do not know how long the ship will stay in Lofoten, but hopefully they will arrange bus trips for you to see the fishing villages and amazing scenery.

The best times of day are very early morning and late evening, or even night. Depending on the weather of course.
The first photo attached is taken half an hour before midnight, in June, in the village Ramberg. The second is from the village Unstad, a very special place. It has become rather famous now, attracting surfers from all over the world. Maybe I am in Lofoten when your ship arrives, do have a date for when you will be in Lofoten?
Good luck, hopefully you will have better weather than we have now - 2 degrees C and snowfall/sleet.
Bjørn Jørgensen
http://www.arcticphoto.no

eleanorbrown

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 05:53:27 pm »

Thanks again Bjorn for all the helpful information!!  I don't know when the ship will be in the area but I think the plan is to kayak and or zodiac from the anchored ship into a few of the towns...to see and walk around some.  We will also be landing to do some hiking in the near backcountry on the western coast but not sure where...There is no absolute "set" itinerary  which is a good thing...the captain takes the ship where weather is best and plans can change at the drop of a hat if necessary...What other Nikkor lenses do you like with your D800?!  eleanor

Eleanor, you absolutely must bring your 14-24mm! It performs excellent on my D800 (not the E). It's supposed to be reasonably water resistant, but be careful with that huge front glass.
In Lofoten the period with midnight sun is from May 28 to July 18. During that time the whole sun is above the horizon. At midnight, the sun is in the north, so you need to be on the outer parts of the Lofoten islands to see it. The villages Ramberg, Eggum and Uttakleiv are perfect locations. I do not know how long the ship will stay in Lofoten, but hopefully they will arrange bus trips for you to see the fishing villages and amazing scenery.

The best times of day are very early morning and late evening, or even night. Depending on the weather of course.
The first photo attached is taken half an hour before midnight, in June, in the village Ramberg. The second is from the village Unstad, a very special place. It has become rather famous now, attracting surfers from all over the world. Maybe I am in Lofoten when your ship arrives, do have a date for when you will be in Lofoten?
Good luck, hopefully you will have better weather than we have now - 2 degrees C and snowfall/sleet.
Eleanor Brown

Bjørn J

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 05:29:18 am »

I use the 70-200/2,8 VRII a lot, it performs fine on the D800. The 24-70/2,8 is also OK, but it struggles a little on the D800, especially wide open in the corners. It is great for more "photo-journalist" kind of photography, though. The Micro-Nikkor 60mm/2,8 AF-S is very good on the D800. I also use the Zeiss Distagon 21/2,8 and Zeiss Macro-Planar 100mm/2,0. Fantastic lenses!
Good luck on your trip - it's good that you don't have a set timetable.

Bjørn J
Bjørn Jørgensen

eleanorbrown

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:51 am »

Ahhh yes...the Zeiss! I have the 100/2 and will be taking that for sure.  I've heard incredible things about that lens too!  Thanks again, Eleanor

I use the 70-200/2,8 VRII a lot, it performs fine on the D800. The 24-70/2,8 is also OK, but it struggles a little on the D800, especially wide open in the corners. It is great for more "photo-journalist" kind of photography, though. The Micro-Nikkor 60mm/2,8 AF-S is very good on the D800. I also use the Zeiss Distagon 21/2,8 and Zeiss Macro-Planar 100mm/2,0. Fantastic lenses!
Good luck on your trip - it's good that you don't have a set timetable.

Bjørn J
Eleanor Brown

SteveColemanAUS

• Steve Coleman Australian Landscape Photographer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:32 am »

Hello Fredrick,

I'm a landscape photographer just recently back from Lofoten.

You can find images here: http://www.lightinframe.com

Also in about 10 days i'll have some location notes up on my blog here: http://www.lightinframeblog.com

I hope these might be of help to you.

Any specific question just ask me.

Cheers Steve Coleman
Steve Coleman | Australian Landscape Photographer
Landscape photographer, writer of words, walker of beaches. Keeping it simple, with a few rolls of film...

Catastrophe

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »

Hi guys,

I'm actually really interested in going to Norway around May/June next year or November. what will be a better time to visit for photography? I noticed most of the photography tours are around March or November, is there any around May/June? Because I heard there's barely any light in November, probably just 3-4 hours?

Also, any other recommended places other than Lofoten and Tromoso? The country is so long that I don't know where to concentrate my efforts on, probably will only have a week to 10 days max.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Bjørn J

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:45 am »

You are right that there is very little daylight in November. Of course the lack of light might give good photo opportunities in itself, but personally I would prefer to go there in the first half of March. At that time there is much more variation in light conditions, and the fishing season is at peak activity. It's a very different Lofoten than the "tourist-Lofoten" you'll see in the summer. With some luck you'll experience some heavy snowfall or snowstorms with closed roads etc. With even more luck you might see the Northern Lights in all its glory. But rain, sleet and clouds covering all the mountains are also a possibility....

Mid-summer is also a great time to visit Lofoten, mostly because of the midnight sun and the contrasts in the landscape (like beautiful, white beaches underneath steep mountains). But be prepared for lots of tourists and difficulties in finding accomodation.
Bjørn Jørgensen

dmerger

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:32 am »

Off topic, but an interesting read may be “We Die Alone” by David Howarth.  This true story takes place in Northern Norway.  Here is part of the book description from Library Journal:  “This 1955 volume is one of the most remarkable survival stories ever written. Jan Baalsrud was the only survivor of a Norwegian commando team ambushed by the Nazis during World War II. Wounded and with the Germans in pursuit, Baalsrud escaped and miraculously fought his way through the Norwegian tundra to a distant village, where he was saved by locals who helped spirit him to Sweden. Baalsrud suffered frostbite and snowblindness, came through an avalanche, and lived to tell the tale.”
Dean Erger

Catastrophe

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »

Is there any tours around May and June for the midnight sun?? Most of the photography tours are for March or November...

Bjørn J

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 06:20:51 am »

Why go on an organized tour? Rent a car either at Evenes airport (if you fly from Oslo), or in Lofoten. In the cities Svolvær and Leknes you can rent cars. The roads are generally good (but curvy and narrow), and the distances are short -  less than two hours drive from Svolvær to the end of the road (the fishing village called Å). All the great photo locations on the outer parts of Lofoten are easily accesiible.
Bjørn Jørgensen

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:52 am »

Why go on an organized tour? Rent a car

+1.

skeeterjohn

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 12:06:43 am »

You can see Lofoten pics at my SmugMug site at:  skeeterstravelphotography.com

Click on the Norway button.  Hope you enjoy the pics.  I KNOW you will enjoy the Lofotens. 

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up