Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon lenses and Speedlights  (Read 1170 times)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Canon lenses and Speedlights
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:38:06 am »

I'm considering swithing to Nikon but am scared to death about selling my old gear for fair market value.   I guess I'm looking for advice on how best to make the leap.

I have a EPS 10-22, the 24-70 version 1, and the 70-200 2.8 version 1, and a marco 100.   Two 580 speedlights.   All have been used as a hobby and have light to moderate use.  Never serviced.   I gave my 20D camera to my neice over the holidays.

I live in Boston.   I have no idea how much these would be worth and I'm hesitant to start a long distance transaction.

Two questions:  What would be a fair market value for each and are there any second hand markets to explore that are local to me?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
Re: Canon lenses and Speedlights
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:38:26 am »

This is a complicated set of questions.  I would suggest that you look through this forum and see what others sold or priced your items for.  You could also look on used camera outlets like Adorama, B&H, KEH Photo, etc. to get a sense of what stores try to get for these items.  Then given the condition of your equipment on a scale of, say, 1 to 5, evaluate each piece.  I would also be more specific about each item, especially the macro (the old rotating barrel one?) and the 580 EX (I or II).  On the latter, the I version is, in my mind, more robust and it also has the highly desirable manual switch on it.  Canon was asked repeatedly to put this back on what is now the new 600 EX-RT and they did not do so.  I consider the I version to still be a superb flash.

The other option for you might be to get a used 5D Mk II camera body and keep everything you have, all good items, and just sell the EF-S lens.  This would give you a viable outfit at far less cost than switching to another brand.

You can use PayPal (they get 2.95% of the transaction total) which reduces the transaction worries.

Stu

dseelig

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Look at the marketplace forum here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ Your equipment is worth good money . Camera stores will have to make a markup of a tleast 40 percent. Craigslist and here get dpi the site  Imentiones photo.net all good palces to sell David

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »

Fredmiranda.com Buy & Sell has a huge Canon marketplace.  You will need to register to search Buy & Sell. You will need to pay a small fee to upload pictures. 

Canon has very good resale value.  You just have to price it correctly, show good pics, and be smart about who you are dealing with.  Luminous is a great marketplace too - a lot of pros and people with established history.

Looks like about $1,000 for the 24-70, to $1,250 for the 70-200. The 70-200 has a II version, the 24-70 has a new version coming out soon, but it is $2,300.

You can also pick up the Nikon version of the same lenses there.

You will sell at the correct market price without problem.

You do have to do your best to "prove" who you are, and show some kind of internet history - web site, auction site sales, etc.

Most people will want to work with PayPal.com, or ChaseQuickpay which is free.

I had a Nikon D800E on order, but decided not to switch now as I have far too many Canon lenses.  Did not want to mess with it during the summer - maybe in the fall. But I have 7 L lenses, plus 4 non-L.  

I am actually looking forward to the Canon T4i this summer in the $850 range, mostly for video.

Good luck!

Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:58:40 pm by mmurph »
Pages: [1]   Go Up