Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Pro2 "Raven" review  (Read 49036 times)

PhilipCummins

Re: i1Pro2 "Raven" review
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 03:35:14 am »

From what I can see on X-Rite's site; You don't 'just' buy the hardware, you have to buy the lowest inclusive package to get your hands on the hardware.

That's what I saw as well, if you had i1 Publish Pro you simply had to purchase the i1 Basic Pro 2 and then use the new i1Profiler "Transfer License" option to migrate the licenses from the old i1Pro to the new i1Pro 2. The old i1Pro is downgraded to the equivalent i1 Basic Pro level while the i1Pro 2 is used for licensing from then on.

I guess theoretically you could transfer licenses and then sell your old i1Pro as an i1 Basic Pro or for other people who would want to use it with CalMan, ChromaPure or Argyll (or keep it as a backup/sanity check device).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:33 am »

my i1Pro 2 is licensed for Publish but so is my HASP dongle. I can use either.
I doubt you'd see any issues if everything you have access to is fully licensed.

I can imagine issues for my own situation where I have two i1Pros (both dating from GMB days) that act as a dongle for i1Match for monitor and printer profiling, I then have a separate dongle from PMP5 that holds the licence for PMP5 & i1 Profiler Publish.

If the transfer licence option has to be used on the new spectro and takes away the licence from the dongle, I won't be very happy.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 04:03:59 am »

I have never been really happy with the i1Pro “dark area” behavior, and I hope to try this new device soon. I noticed that they have implemented a few new features (relating temperature and time) that could improve also the quality of emissive measurements.

My guess is that the latest X-Rite Display colorimeters are still better than spectrometers for emissive readings but wonder whether the reviewers can shed a light on this.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:43 am »

My guess is that the latest X-Rite Display colorimeters are still better than spectrometers for emissive readings but wonder whether the reviewers can shed a light on this.

I doubt that any inexpansive portable 10nm spectrophotometer can be more accurate than lab grade instruments used to characterize spectral sensitivity curves of i1Display pro and spectra of current display types (1nm Konica-Minolta CS-1000 in last case).
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

FMueller

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 08:02:04 am »

IMHO it's not realistic to expect upgrade pricing for the new spectro hardware. Since when do you get cheap upgrades for hardware? 

Well, when your hardware is only a few months old and the manufacturer didn't really give you any heads up that "hey, we got something new just about to be released...." Given all the teeth gnashing about whether to buy UV-cut or not, it would have amounted to a courteous and customer oriented approach. But, hey that's just me...

PhilipCummins

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55:39 am »

If the transfer licence option has to be used on the new spectro and takes away the licence from the dongle, I won't be very happy.

From what I could see you just required a licensed dongle to enable the features, you would only use the transfer license if you wanted to migrate from the old i1Pro to the new i1Pro 2 and then either shelve/sell the old one. In your case you'd just keep using the PMP5 dongle and plug in the i1Pro 2 to use.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:09 am »

The Dealer Guide clearly shows options "To upgrade device only". Email me if you want to see this for yourself.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:35 am »

I thought that this is just the retail price of the "Raven" without the profile making software and it's certainly $300 more than I paid for my i1 Pro last summer.  I don't think this qualifies as an upgrade and the only ones I saw were the spectro/software bundles.

Yes, Alan, this is the "upgrade device only" price for those that have bought i1Pro packages since April of 2011. Look at the dealer guide or have a verbal conversation with your dealer about this. There is separate pricing for those upgrading from "legacy" systems prior to April 2011 or for those buying new system outright. It's all very complicated. I think you must read the Dealer Guide to understand it. Email me if you 'd like to see it.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:07 am »

From what I can see on X-Rite's site; You don't 'just' buy the hardware, you have to buy the lowest inclusive package to get your hands on the hardware. If you already own an i1 Pro and i1Profiler Publish (and possibly have licence fo PMP too) the only 'upgrade' path is to buy the standard i1Pro 2 Basic package for monitors and projectors which includes the requisite new licence for i1profiler too, but wouldn't include printer profiling.

No, there are "upgrade device only" options that are more affordable than the Upgrade Option A and B that you see on the website.

I'll wait to see what the implications of that are, considering the complications of the USB dongle. I've got a dongle via PMP5 > i1profiler. Will i1profiler 1.3 use all the facilities of the new spectro via the existing dongle ? or will the spectro or dongle need upgrading ?

You'd be eligible for the "upgrade device only" options then. The new deivce may or may not come with licensing (I've seen plenty of i1Pro1's that had no licensing at all) so you's likely need to use your dongle.

As ever with X-Rite it's all very complicated, inter-related and confusing.

Yes it is!! It's understandable that people are so confused. It's the dealer's job to make this stuff easier to understand and answer questions about this. I should keep quiet and let them do this.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:14 am »

I should keep quiet and let them do this.

No, this is very helpful - thank you!   ;D ;D

So far all we would know about, without your input, is the $1,499 Option A and $1,699 Option B.

This is very complex, and I have been misinformed by otherwise dependable dealers, depending on who I talk with. I usually know as much or more than the dealers, because I use this stuff day-to-day.  

Especially with a new release like this, it is important to have time to clearly think through all of the options before making a quick decision based on partial, verbal information from someone who hasn't thought through all of the possible scenarios.  

Your input is very valuable!

I am still struggling with learning Lightroom 4, migrating from Photoshop CS 5.5 to CS 6.0 Production Premium, buying a Canon 5D3 or a Nikon D800E, swapping (some of) my 10 Canon L lenses to Nikon, buying a video stabilizer, cage, monitor, audio recorder, what to do with my Zeiss lenses, converting a B4 ENG mount to a G2 camera ----- finishing my taxes --- arg!!   :o ::)

I am willing to go through this once a year, or maybe two.  Then it is time to get back to taking pictures!  Sick of being an engineer all of the time!     :'(

Cheers! Thanks Scott & Andrew!

Michael
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:09:45 am by mmurph »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

Yes, I have a separate article out on using "Measure Reference Chart" for grayscale measurement for QTR grayscale profiling. http://www.on-sight.com/?p=2520  Took me a while to figure out how to get the data sets into i1Profiler but with the saved workflows that I put on my website I think it will make it much easier for others to use.

It appears the new Measure Chart module saves out txt files differently than the other modules. I have to do more testing although I’m not sure I want to spend the time.

IF I save out Spectral data from the module, it appears it isn’t formatted correctly and ColorThink can’t accept this data. Yet saving out the same option elsewhere does seem to work.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »

Yes, Alan, this is the "upgrade device only" price for those that have bought i1Pro packages since April of 2011. Look at the dealer guide or have a verbal conversation with your dealer about this. There is separate pricing for those upgrading from "legacy" systems prior to April 2011 or for those buying new system outright. It's all very complicated. I think you must read the Dealer Guide to understand it. Email me if you 'd like to see it.
I'll check with Chromix as they are the dealer that sold me the i1 Pro last summer.  Thanks!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:15 pm »

It appears the new Measure Chart module saves out txt files differently than the other modules. I have to do more testing although I’m not sure I want to spend the time.

IF I save out Spectral data from the module, it appears it isn’t formatted correctly and ColorThink can’t accept this data. Yet saving out the same option elsewhere does seem to work.

So "Measure Reference Chart" works but "Measure Chart" does not? I love the jagillion formatting options...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:30 am »

So "Measure Reference Chart" works but "Measure Chart" does not? I love the jagillion formatting options...

Haven’t played with Measure Reference Chart. I have saved out measured data from the profile modules.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:10 am »

Haven’t played with Measure Reference Chart. I have saved out measured data from the profile modules.

Well if it helps, you're free to download my QTR workflow files that you can use in Measure Reference Chart. The 21 step target is pretty easy and fast to measure.

http://www.on-sight.com/2012/04/11/using-i1profiler-for-qtr-grayscale-measurement-and-profiling/
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:49 am »

Well if it helps, you're free to download my QTR workflow files that you can use in Measure Reference Chart. The 21 step target is pretty easy and fast to measure.

I’ve already done this in the new module (you can make a chart with only two patches if you wish). That bit is easy. It is the various incarnations of data formats and what they allow us to do within i1Profiler that isn’t clear.

ThDo

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

No, there are "upgrade device only" options that are more affordable than the Upgrade Option A and B that you see on the website.

Do you know the SRP of this option?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:38 am »

Do you know the SRP of this option?

THe US MSRP is $1199.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

ThDo

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »

Thanks for the information.

So it will be cheaper to buy the i1 Basic Pro 2 than only the hardware upgrade.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 01:56:22 am »

Thanks for the information.

So it will be cheaper to buy the i1 Basic Pro 2 than only the hardware upgrade.
Seems to me the hardware upgrade is the i1 Basic Pro 2.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up