Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhere in America  (Read 575 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Somewhere in America
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:15:18 am »

Hi all,

Last autumn/fall we were on our way to Yellowstone and driving up towards Jackson. The sun was at its highest at midday in a totally cloudless sky. At the side of the road we were driving along there was some sort of large asphalt plant with billowing blue smoke and a strong stench of tar, but when I saw this scene from the side of the road I pulled over and thought, harsh shadows, blue smoke, high contrast, cloudless sky, midday etc, the conditions could not be worse, but what the heck I am here on holiday so I will give it a go.

So after setting up my tripod and waiting a while, the wind changed enough for me to eliminate the smoke from the shot, the sky was obviously a wash out, so I framed it to minimise that fact and the shadows would have to fall as they wanted and here is the final result, which I am quite pleased with.

So I suppose the moral of this tale is, don't be put off if the conditions are not as you would want them to be, because they very rarely are, you have made the effort to get there, then why not make the effort to give it your best shot, because sometimes it works out. You would not believe the number of shots I have dismissed in the past because the weather/conditions did not meet my predetermined mental image, but I have learnt now to just get on with it, you can always hit the delete button if it turns out to be a complete failure.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up