Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D with Schneider SPC-TS 50 and/or 120mm ?  (Read 6230 times)

t3hh

• Marek T3hh
    • Flickr
Pentax 645D with Schneider SPC-TS 50 and/or 120mm ?
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:30:01 am »

Schneider tilt-shift lenses are one of the interesting modern PC-TS options for digital medium format. Unfortunately Pentax 645 KAF2 is not supported (although K-mount is). Does anybody have experiences of using either k-mount 50mm f/2.8 Super Angulon and 90mm f/4.5 Makro Symmar for DSLR cameras or 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar for the Phase One camera together with Pentax 645D?
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:46:38 pm by t3hh »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: Pentax 645D with Schneider SPC-TS 50 and/or 120mm ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »

Never used it on a 645D but used it on a Phase 645DF with a Leaf back at PDN Photoplus this year. Its a very solidly built lens, and functions great. Had it explained to me from one of the designers or something.....very unique functionality, very similar to the Hartblei lenses, which there is some tension between over the development of them. The lens IS incredibly well made, but it is bulky and heavy. Should be noted.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

t3hh

• Marek T3hh
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »

Brian I'm curious was it for architecture/landscape shooting or did you do some studio work? I have to say that I'm quite new on MF and only scratching the surface here but I'm fascinated by the detailedness and feel that I'm getting from MF in urban photography. For that Pentax 645D with it's sealed body looks attempting. At the same time I wouldn't imagine this type of work without PC-TS capability (even the moderate one is sometimes not enough). For me the photoshop just doesn't do the trick.
Marek
ps. Just one example of the things that I do these days

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

It was just for studio table type top thing that they had set up. A lot of PhaseOne dealers stock the lens, since its an especially demo-able one since its so intriguing and different from really all the other lenses in the range. My dealer Digital Transitions in NYC has it I believe.

Pentax 645D has that great advantage which it shares with the Leica S2 which is what I would choose over the two if you are opting for a system with a non-removable back.

If you really want T/S abilities I would say get a Leaf or Hasselblad or PhaseOne back and then get a technical camera like an Alpa or Arca Swiss Rm3di which lack autofocus, but you can still do urban work with zone focus or something like that. There are lower priced backs like the Mamiya/Leaf DM22 or a whole slew of excellent used / out of production PhaseOne backs which work great on technical cameras which might be a better route for you.

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »

Brian,
This may not be the right place for this, but can you please explain your perspective in photography. I browsed through your website, and then your flickr stream, then I searched long and hard for any professional website of yours online. I really don't know what kind of photography you do. I see a TON of shots testing things out (lenses, cameras, etc) but I have no clue what your perspective as a photographer really is.

Can you share that with me (us)?

Thanks,
Justin

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:57 pm »

Sure.
First of all I am a student, I am 18, and not a working photographer, and as of right now I have no plans to be a working photographer. It is a hobby that I am very passionate about and that I take very seriously, and enjoy the artistic and technical sides of. I'm lucky enough to be able to basically have whatever equipment I want, and have found that I actually do enjoy writing about equipment on my blog and talking to people about it on forums and in person. Images that you see on my flickr are mostly test shots, some images that I really like, older images of mine, and pictures I have taken with film cameras, which I use for fun. I do a fair amount of portrait work recently, but also enjoy landscape stuff which I do more on vacations and when I am in new and interesting places. I don't show a lot of my work unless I really and truly love it, which is not a lot of my work to me. I will also usually sit on pictures for a while before I show them anywhere. Some of my recent flickr uploads pre-Nikon D4 / Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 APO test shots from Oregon and Costa Rica I have been sitting on for a long time. My portrait work I think of as largely private to me since I do it in a way that is very intimate to me (don't take that the wrong way or anything weird I just feel its personal) and wind up not showing it really because I feel connected to it strangely. Most recently for the past 6-8 months though i have been suffering through some serious medical issues in my life, and consequently have not been as active in actually "taking pictures" as I would like to be for the simple reason that I can't hold a camera. They weigh to much. I can carry my Leica's and have shot a fair amount of film on the M7, and for the past couple of months my M9 has been in Germany getting focus-calibrated for a 90mm summicron that I purchased, and when that is back I will be shooting a little more. But largely all of my cameras, Nikon D4 / D3s, Phase, Hasselblad, Mamiya I cannot carry so I havnt been shooting them. Instead I have found forums and wiring about photography to be a great way to stay connected to it, and have achieved some level of what I like to think is success or respect or reputation (I could be wrong) for it.

Again I am not a working photographer, but own a lot of equipment because I can, and because I enjoy the equipment, as much as I enjoy the art in a way. I don't show a lot of the things unless I'm ready because I don't do it as a job so I don't have to. I am entirely self taught, and feel I know certainly more then a lot of people my age, but also some level of knowledge comparable to others on this forum.

Hope that answers the question....

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

Schneider tilt-shift lenses are one of the interesting modern PC-TS options for digital medium format. Unfortunately Pentax 645 KAF2 is not supported (although K-mount is). Does anybody have experiences of using either k-mount 50mm f/2.8 Super Angulon and 90mm f/4.5 Makro Symmar for DSLR cameras or 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar for the Phase One camera together with Pentax 645D?
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822

back to your actual question, where did you get that picture of the Schneider lens on a Pentax? or is that something you mashed together in photoshop to illustrate the point?

t3hh

• Marek T3hh
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »

back to your actual question, where did you get that picture of the Schneider lens on a Pentax? or is that something you mashed together in photoshop to illustrate the point?
Yes I have to apologize for that but this is a totally hoax (you can see that the body of 645d is backwards). It's based on the fact that this type of Schneider lens lacks any electronics what so ever. So you are able to modify it up to certain level. As I understand it's not possible with Apo Digitar but maybe it is with some of the DSLR models (image circle is larger anyway). But as I see it's not something people have many experiences with and maybe it's not possible at all. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Your suggestion to combine technical camera and digital back is rather good but unfortunately not suitable for my overall style. The interest to combine Pentax 645D and STC-PC comes from the fact this could be a good travel combo with both being very sturdy and 645D having weather sealed body. S2 would also suite for this but carrying $30000 worth of camera in some strange city could not be the best life insurance money can buy. Other then traveling I'm more then happy with film.

My problem is I'm not yet convinced to go to digital with my MF work. For some reason I don't think it's as reliable as good old 120mm film. Some of my professional work is done with DSLR's and I just discovered that one third of the work I did today is in toilet because of one stupid broken microfon. Never have this kind of problems with 120mm film. And can I say that the prices of analog MF gear are rather lovely these days.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:34 pm »

I don't think the 50mm will fit as its registration appears to be tailored for 35mm type mounts.  I am afraid the 120mm is an overpriced rebadging of the 5.6/120mm Makro Symmar, an outstanding lens BTW, with minor modifications.  The Makro Symmar has an M39 mount and I believe Zoerk makes a tilt shift adapter for P645 to M39.  The whole thing would be a fraction of the SPC-TS 120mm, perhaps slightly less stable.  Alternatively you could give Schneider USA a call.  There used to be a super-nice guy in Studio City (John Soringias ?SP?), who recently retired.  AFAIK they have replaced him or are in the process of replacing him (almost impossible).  Otherwise, their New York office is very nice and helpful. 

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:20:15 am »

Also the Hartblei lenses are like identical but made by Zeiss and some stuff, I think they may make a mount...
Pages: [1]   Go Up